Perforated Board other than Pegboard? PDX

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ApotheKerry
audio school

Perforated Board other than Pegboard? PDX

Post by ApotheKerry » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:57 pm

I'm preparing to put a whole bunch of trap and diffusor assemblies in the room I'm building. The designer had spec'd pegboard covered with fabric, but since I'm not a fan of looking at fabric, I asked if I needed it. The answer came back that it was definitely not necessary in these applications and I could just have exposed pegboard or another wood surface with 5-10% perforation.

So, my question is, does anyone have experience with a material that is a step or two above pegboard and is nicer to look at, but doesn't reach into the "premium" price category? (364 days a year, it will probably be just me in there)

Kerry

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:49 pm

Depending what's inside the traps, would a fabric coating help prevent fibers from getting into the air? Even if there's no acoustic difference, that might make it worthwhile.

ApotheKerry
audio school

Post by ApotheKerry » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:28 am

The fabric is going behind the board, between it and the fiberglass. That way, it can contain the fibers and I can get something cheap and possibly ugly and not concern myself with how it looks

vxboogie
pushin' record

Post by vxboogie » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:15 am

Weird thought, but I wonder if landscape fabric would work to keep the fibers in. Not sure if it is flame retardant.
Mark - Listen, turn knob, repeat as necessary...

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:44 am

You could do a little math and drill your own board. You could even do a mix of kerf cuts and holes of different sizes to make it perty. You could start with some 1/8" or 1/4" plywood.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:54 am

ApotheKerry
audio school

Post by ApotheKerry » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:55 am

rhythm ranch wrote:Google it: Acoustic Board Images
I did that before, and it seems like if I wanted to order 100 meters, I could get it from China via AliBaba. I'm only looking for about five 4x8 sheets.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:24 pm

Why use pegboard at all? Never been a fan of that approach, personally. Mostly because I don't really grok what benefit it gives you over a now-traditional broadband absorber approach.

ApotheKerry
audio school

Post by ApotheKerry » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:48 pm

JWL - The room is small. (20 x 9 with 7' ceilings) The designer/acoustician is spec'ing a wainscot that functions as a bunker trap and the whole back wall as a broadband/bass trap. The front needs to be a partially-porous surface, hence the pegboard. I'm on a budget so I'm looking for alternatives that won't force me to have a big chunk of my walls covered in fabric.

ApotheKerry
audio school

Post by ApotheKerry » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:35 pm

After talking it over with the designer, I'm going to stain 1/4" beadboard and just drill holes in it to achieve a better-looking option.