Sourcing the correct sized enclosure

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

GussyLoveridge
gettin' sounds

Sourcing the correct sized enclosure

Post by GussyLoveridge » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:44 pm

So I've purchased a couple edcor transformers to make a reamping box from NY Dave's schematic. The transformers arrived and now I want to purchase an enclosure. I've looked at a few places and found the Hammond 125B enclosure.

My transformer is 1.5 inches tall.

The enclosure says it measure 4 5/8" x 2 1/2" x 1 1/2" but I don't know if this is inside the box (which should fit?) or the outside dimensions (which wouldn't fit).

Anybody building anything with those transformers (WSM 10K/150) that can suggest an enclosure?

The Scum
mixes from purgatory

Post by The Scum » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:13 pm

I'm having trouble Googling the part number you mention - Hammond 125B appears to be a tube output transformer:
http://www.hammondmfg.com/125a.htm

Hammond have good drawings for all of their enclosures on their website, making interior and exterior dimensions apparent. Take a peek at the PDF for the 1550C:
http://www.hammondmfg.com/1550.htm
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

Nate Dort
tinnitus

Post by Nate Dort » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:15 am

The dimensions you quoted are external dimensions. You won't fit that edcor in there. I just measured a 125B I have here.

When I built my NYD reamp boxes, I used metal single-gang electrical boxes from the hardware store, and a metal single-gang cover to close it up.

GussyLoveridge
gettin' sounds

Post by GussyLoveridge » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:27 am

Thanks for all your help folks -

I'm going to try and source a custom made enclosure from a supplier in my hometown.

Any idea of a simple to use CAD program?

The Scum
mixes from purgatory

Post by The Scum » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:45 pm

I'd have a dialog with the shop that will be doing the work. They may be more capable of working with some file types than others. I'd hate to tell you Solidworks, only to learn that they're a ProE shop.

One of the shops I use regularly is fine with a simple freehand sketch. Easily discernible dimensioning is more important than prefect 1:1 representation.

Google Sketchup can do dimensioned drawings, and the price is right.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."