Orban 642b

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Joe_caithness
audio school

Orban 642b

Post by Joe_caithness » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:12 pm

Hey! First post!

So, this EQ, seems to divide people, I bought one last week for 380 GBP, which seemed like a good deal looking at prices, these have suddenly gone up in price is seems? Mines a blackface

Had a few people go "OH! I remember them! I used to like em! wonder where mine is.."

What do you all think of it? It's a pretty direct and forthright sounding EQ, I've only been using it to pull thud out of the bottom end (in mastering) at the moment, need a bit more time to get my ears round the other bands..

Image here it is

so yeah, hey either way.
http://www.subsequentmastering.com Online mastering studio

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:59 pm

I used to have one of those as well as a blue 622. The 642 was definitely more useful - some usable headroom, less noise. Didn't do anything particularly exciting, but was nice to have around for tracking stage adjustments. I liked it for toms and room mics at tracking to filter/cut out unwanted murk or cymbal hash. Supposedly there are some mods that can be done to them to make them a little cleaner. The main thing was making sure you kept it from distorting. It was easier than with the 622 which always wanted to crunch, but the 642 distorting is not a sound you want to hear. Generally it had enough headroom to avoid such situations, but something to be aware of if tracking hot signals.

Joe_caithness
audio school

Post by Joe_caithness » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:21 am

Very true, I've currently got it calibrated within my processing chain so that it is on about 3dB gain on the input, and I have only had a peak light pop up when doing silly boosts to see how the EQ sound completely ringy, I also have my TFPRO compressor before it with some clean gain if I need to knock it down, so I'm all good here.

The only challenge (not problem) I am facing right now is learning the tolerance between the two channels, as it seems to be different on each band, it's good though, if anything it makes me appreciate the hard work of engineers of the past, pre plugin recall ;)
http://www.subsequentmastering.com Online mastering studio