A good complement to the NS10's?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

garysun
takin' a dinner break

A good complement to the NS10's?

Post by garysun » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:10 pm

Can someone recommend a good set of monitors for the bassier side of the mix? I usually switch between the NS10's and my bassier speakers, but the bassier ones are in need of replacement. Anything under 700 USD is good. Thanks in advance for your help!

timh
takin' a dinner break

Post by timh » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:49 pm

I just got some Equator D5's. They're my first pair of monitors, so I can't comment on the comparison to NS10's. BUT they got a good review in the magazine a couple issues ago, and I think they sound prettyyyy awesome. The best part- they're only $300! They're definitely worth checking out

http://www.equatoraudio.com/D5_Studio_M ... r_p/d5.htm

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:31 pm

ADAM A7 and even A5s go really deep and still stay tight and pretty resonance-free. You may find them around that price used, I imagine... if you can find anyone who would part with them.

Event ASP8s can definitely be found at that price used, and there are more of them out on the second-hand market perhaps. They go really deep, but are a little less on the resonance-free side maybe.

groover
gettin' sounds

Post by groover » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:39 am

Mr Colletti; by resonance free are you referring to port resonance and LF time-smearing? or cabinet resonance?

And would you consider the additional LF extension offered by the A8x worth the additional cost?

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:53 am

for cheap speakers that will have plenty of low end to compliment the ns10's, i'd look at a used pair of KRK V8's maybe... they sound good in our B room, and while they aren't that glamorous, they are loud, have deep and punchy bass, and are nicely aggressive.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

groover
gettin' sounds

Post by groover » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:27 am

Wow, I have never felt that I was getting "deep, punchy bass" from my V8s (series 1)! I wonder what I am doing wrong? 8~)

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:32 pm

Room treatment. Especially for groover, if you aren't getting the kind of bass you want.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:32 pm

hmm... dunno... i've always found them to be the best of the cheap speakers. thay aren't anything like our westlakes, but they sound good.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

garysun
takin' a dinner break

Post by garysun » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:20 pm

Thanks for your help. I'd like to try these out with mixes I know well. So far, I'm leaning towards the ADAM A7's on a hunch. I haven't liked any KRK's I've heard. I always thought there was something synthetic sounding about them.

Any more suggestions?

garysun
takin' a dinner break

Post by garysun » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:40 pm

I ended up trying out the Adam A7 monitors with a bunch of others in a similar price range at B & H and the Adams were way better all around. I found some B-stock style at Proaudiostar.
Now to set them up... Thanks for your help!
Gary

groover
gettin' sounds

Post by groover » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:53 pm

Did you get the A7 (older) or the A7x?

garysun
takin' a dinner break

Post by garysun » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:57 pm

I got the older A7's. From what I read there's not much of a difference. I hope that's true!

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:45 am

groover wrote:Mr Colletti; by resonance free are you referring to port resonance and LF time-smearing? or cabinet resonance?
All of the above, really. They're not perfect but for ported speakers in that price range that go deep, they're easily among the best
JohnDavisNYC wrote: for cheap speakers that will have plenty of low end to compliment the ns10's, i'd look at a used pair of KRK V8's maybe... they sound good in our B room, and while they aren't that glamorous, they are loud, have deep and punchy bass, and are nicely aggressive.

hmm... dunno... i've always found them to be the best of the cheap speakers. thay aren't anything like our westlakes, but they sound good.
Agreed: They are fun to listen to, and I think the KRKs are great for the price (which is about 60% less than the ADAMs.) But if you ever have a chance to compare the two, the low end is no contest. The KRK's have quite a bit of a "one-note-bass" response in comparison.

Last time I was in a Guitar Center helping a client listen through to some speakers before deciding they had both set up and ready to try. You could probably go down and hear a few of these things for yourself somewhere, groover.

Just remember to bring an iPod and/or CD with some good reference material on there! You definitely don't want to be at the liberty of the GC or Sam Ash staff when it comes to choosing things to play. Take what you know.