In the Thick of Interface Research

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Hello
audio school

In the Thick of Interface Research

Post by Hello » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:10 pm

So! I'm looking to buy a new 8-channel/8-preamp interface for, like, $500.00 or so. I'm running DP 7.24 on a Mac (obvs).

1. I'm leaning very strongly toward the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, but, while most of the reviews I've read have been extra positive, there's a lot of talk of the software being glitchy and the preamps being kind of a bummer.

2. I flat-out REFUSE to buy any PreSonus products at this point, so the FireStudio is out of the question.

3. Another strong contender is the MOTU 8pre which seems a lot like the Pro 40, but only has one set of outputs -- so, I'd have to buy some sort of special dealie if I want to hook up anything besides a set of studio monitors.

4. There are other MOTU interfaces, but they're a bit more expensive and might be a bit of overkill for my needs.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

keplar
audio school graduate

Post by keplar » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:23 pm

I have the Saffire Pro24, which I believe uses the same MixControl software as the Pro40. The only problem I've ever had was when I went from Vista 32bit to Win7 64bit; and that was because I overlooked some directions from Focusrite. My previous interface was a Presonus Firebox (died) -- so I can understand your sentiment on Presonus gear. Comparing the sound between the two, I prefer the Pro24 by far. The preamps are not harsh in the high end and the drivers have been rock solid for about a year -- seriously, never a glitch, which is unusual IMO. The preamps are definitely useable, have good headroom, and pair well with my mics.

My system specs are a desktop Intel Core i3, 8GB RAM, Win7-64bit, running Reaper 4.14. The firewire card is a PCIe Syba with TI chipset.
Keplar
Recording Artist, Techie, and DIY addict
www.Keplar.net

E.Bennett
re-cappin' neve

Post by E.Bennett » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:35 pm

echo audiofire?

Scott Greenberg
pluggin' in mics

Post by Scott Greenberg » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:38 pm

I recently bought a Saffire Pro 40 and have been satisfied with it.
Good sounding preamps and tons of connectivity options.

The Mix Control software can be a bit dense at times, but once you get it working its fine. Don't let that be the only reason not to buy one.
I'd like to change your mind by hitting it with a rock.

-TMBG

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:49 pm

I highly recommend buying an interface with a generous return policy.
My first decent interface was an echo audiofire pre8, and while i still can't fault the convertors on it, all of the analog section left a lot to be desired. The pres, the headphone amp and main outs were all noisy and weak.
If you already have a headphone/monitoring solution and good pres it won't matter, but i didn't.
It seems like the analog sections are where makers skimp if they're going to cut costs.

If you plan on keeping it for a while and using it a lot, it might be worthwhile to spend more on an interface and not have to upgrade when you get to an important project. Not that i'm at all knocking what you're looking at, they me be perfect.

rodreb
audio school graduate

Post by rodreb » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:30 am

Gotta second the Echo Audiofire vote. Loving my AF-12!
ROD

Imaginary Friend Recording

HeavyHand
takin' a dinner break

Post by HeavyHand » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:09 am

i've heard great things about the M-audio Profire 2626. i would check into that one if i was on the market.
Ok, who brought the dog? - Louis Tully
www.facebook.com/BigTerribleMusic

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:57 am

I think that you'd be crazy to use DP with anything other than a MOTU interface. They have very solid, tight hardware/software integration. Wanna giggle to yourself when you see people talking about recording input latency and buffers? Get a MOTU. MOTU boxes on Mac OS are rock solid and wonderful to use with DP.

dgrieser
steve albini likes it

Post by dgrieser » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:35 am

I like my Steinberg MR816x. Pres are definitely usable, and the conversion sounds great to me. You'd have to buy used to get it for around $500.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:13 pm

Motu 828 mkiii.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Hello
audio school

Post by Hello » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:11 pm

Thanks for all of your thoughts!

I agree about the MOTU interfaces -- I just can't decide if the 8pre is worth it. The 828mk3 is a bit out of my price range at this point.

I'm back to thinking that the 8pre is the way to go.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:54 pm

This isn't going to sound like uber-sexy advice, but I have to say, my trusty old MOTU 828mk2 with the Black Lion Mod is just awesome. I've compared it to a lot of stuff over the years (I've had mine since 2003 and with the mod since 2006) and it is just rock solid and sounds so so good. I have an Apogee Duet as well and they are both on the same playing field. Really happy about it. I'm considering buying a second one and having it modified to have 8 additional inputs. I know I know...it's old.

You can pick up the interface for like $300, the mod is another $300, and the microclock Mk2 is an additional $315 when you buy it with the mod. So this just killed your budget. However, you can always pick thing sups in steps.

http://www.blacklionaudio.com/content.php?p=10

I agree with Chris, I NEVER EVER even think about latency unless I am using outboard (And then I use the latency fixer plug-in to help with monitoring and bump things back in place). Tracking and monitoring...no latency. Been this way for me since 2003. And MOTU has updated drivers for DP7.24 as I just installed it on my new MacBook Pro and it works like a charm.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord