Dragonboard - Has anyone here used this product?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

radiationroom
steve albini likes it

Post by radiationroom » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:34 pm

I find it nothing short of amazing that every single place I have called (with the exception of the manager of ABC/Bradco Supply's York PA store) nobody knows what this stuff is much less knows how to get ahold of it. Yet apparently my local building codes requires it on both new and retrofit construction in any area designated as being a "fire zone".

I did get a call back from an engineer at USG and he is going to have a sales rep contact me later in the week. YAY!!!

goose134
pushin' record

Post by goose134 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:07 pm

Either a lot of folks are chucking the code requirements or they're building a different assembly. Did you try and explain what you need and how others are achieving compliant installations? Hopefully you'll get some answers so you can get started!
I make a living as an electrician, not recording in the basement.

radiationroom
steve albini likes it

Post by radiationroom » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:58 pm

Based on the quality of the construction around here I think many builders are chucking the code requirements or at least they did in the 1980s when many of the McMansion subdivisions that are now falling apart were built. Some of these houses are no more than vinyl siding and wrap over "Celotex" wafer insulation board, fiberglass batts, then drywall. They didn't even use OSB which would be a bare minimum much less structural grade plywood on some of these houses. While I wouldn't try to punch a hole through the wall with my fist, one certainly could punch a hole through an exterior wall of some of these houses with a 2x4.

Thankfully the manager at ABC/Bradco has an idea as to what I need and is going to track it down. Apparently the ABC warehouse for the Rocky Mountains and West Coast stocks it and it could be drop shipped from there.

I'll report some more next week. Someone else here will likely benefit from this information too.

Thanks again! - Peter