Hamptone ~ JFET vs. Tube - STILL CAN'T DECIDE!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mechanicalmastering
takin' a dinner break

Hamptone ~ JFET vs. Tube - STILL CAN'T DECIDE!

Post by mechanicalmastering » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:51 pm

After tons of research I STILL can't decide which one to get. I know that I want something slightly colored yet stackable, it will be paired with a really nice clean pre and used primarily for vocals, guitars, re-amping various samples, elements that would occupy a similar range as a snare drum, (like hand clamps for instance), and anything else that might benefit from a little bit of rounded color. Anyone have links to a shootout or something?
Which one sounds BIGGER?
Which one is more musical?
Thx!

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:20 pm

Inverseroom said:
...the JFET is right up there with the [Hamptone]tube and the JLM though! It's more saturated and characterful, to my ear.
Mic Pre Shootout! Hamptone vs. JLM Audio vs. Yamaha PM180

mechanicalmastering
takin' a dinner break

Post by mechanicalmastering » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:39 pm

Mic Pre Shootout! Hamptone vs. JLM Audio vs. Yamaha PM180
Thanks a lot! File 404 not found :(

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:06 pm

Darn. I think there may be another thread or two where john compares the two on here, though no mp3 links on those as I recall.

I think either one would supply you color and size. I have the JFET and it certainly can do those things. Huge bass DI!

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:19 pm

shedshrine, that GIF you're using as a signature is freaking me out.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:33 pm

In a bad way or a good way? :lol:

The birds slow down their flight pattern when traffic is higher. That's how I first saw them when I "borrowed" them from other skies.

I just wanted to change things up after having the Tascam 388 fanboy headlines monikor for 6 years running.. :wink:

mechanicalmastering
takin' a dinner break

Post by mechanicalmastering » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:52 pm

Inverseroom said:
...the JFET is right up there with the [Hamptone]tube and the JLM though! It's more saturated and characterful, to my ear.
Damn, Inverseroom was kind enough to toss me a link to his track with all JFET, it was AMAZZZZZING!!! (Maybe he'll chime in and post it?) Soooo very incredible and musical, if someone doesn't show me a superior offering from the tube soon, my finger's going to go trigger-happy on the HJFP2 link on Scott's site.

(ahem,,, http://hamptone.com/hjfp2_info.html)

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:21 pm

mechanicalmastering wrote:
Inverseroom said:
Damn, Inverseroom was kind enough to toss me a link to his track with all JFET, it was AMAZZZZZING!!! (Maybe he'll chime in and post it?) Soooo very incredible and musical, if someone doesn't show me a superior offering from the tube soon, my finger's going to go trigger-happy on the HJFP2 link on Scott's site.

(ahem,,, http://hamptone.com/hjfp2_info.html)
I've got 2 of John's CD's (inverseroom) and they're super creative IMO. He's got the JFET and the valve version I think and at least the JFET is used pretty heavily on both records. Cool stuff. You should check out both of his records even if only to listen to the production. Mastered them himself too; impressive.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

mechanicalmastering
takin' a dinner break

Post by mechanicalmastering » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:45 pm

Mastered them himself too
That, is VERY cool.

mechanicalmastering
takin' a dinner break

Post by mechanicalmastering » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:10 pm

Anyone else care to chime in? I'd really love to hear some samples of the tube pre.

fedexnman
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by fedexnman » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:27 am

PROS : Well the jfet is cheaper CONS: None . The way I look at it you get a 2 channel mic-pre for the cost of a 1 channel name brand neve,api,avalon, etc etc . Both the jfet and tube have transformers in them. I really dont think you could go wrong with either of them.
is it beer 30 yet?????