Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:58 am

trodden wrote:I just wanted to say.. "whack attack".... again. .that is all.
That looked fun.
I would like to try that too.

Whack Attack!

yep.
Harumph!

Rob Coates
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Rob Coates » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:00 am

Just got a vintage Shure M67 that I paid next to nothing for. This thing looks brand new. Can't see any signs of wear or use anywhere. I love this preamp with ribbons for vocals. Sounds way better than I expected based on descriptions I've read on forums. With some attention to gain staging, I have no problem with noise.
Have the new Overstayer SDP comp on the way. Can't wait to get that and try it out.
RobCoates

Rob Coates
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Rob Coates » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:01 am

Just got a vintage Shure M67 that I paid next to nothing for. This thing looks brand new. Can't see any signs of wear or use anywhere. I love this preamp with ribbons for vocals. Sounds way better than I expected based on descriptions I've read on forums. With some attention to gain staging, I have no problem with noise.
Have the new Overstayer SDP comp on the way. Can't wait to get that and try it out.
RobCoates

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:38 pm

CMV563+m7s. I was pretty happy with 4038s on violins and cellos before; the 563 was just that much better - especially on the violins. Had two bands in this weekend and got to try it on electric guitars (ranged from bad to passable), hand percussion (as good as played-so-fast hippie drums will ever sound, I guess), strings (as noted, fantastic), and messed around with acoustic guitar and my own voice (worked really well.) Drumkit tomorrow!

I wish there were swivel mounts available. I hate shockmounts so much.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:14 pm

My first vintage mic, first Neumann, from a great (talented and generous!) fellow Tape Opper. Tested it a bit today on acoustic guitar and as a mono drum overhead, and I'm in love already. Looks like some other purchases will be getting pushed back when I'm ready to look to make it a pair. Good god, what it does to cymbals and toms. Beautiful.

My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:25 am

weatherbox wrote:CMV563+m7s. I was pretty happy with 4038s on violins and cellos before; the 563 was just that much better - especially on the violins. Had two bands in this weekend and got to try it on electric guitars (ranged from bad to passable), hand percussion (as good as played-so-fast hippie drums will ever sound, I guess), strings (as noted, fantastic), and messed around with acoustic guitar and my own voice (worked really well.) Drumkit tomorrow!

I wish there were swivel mounts available. I hate shockmounts so much.
That's intersting. My CMVs are just too midrangey for me to use on violins most of the time. Great mics, though.

There were those mic mounts that were attached to the multi-pin cable at the bottom and you might be able to find one of those as an alternative to the shockmounts. Also, there are a few large mics, like wireless mics, where the swivel mounts will fit the CMV bodies.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by wren » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:36 am

After years of trying to convince myself that I don't really have enough outboard gear to justify buying the amount of cable it would take to get a patchbay up and running, I stumbled across someone on ebay selling a crapton of Canare/Neutrik snakes for super-cheap. I ended up winning (I believe) 64 channels' worth of TRS snakes from them in a variety of 16-, 8-, and 4-channel versions for under $200 shipped. They all came today, and I'm so excited. :D One more Neutrik patchbay and one more ~8-space rack and I'll be taking a huge step forward in workflow arrangement.

So stoked. :D
"I don't need time, I need a deadline." -Duke Ellington

"I liked the holes in it as much as I liked what was in them." -Tom Waits

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:36 am

cgarges wrote:
That's intersting. My CMVs are just too midrangey for me to use on violins most of the time. Great mics, though.
they were definitely midrangey, but in a good way. This was in context of super dense post rock kinda stuff as well, not hi-fi classical string stuff; the CMV was really bumping up the lower mids (as compared to the Coles where it feels like a straight up bass boost) and it had a cool mellotron-ish sort of string feel. I also had the CMV placed a little oddly - it had been set up for the cello, and I just raised it up a little for the violin rather than raise it up high like I do with the Coles. Either way, myself and the performer instantly went for it when we auditioned the two. Mebbe a fluke, but it nailed it this time.

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:00 pm

Pair of Tannoy PBM 6.5 II's. I have monitors again! :D
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:15 pm

I finally found a Deluxe Reverb I could afford.
I asked the seller if she had caught her man with another woman... nope just raising some money
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:07 pm

Electro-Voice 664 wrote:I finally found a Deluxe Reverb I could afford.
I asked the seller if she had caught her man with another woman... nope just raising some money
You got it? Excellent score.
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:52 pm

yeah, I got it.
late 70's deluxe, super clean.
It needed 2 tubes, but is singing now.
I feel very fortunate.
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:36 pm

A used Yamaha Cocktail set. Nice small 6in snare -- great for those extra quiet gigs ~!http://www.yamaha-europe.com/picture_ar ... gh_jpg.jpg
whatever happened to ~ just push record......

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:43 pm

Smitty wrote:Pair of Tannoy PBM 6.5 II's. I have monitors again! :D
Love 'em! Been using 'em for about 18 years now.

Just won a Yamaha S03 offa Evilbay because someone here (roygbiv, based onna reco from mebbe Roscoenyc) reco'd it to me - can't wait to receive it! :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:21 pm

vvv wrote:
Smitty wrote:Pair of Tannoy PBM 6.5 II's. I have monitors again! :D
Love 'em! Been using 'em for about 18 years now.
You're part of the reason I got 'em. Also cause I got a good deal. I've tried enough actives to know I don't enjoy mixing on them.

NS-10's were the best I've used so far in terms of enjoyment and having my mixes translate, but I was never quite "there" with them.

The Tannoys seem like the next logical step.