Mic placement robot and drumbrella

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vxboogie
pushin' record

Post by vxboogie » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:03 am

Anyone thought about repurposing a remote control car for some of this?
Mark - Listen, turn knob, repeat as necessary...

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:32 pm

T-rex wrote:
rhythm ranch wrote:What price range would you guys consider reasonable?

I know that ideally it would do everything and then clean the toilets, but what are the "must have" features? Assuming it would need to be able to move in and out, would you need side-to-side and up-and-down, or just one or the other? Would it need to pivot (to get an off axis response), and, if so, side-to-side and up-and-down or one or the other?

So, if it could do in-out, left-right (or up-down), and horizontally pivot 45 degrees to either side, all with wireless control for $1000, is that reasonable?
I think up down and left right would be much more important than horizontal pivoting. Generally seems like I most always have a mic either on axis or off axis based on what I am going for and I just need to find the sweet spot on the amp, which could be left, right, up or down - but I rarely change the angle of the mic at the same time. Could just be me.
OK, so if it did in-out, left-right and up-down - with wireless control - and you didn't have to constantly run back and forth, or try to get an intern to understand what you're after, would that be worth $1000? $800? $500? What would you guys (really) pay for something like this?

Is there a market for a well-engineered unit?

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:27 pm

I would feel good about spending $500 on this kind of thing. I don't know that $800-1000 would put it beyond what anyone would pay, but it would certainly be something on the list, for me, of things that would be great to have but not something I'd be spending the money on when I have other things I need to maintain and bigger pieces to get. $500 is still a "gettable" price to me, while $800-1000 is more something for me to plan/save longer for.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Post by Jon Nolan » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:57 pm

I'm in the $500 category as well. I feel like I could justify that amount. Once you get to the 1k mark, I feel like I'd start thinking "welllll, i could also get an ___." or, more likely, "while it's not sexy, i really NEED a (unsexy studio purchase here)."