If you had $100 to get yourself a Xmas gift...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:44 am

I got one of these for christmas and i'm having a blast w it. Haven't checked the price..

<object width="640" height="360"><param></param><param></param><param></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8_QFHI3lDiw&re ... &version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:10 pm

Another Xmas, another $100. Nothing from http://rondomusic.com is grabbing me, at the moment.
Heh I realize this comment is old but very little has grabbed me at Rondo. Used to be a big fan maybe 10 years ago but the last guitar I got from them (2 years ago?) was really mediocre for $400...definitely better competition IMHO from the likes of Schecter and others if you watch the used market. I'm not a rock star that only plays Gibsons and appreciate a cheap guitar as much as the next person, but I've found that Agile just doesn't have what I like in terms of playability and build quality...even after a good setup.

As far as where to put that $100....I think I need to sell something myself, rather than continuously acquire GREAT deals I have found on lesser known classic keyboards on Craigslist as I have lately...my basement is getting quite crowded... I say spend a little money to get some more cabling!

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:18 pm

blungo2 wrote:I got one of these for christmas and i'm having a blast w it. Haven't checked the price..

<object width="640" height="360"><param></param><param></param><param></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8_QFHI3lDiw&re ... &version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>
Uh I need one of these!

Also I didn't know you could embed videos on the forum... Cool

and what was that Roland synth?! That thing looked awesome!

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:27 pm

kslight wrote:
Another Xmas, another $100. Nothing from http://rondomusic.com is grabbing me, at the moment.
Heh I realize this comment is old but very little has grabbed me at Rondo. Used to be a big fan maybe 10 years ago but the last guitar I got from them (2 years ago?) was really mediocre for $400...definitely better competition IMHO from the likes of Schecter and others if you watch the used market. I'm not a rock star that only plays Gibsons and appreciate a cheap guitar as much as the next person, but I've found that Agile just doesn't have what I like in terms of playability and build quality...even after a good setup.
I dunno man, I bought an Agile AL-3000 a few years back and it rules. It holds up against my $2000 custom guitar I have (even though it'different style of guitar). The only thing that is remotely a little "meh" on it is the tuners but they are still decent. I am not remorsefull at all for buying the AL-3000.

Rondo has some Lap Steel's I've been eyeing lately.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:22 pm

I'm with Brett. One time I was heading to a Craigslister's house to possibly pick up a Telecaster and I happened to try the guy's Agile Les Paul-type. I was pretty impressed. I used to have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. Granted that wasn't the cream of the crop for Les Pauls, but not a bad guitar, and without looking at the name I'm not sure I would have been able to tell the difference. Now a past client turned friend mentioned he had an Agile Les Paul that he hadn't touched in a year and figured my spot would be a good place for it to be (and definitely welcome even if only for the fact that I only have one other humbucker in the place). I've been using it for some session guitar work, and while the tuners are definitely a weak spot, it sounds pretty nice and plays easily. If I wanted a Gibson Les Paul, I would get a Gibson, but if I wanted an Epiphone, I'd probably buy an Agile.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:32 pm

Hey Now! That "Thingamagoop" does look most excellent. I'm also interested in the Korg Kaoss Pad MiniKP (I have had the original Kaossilator for a year and a half and haven't been able to put it down), and the new Monotribe. There are a bunch of cool toys; then again, I might save the C-Note for awhile and build it up until I could buy another microphone (I think I've already proven you can never have enough of those).

GJ

PS-- The keyboard in the video looks like it might be the Roland SH-09?
Check this-- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjhrY5ku4bI

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:19 pm

Brett Siler wrote:
kslight wrote:
I dunno man, I bought an Agile AL-3000 a few years back and it rules. It holds up against my $2000 custom guitar I have (even though it'different style of guitar). The only thing that is remotely a little "meh" on it is the tuners but they are still decent. I am not remorsefull at all for buying the AL-3000.

Rondo has some Lap Steel's I've been eyeing lately.
The tuners haven't bothered me but I have had issues withe bridges, nuts, neck stability, wiring, and the fretboard radius....keep in mind this is with having Agile guitars in excess of five years each... Yes most of those can be changed relatively easily but the fretboard radius in combination with the neck shape that Agile uses on most of their guitars (13.7") is much less comfortable for me to play than for example Schecter's (12"), which to me is the big difference I can tell with an Agile versus most other guitars...I didn't realize what this feel difference was until a couple years ago but since I have stayed away. The last Agile guitar I bought had bridge and nut issues out of the box...nut was way over cut (unusable, and obviously nothing you can do but replace it) and the bridge was a roller type and the rollers kept flying off while playing. The pickups were also mis-advertised as single coils when they were in fact humbuckers. And I paid twice as much for it as I had each of my previous Agiles (this was the Agile Argus 30" scale model, which is a piece of trash, far inferior to its main competition...and I do have a lot of experience with this type of axe). Two out of three of the set neck Agiles I have bought (one SG type that I still own, one LP type that I do not) have developed cracks in the neck....and I do keep my guitars shop adjusted in standard tuning with appropriate strings.

To each their own, but my experience with Agile has not been as positive as others. I wish I could say their guitars were fantastic because I'd play them, but I just can't.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:38 pm

Sorry to hear your troubles. I think I've had mine for 3 years now with no troubles at all.

Zacharia Matilda
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Zacharia Matilda » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:37 pm

EV re11 or an Effectron. Both already mentioned, both great suggestions.
:^:
dehumidified

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:57 pm

New sticky hammer tips for my "new to me" Hohner Pianet T (thanks Djembe). $80 from Clavinet.com

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:01 pm

an 8th of hi-grade?

just a thought
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:36 pm

"an 8th of hi-grade? "

Mang, that's a big fuel tank ...

Eh, never mind.

:twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:18 pm

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:New sticky hammer tips for my "new to me" Hohner Pianet T (thanks Djembe). $80 from Clavinet.com
I picked up a Pianet T off CL on Christmas day.

I love it
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:14 pm

Electro-Voice 664 wrote:
A.David.MacKinnon wrote:New sticky hammer tips for my "new to me" Hohner Pianet T (thanks Djembe). $80 from Clavinet.com
I picked up a Pianet T off CL on Christmas day.

I love it

That's been on my "hope to find on Craigslist for super cheap" list for awhile. Still waiting...

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:22 pm

New tubes and capacitors for my Fisher SpaceXpander reverb unit

Plus some decent 12AX7 and EL84 tubes for my tiny Bugera amp