Most Versatile Studio Amp to Buy???

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

maggot
ass engineer

Post by maggot » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:50 pm

I think what you're finding is that "versatile" and "guitar amps" don't really go that well together, especially if you've got a nice old Telecaster.

That said, you may find that a Fender Vibro-Champ with a good speaker and some pedals (at least a Tube Screamer and a Big Muff) can cover a lot of ground, and they're small and relatively cheap.

If you go the modeling route, I'd suggest Vox, because they sound the most like "real" amps to me. But my real suggestion would be to find out what a small, cheap tube amp can do, then branch out.

metanoiastudios
buyin' gear

Post by metanoiastudios » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:30 am

Given the different Bassman models out there, would this be the one that most people praise for being equally usable as a bass amp and a guitar amp?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-59-Bassm ... 45fcfc2285
http://www.paulojuarez.com
*Will trade design work for gear!*

JefffM
alignin' 24-trk

Post by JefffM » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:53 am

jgimbel wrote:a couple kind of grungy amps (two Danelectro Dirty 30s and an Electar Tube 10)
Not sure I agree with you about the Electar Tube 10 being "grungy".

I replaced the speaker with a Weber (or was it a Jensen - so long ago I can't remember) and the valves with ones recommended for a more "Fendery" tone and it sounds great for clean stuff - pretty close to an old Fender Champ.

The beauty of this amp is you can switch the valves for different types so easily (just remove the cage on the back with a couple of screws) no biasing necessary.

There are lots of mods for it online but just changing the valves and speaker really transforms this little beast. Sounds amazing through a 2x10 cabinet.

Gotta get myself a Danno Dirty 30 though...

Also looking at the Vox AC-4 which can be switched down to 1/4 watt so you can get a cranked up sound at low volume.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:43 am

>>>>Also looking at the Vox AC-4 which can be switched down to 1/4 watt so you can get a cranked up sound at low volume.<<<<

I have the mini; this is a cool little amp.

GJ

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:38 pm

JefffM wrote:
jgimbel wrote:a couple kind of grungy amps (two Danelectro Dirty 30s and an Electar Tube 10)
Not sure I agree with you about the Electar Tube 10 being "grungy".
When it's clean, the Electar absolutely does sound not far from a Champ. I have other amps that have clean sounds I like better so I rarely use it, but I'm happy to have it here for use now and then. But when I crank mine, it's definitely edging closer toward a grungy, almost beginning of a fuzz sound, as opposed to the smoother overdrive that most any less than high-gain amp I've tried has. It's kind of thick, kind of edgy. It kind of sounds to me a bit like the "more drive" of the Hot Rod Deluxes (minus the newest version) - it's not a sound I'd like to have as my only overdrive sound, but now and then it can work as kind of a different effect. I'm not saying it sounds totally like a fuzz pedal or anything, but more grungy/thick than something like a Valve Junior is definitely how I'd describe it.
JefffM wrote:Gotta get myself a Danno Dirty 30 though...
I've got two here and it's been a while since I've used both, if you're interested! PM me.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

fsom
audio school graduate

Post by fsom » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:11 am

I haven't done much recording with it, but I really like the Orange tiny terror combo. Switchable from 7 to 15 watts, sounds great both clean and overdriven.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:20 pm

The Vox Valetronix series actually sounds really good, especially if you change out the speakers in them. Very versatile, easy to use and actually sound good.

Rolsen
steve albini likes it

Post by Rolsen » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:32 am

After a long, expensive and disappointing journey to find a 'versatile' amp, I came to the conclusion (already stated in this thread) that one-trick pony amps are the way to go. That said, my Egnater Tweaker head/cab setup yields some incredible tones, and was designed to cover the fender/vox/marshal thing. I'm not going to say that it does those perfectly, but each setting sounds incredible on their own, without doing any direct comparison. And, it seams to be the only cheap(er) amp that comes with a decent speaker stock - Celestion G12 H30. I suppose if I wanted to cover the fender/vox/marshall thing, I'd buy 3 small amps: fender vibrolux, vox nightrain or AC4, marshall class 5.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:12 am

Rolsen wrote: I suppose if I wanted to cover the fender/vox/marshall thing, I'd buy 3 small amps: fender vibrolux, vox nightrain or AC4, marshall class 5.
:lol:

I have a Pro,Jr., a 2554 and a Pathfinder (which, tho' S/S, sounds Vox-ish) set-up and immediately accessible in my bedio.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.