Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:16 pm

Oh shit, now I just took home a Yamaha YC-45D combo organ in fantastic shape...$50.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:28 am

Bing drunk on evilBog is not good. :oops:

ISA One, USA$300.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

T-rex
resurrected

Post by T-rex » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:18 pm

Just received my Fathead blumlein package christmas deal for $299 and I got to say, they sound pretty damn good. I threw them up in a blumlein pair about 6 ft in front of the drums about 4 ft high and they sounded amazingly well balanced. Crushed with a microlimiter they sound unbelievable, like parallel with the normal mic sounds and the microlimiter mixed in, that would be the only mics I would need even in a heavy mix. Crazy.

Can't wait to get to using these.

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:11 am

Found a Markbass Traveller 102P (2x10") cab on GC's used gear site, to complete my bass amp rig (well, until I somehow need to be even louder than this, and get another 8 ohm cab).

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:11 pm

I found an excellent deal locally on a one-owner 1954 Hammond M2 organ. Holy bleep, this thing is clean. Everything works, super solid, and it sounds AWESOME. Inside the bench lid, there's a maintenance record showing it receiving annual oilings since 1955. Picking it up early next week!

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by wren » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:00 pm

NF Audio MC10 monitor controller. No more using my console as monitor controller, no siree. :D

Also got a modified Trends Audio TA10.1 power amp for my Auratones, which I just finished refoaming and rewiring. Also also was given a VHT V-Drive for Christmas, and although I haven't actually used it in this capacity yet I have a hunch it'll make a really good "make-thing-dirty" compressor or parallel effect on an aux send, as it seems to not be bandpass-filter-y (like most overdrive pedals are in my experience). It's very excellent and versatile as an overdrive too.

And the Tom Waits: In the Studio book for Christmas as well. (That kind of counts as gear, right?)
"I don't need time, I need a deadline." -Duke Ellington

"I liked the holes in it as much as I liked what was in them." -Tom Waits

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:23 am

Snark SN-2 arrived yesterday, about $12.60 shipped (I think $7.50 before shipping). Bright display, seems to work well on bass, guitar and uke (it's chromatic). This model uses either the contact/clip or the built-in mic.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:50 am

vvv wrote:Bing drunk on evilBog is not good. :oops:

ISA One, USA$300.
Really not good!

I failed to check the seller's ratings.

Some jackarse named "lyraltonay96" is holding up deliver on the ISA One (due 12-30) because Paypal won't remit to him the money I paid them on 12-22! (The hold-up, I'm guessing, is mebbe related to his other evilBog probs...)

I hate morons, thieves and amateurs! :x
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

sears
steve albini likes it

Post by sears » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:54 am

Tannoy Power V8 monitor and Mackie 402VLZ3. Now I have a PA.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:49 pm

vvv wrote:
vvv wrote:Bing drunk on evilBog is not good. :oops:

ISA One, USA$300.
Really not good!

I failed to check the seller's ratings.

Some jackarse named "lyraltonay96" is holding up deliver on the ISA One (due 12-30) because Paypal won't remit to him the money I paid them on 12-22! (The hold-up, I'm guessing, is mebbe related to his other evilBog probs...)

I hate morons, thieves and amateurs! :x
In case you don't know (from the eBay selling policy page):

If PayPal places a temporary hold on payments you receive for an item you sold, you're not allowed to hold shipment until the funds are released.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:29 pm

Yep; seems like a obvious thing, no?

FWIW, if ya wanna larf, my blog has the blow-by-blow; far as I know, there's no reason I can't publish this stuff, and it's mebbe educational, as well as funny.

But I gotta say, between this and the PayPal limits ($5k forever if you don't link yer bank account? WTF?), not to mention the risk of drunk 'bayin', I may just quit evilBog and make my buys only from stores or offa Amazon.

Back on topic:

I ordered and rec'd some mic-mount stuff as I wanna try ORTF, etc., from one mic stand.
Last edited by vvv on Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:30 pm

kslight wrote:
KennyLusk wrote:
kslight wrote:Just received and eagerly wanting to try out...

Electro Harmonix Ravish Sitar (what can I say I'm a sucker for cheese and oddballs)
Pigtronix Keymaster (I've got so many pedals now I'm wanting to try this with)
Boss RC-300 Loopstation + assorted footswitches (as popular as looping is getting I really want to see what I can do with it...got a new project started that will benefit from this workflow greatly as I'm doing it computerless)
Holy crap, when did EH come out with the Ravish box? Just this year? Very interested to hear what you think of it. Please fill us in.
A couple months ago. If you are a fan of the POG/HOG pedals they make then you will like it. It definitely has a synthetic sound to it to some extent (similar to what I call the POG sound), but it goes in a much more interesting range than the POG and then you have the sympathetic drones. The timbre controls offer a surprising amount of tonal variety and there are presets which I haven't really gotten my head around yet. Also not one but 2 expression jacks for the control junkies. I only spent about 15 mins with it but it is pretty cool...takes a minute to dial it in but you can definitely come up with some interesting tones (sitar-ish or not...some settings lend more to synthesizer-ish). I tried it with a bass VI style guitar (my main axe) and a regular guitar. Definitely need a regular guitar to get somewhat realistic sitar-ish tones, but with the bass you can get some odd bass synth things happening. I'm also very curious to find out what happens when drum machines/synths/etc are effected by this.

Its maybe a bit expensive for cheese at $240 and rather specialized but I'm not aware of anything that goes to similar sonic territories...definitely not as much of a one trick pony as say an electric sitar would be to your rig...you can forgo the whole sitar bill on it if you want and have fun.
OK, my wife made me order one of these when she saw the video online. Of course she didn't have to twist my arm too much.

So far I really like it. It's been a long time since a pedal put that kind of smile on my face. Haven't tried it with bass guitar yet but really love the way it sounds with my Strat.

The build quality is good, the control pots are very nice...smooth.

Nice recommendation. Sweetwater service was sterling as usual.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:57 pm

KennyLusk wrote:
OK, my wife made me order one of these when she saw the video online. Of course she didn't have to twist my arm too much.

So far I really like it. It's been a long time since a pedal put that kind of smile on my face. Haven't tried it with bass guitar yet but really love the way it sounds with my Strat.

The build quality is good, the control pots are very nice...smooth.

Nice recommendation. Sweetwater service was sterling as usual.
Yeah, in my experience EHX pedals are pretty well built and interesting for mass produced pedals. I wrote my first song with it last night, I used it on an otherwise lame bass synth sound as well as several guitar loops in conjunction with the looper pedal I bought. I still haven't spent much time with it but so far its neat. This is the first pedal I've bought I think where I've had to dig through the manual to see all the features available...a lot below the surface on this one.

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:02 pm

RME UFX and an API 3124 for mobile use. If I can get someplace w/o internet, I might actually finish some of my own music.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:12 pm

wren wrote:And the Tom Waits: In the Studio book for Christmas as well. (That kind of counts as gear, right?)
Whoa I didn't know that existed! I need it.