please help..major problems with ms2000r

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

amyfletcher@ymail.com
audio school

please help..major problems with ms2000r

Post by amyfletcher@ymail.com » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:08 am

hi all..
i have a big problem with my ms2000r. if someone could please help me out..i tried the boards and forums but cant find a solution..and no im not a ditsy girl lol..here goes..

for the last few months, i noticed that it takes loner and longer to switch between the sounds..then some sounds wouldnt play at all..

today,while in the middle of recording a track,my friend pressed something and now nothing works.

it turns on, and i can scroll through the diffrernt sounds+menus, but midi isnt registering and no sound comes out of the 1-16 buttons work if i press the keyboard button on the left (out of the outs or headphone port)..

i tried the firmware upgrade and am now running 1.7 (though it says 7 on the screen) i think..
i did the menu->2d->global/program reset and still nothing..
i did the re init: hold mod key+3..it scrolls through the menus, then freezes on midi and says something like "midi loop error"..no sound comes out of the outs, but a sound like a layered midi time code comes out of the headphone port..

my setup is: m-audio keys->motu microlite->2000r midi in->2000r midi out->microlite..via protools 6.9 on xp quad 4gb ram..

thankyou all so much in advance...:)

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:34 am

Have you tried running the init with 2000r completely disconnected from the other units?

What happens if you bypass the Microlite and just run MIDI directly from the controller to the 2000r?

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:44 am

Does it have a lithium backup battery that needs to be replaced?

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

amyfletcher@ymail.com
audio school

Post by amyfletcher@ymail.com » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:21 am

hi guys..
ive tested the unit by itself and with protools..i havent tested it yet with keys straight to 2000r, only because of the following:
just auditioning the sounds with the "piano" key on the left, doesnt work..
the unit powers on and patch1a comes up (i think its stab saw)..
i press the "piano" button on the left..then i try to press the 1-16 keys and no sound comes out and the pad doesnt light up..
so cant see much use for the midi testing when the sounds arent even working on it...
and it still doesnt explain why the sound sets take so long to switch over..:(
i really hope the unit isn't dead/dying...

jeff:as far as i know, the ms2000r doesnt have a battery inside..i think its only from the m1 to karma series...but thanks for the idea...

:( this is really getting me down...can't find a solution :(

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:31 am

I would do the hardware reset with the unit completely unhooked from anything. It is possible if it was receiving time-code or other midi signals at the time that you did the reset that it got confused and didn't fully reset. Then try hooking it up to one controller and seeing what you get.

Otherwise it sounds like a trip to the repair shop.

The Scum
mixes from purgatory

Post by The Scum » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:51 am

I agree with the above. Reproduce the problem with just a controller and the module.

There could be some funny behavior if you had a MIDI loop via the computer that caused the same commands to be sent repeatedly.

Does it have a "local control off" mode?
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

amyfletcher@ymail.com
audio school

Post by amyfletcher@ymail.com » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:47 am

I decided to experiment and see about the "MIDI loop check error". I connected the MIDI in and out together. I ran the on+modkey+3..
The test started up..
1.Dsp Dram Check (passed I guess),
2.Midi Loop Check - Started with noise then passed I guess
3.Then for a very short time, a blank screen came up.
4.SW & LED test all led on. All the lLEDs lit up because I pressed the cursor button and the next menu was,
5.Sys Rom check
6.SW&LED test Audio In1 (I patched cd out (patchbay) into Audio In1 and sound came through left channel after turning Audio1 pot up-headphone out), then I pressed the cursor button and the next menu was
7.Same for Audio In2..Right channel though. I pressed the cursor button and the next menu was
8.Then the Osc1, Osc2 etc..

I think this testing is a program based "self check" diagnosis to see where a problem might be.

Now I am stuck at SW&LED test..21 arp ran (tempo pot). I turned the pot left to right fully, and the red light stays on.

Any ideas? At least this might be some kind of indicator.

amyfletcher@ymail.com
audio school

Post by amyfletcher@ymail.com » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:27 am

Also I recorded the sound during the MIDI loop test. Caution: It's a high pitched and loud..(https://rapidshare.com/files/3058819297 ... _Sound.mp3)

amyfletcher@ymail.com
audio school

Post by amyfletcher@ymail.com » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:10 am

I have tried going directly from M audio controller to ms2000r. MIDI doesn't register and of course, no sound comes out.
Man this is getting me down :(

trevord
gettin' sounds

Post by trevord » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:06 pm

Thats a toughie - those units are pretty rugged - its essentially a system on a chip with support chips

given what was already said here - the only thing i can add is - take a compressed air electronics cleaner can to the circuit board and especially the switches on the panel

My guess would be dirt is keeping a switch stuck in one position

clean the pots also.
I cant remember if the board has sockets but a quick clean and push on socketed parts will also help.

But I would bet the unit is pretty grungy :)

Is there a lot of smoking going on nearby?

amyfletcher@ymail.com
audio school

Post by amyfletcher@ymail.com » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:56 am

Hi Trevor,
No, no smoking even remotely near the unit. Maybe I should open it up and do a combo of motherboard cleaning foam + compressed air..

Thanks for the idea. I hope this does the trick...Otherwise I'm stuffed :(