Drum Microphone Shoot-Out (Mono Room)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:15 am

Hah. I love it. People tend to have strong feelings for or against it though, kind of like the Grateful Dead or Dave Matthews.

GJ

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:16 am

That's Dave "Mumbles" Matthews, to me. :twisted:

I thought the Teac a little "treble-crunchy", the MXL a little compressed-sounding, almost processed, and use-able by itself.

For mix OH's, I liked the ribbons the best and the Fathead the best of them, but then I use a MXL 144, also about 10' out but at 5' because our ceilings are about 6'6" (dropping to 6" for the duct work, all walboarded . :roll: )
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

opus
pluggin' in mics

Post by opus » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:11 am

I like the MXL and the Fathead. I want chunk out of my room mics not cymbals... It's smoother and easier on the ears to me. The bleed from the tom mics in a multi mic situation will give you enough brittle highs to have to deal with. Not really feeling the Teac. It could work in context but never have I thought to myself "If only the drums could sound thinner.."

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:14 pm

Funny thing, opus. You'd think that, but in context, it works perfectly, and the Fathead would be waaaayyy to dark (for me, anyway).

I'll try to get some solo drum tracks up with "the works," so you can hear the Teac in-context.

GJ

opus
pluggin' in mics

Post by opus » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:37 pm

I believe it. In context is what matters obviously. I am into big dark roomy post rock, post hardcore type of things so I lean toward the darker heavier room sound and like to supplement them with close mics for snap and punch. But I can see how the Teac could add the midrange needed in context of the song. I like these type of threads. You get to use your ears and not your mouth. Thanks for posting!

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jitters » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:05 am

I liked the MXL best, but could see the Teak adding some useful aggressiveness. I guess the ribbons would be cool to take some edge off, but I usually use a xanax for that...