any Studio One users?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

JWL
deaf.

any Studio One users?

Post by JWL » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:56 pm

Anyone using Studio One?

I'm a longtime Sonar user, and stopped at 8.x. I never upgraded to X1 or X2.

I played around some with MixBus on Linux, and while that has huge potential, the plugins just aren't there yet I don't think.

So I got a version of Studio One Artist with my new USB Interface (1818VSL), checked it out and I liked it! So I upgraded to Studio One Professional, and so far I'm digging it.

I can't really put my finger on why.... it's just..... smart. Let me wrap my head around it for a while longer and perhaps I'll post more thoughts about it.

Anyone else tried it?

simon levene
audio school

Post by simon levene » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:04 pm

I've been using Studio One Artist for a couple of years and just decided to upgrade. I got Studio One 2.5 Producer this weekend so I could enter into the world of plug-ins...that's where my troubles began (but that's for a different thread)
I have been very happy with Studio One since day one, I find it a very intuitive program and I am certainly not the most adept in the digital realm.
Another Day Another Ray of Hope

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:13 am

Sorry to hear about your plugin troubles. I did have a bit of an issue getting things activated and running in upgrading from Artist to Professional, but Presonus' tech support helped me resolve them quickly. So far it hasn't had any trouble finding my other plugins.

I'm just finishing up my first mix using Studio One 2.5 Pro and it's really nice! The workflow is just fantastic, and I'm finding it very easy to get good sounds quickly. The included stock plugins sound great.

I'm at the "static mix" stage, where everything is sitting well, next is adding automation to give everything the final polish. Already it sounds nice, looking forward to hearing the finished mix.

simon levene
audio school

Post by simon levene » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:44 am

I tend to work very quickly from initial idea to finished mix very quickly. I like how responsive Studio One is.

I started using various cheap 4-track recorders then accidentally (?) got hooked on Acid Pro...using it as a multitrack recorder, which obviously it isn't really meant to be...then got sensible and switched to Studio One.
I have absolutely no training in recording or sound engineering and have few friends who record that I have been able to steal ideas and techniques from. So progress has been slow but I think the added advantage of the 3rd party plug-ins with the Producer version of S1 will help enormously.
Another Day Another Ray of Hope

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:19 am

Using it. Sounds great. Handles dense mixes so much better than PT 9 that its almost comical.

Bundled effects are very good.
Editing is good. The ability to stretch audio without artifacts is impressive and it's a quick switch back and forth between pro tools. Pretty smooth transition for me, where DP is far less intuitive, and logic is like wearing your shoes on the wrong feet.

That being said. S1 is a little behind the curve with grouping behaviors.....I'm guessing those production niceities will be coming in future updates.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:25 am

Interesting.... can you say more about grouping being a little behind the curve? So far that's been OK for me, though one thing that's strange is that if I group a set of tracks for editing, then go to adjust the volume of one of the tracks, they all then move in unison. The workaround is to either ungroup the tracks after editing, or hold down ALT while adjusting the fader and it will only adjust the one fader.

paparob
ass engineer

Post by paparob » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:52 pm

I love it ! Been using it since 1.0 so now with 2.5 it's fun to
make songs, record full bands and mastering built in.
Rarely do I group, if you highlight a bunch of tracks and you want
A volume change just grab the line and adjust . All highlighted
Tracks will follow the changes . The ability to use samples from
Live drum triggers using gate and impact is so fast compared to
the old days of Forat F16 samplers!
Enjoy the program and grow with Presonus they are good people.
Rob Seifert Gage
Producer/Engineer
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/rob-seifert-gage/30/6a9/316

read TapeOp Jan2009 essay by me....

" mixing hit records on Sunday, Chopping Firewood on Monday "

PhospheneProductions
audio school

Post by PhospheneProductions » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:03 pm

As a working engineer I personally prefer Pro Tools over any other DAW, though I'm quite fond of Ableton Live and Reason.
I've worked on Studio One (as well as Cubase and Logic), my complaint is the workflow, and keeping track (and displaying) of session flow.

I enjoy a DAW that functions similarly to an Analog Console, signal flow works vastly similarly. I've never enjoyed the feeling of just putting a plug-in on top of a track. I suppose I could attribute the feeling to being something like putting a photo filter over top a photograph (or a filter layer in photoshop). It feels somewhat UN-natural.
Not that other DAW's don't use this, I think it's more personal taste over anything else, a good engineer should be able to mix on any system. To each their own! :P

As a professional I'll stick to working with PT10 ^_^
Record | Produce | Mix | Master
http://www.phospheneproductions.com/

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:00 am

Grouping deficiencies, In S1 you can't place fx over a group of tracks. You have to add each fx instance individually.

You can't group fx behavior, at least as far as I can see.... For example, checking phase of your overheads vs yout snare. Etc.

These are small things, but getting. Little deeper with grouping behavior will make S1 much more end game friendly.

Personally, I love the easy creation of fx and bussing in S1.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:44 am

Interesting, I've never thought about applying a single effect to a group of tracks. I would just route those tracks to a bus and put the effect there, or put the effect on a bus and put sends from each track.

I agree that there are some counterintuitive things about grouping in general....

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:45 am

More specifically, you've got your drum group and you're probably going to want to treat each mic in that group with some of the same effects. Say eq, compression and maybe the mix plug for phase handling.

What I can easily do in pro tools, that I can't do in S1 is activate the group, hold down a modifier key, and install the same eq on each group channel.

It's persnickety, I know....but it's a feature that's so in line with S1's core... Streamlines quick drag and drop production.