Yamaha CP70 -- PIANO amps??

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kingmetal
buyin' gear

Post by kingmetal » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:53 am

Sounds like I need to give this thing a shot out of a good reproduction medium (PA or powered monitor). I sort of wrote off the quality of the piano sound due to the lack of sound board and stage pedigree -- I need to spend more time with it and figure out what its capabilities are before I judge it too harshly.

Having an instrument that can run clean if you want it, and dirty when you need it sounds exactly like what I've been looking for.

Oh, and thanks cgarges for making me lust for a Pacemaker now. Almost bought on on ePay...
Little Ship Studios
--------------------
Little Ship is proud to announce Bill Wild's EP Phone Number

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:04 pm

The main advantage of a cp70, thirty years ago, was that it was the only electric keyboard that really "felt" at all like a piano, with hammers hitting relatively long strings.

Some pianists responded really well to the cp for that reason. Herbie Hancock or Michael McDonald would give band performances on the cp that felt very "piano-ish" even though as we know the timbre isn't quite like an acoustic or sample-based digital piano. Often they'd have a cp and a Rhodes in the same keyboard setup, because they're so different.

In other words, the cp70 will probably sound better, run direct, once a good pianist plays it in the middle of a good band.

But whether this is better than just using whatever acoustic piano is in the studio, I dunno.
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra