Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:54 am

drumsound wrote:
Ryan Silva wrote:
drumsound wrote:
kdownes wrote:7 pages in and no one has mentioned Tired of Sex?
OOOO Good one!
Just drug that album out yesterday; Dave Friedman was 2nd Eng on that one. Wonder if WB made him do it after the madness he created on 'The Soft Bulletin"
Um...Pinkerton was out several years before the Soft Buletin.
:oops:

My bad, I think I picked them up around the same time.

Thanks for the correction

:wink:
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

kuene
takin' a dinner break

Post by kuene » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:38 am

Harmony Head wrote:Not many people talk about Roger Taylor from Queen's drum sounds... always lovely ambience and seemingly minimal miking, and the kick drum sounds up to and including 'The Game' album, are some of my favourites ever. Jellyfish obviously thought so as well, because they are of the same ilk.

Was he using a 24" or 26"?

HH
i had to second this. even going back to queen 1, and especially on something like news of the world - the drums, especially the kick, are so simple, dry but with a lot of life. i heard the multi-tracks of killer queen and its amazing how simple roger's whole kit sounds when isolated.

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:34 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:recently heard the sgt peppers multis that made the rounds awhile back...so i'm listening to the drums/piano/guitar track from 'with a little help from my friends'....when ringo comes in with the kick i had like 14 heart attacks.
I haven't heard of this... what is is and where can I find it??
Image Image

Derrick

We have a pool... and a pond. Pond's good for you though.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:54 pm

Ohh man just thought of another newer record with some great kick sounds. On the I Love You But I've Choosen Darkness full length the song "Fear is on our side" has an just beautiful kick that feels like a heart beat. It was produced by Paul Barker from ministy and I don't if he used triggers or not but it sounds smooth and natural at the same time. The whole record is like that....i hope they make another album soon-ish.

lysander
pushin' record

Post by lysander » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:37 am

Terry Chambers got some great kick sounds with XTC -- "Runaways" off English Settlement is amazing.

blimey48
audio school graduate

Post by blimey48 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:05 am

i don't post that often, but i love talking drum sounds...and tapeop is a better venue for the subject than in the car with my girlfriend :)

one of my favorite drums sounds as of late, is on the song "right hand on my heart" by The Whigs off of last year's album "Mission Control." great album, great new drummer. anyone heard it? the drums open the track with a thunderous bonham-esqe beat ala Foo Fighter's "My Hero" or Deftones' "Around the Fur"

the kick is huuuuuuuge! i find myself restarting the song 5 or 6 times just to listen to the drums by themselves (but the song rocks too)

other great kick sounds:

almost any song on mars volta's deloused

weezer's pinkerton, esp "tired of sex"

green day "are we the waiting" (and most anything else imo)

spoon's gimme fiction album

stephen brodsky's octave museum - "kid defender" (greeeeeeat album, really underrated songwriter)

stone temple pilots - "big empty"

Lost on side
gettin' sounds

Post by Lost on side » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:15 am

"Troubleshooter" from the Judas Priest album Point of Entry. The intro is similar ti "Living After Midnight" but recorded better. Would make a great loop.

I have taken to manually looping drum breaks (just pressing the "rewind button in time), and you can really separate them from the tracks, and hear what is going on. This drum beat is great (regardless of how you feel about Judas Priest). The whole record sounds great, is really catchy, and is more experimental that their other records.

Pull it up on Youtube, and give a listen...
If that cat there doesn't stop it man, we're not playing anymore!

tubemonkey35
pushin' record

Re: kick drumsounds that are awesome

Post by tubemonkey35 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:01 pm

djgout wrote:So kick sounds have kinda really been on my mind recently. I've been growing really tired of the whole *click'n'boom* action that's been going on. Being a drummer I've been playing a lot with different head and muffling combos to try to see what I can do to make my kick go *THUDD!* and then stop. just *THUDD!* like a merle haggard or old elton john album. I want it to feel like you just got the wind knocked out of you instead of like standing in a tunnel with a starter pistol.
I've completely switched my normal mindset for kickdrums, instead of being empty with a hole in the front head, I've got a huge thick towel folded up and inside with a thin resonant head and no hole. It's really awesome sounding when you just slam your foot down. Maybe I'm just excited because it's a different sound than I'm used to playing, but it's currently my favorite.
Getting it to record properly has been alot of fun too. I was able to borrow a D12 that i had to give back, but it definitly gave that old *THUDD!* that I've been trying to find.

What are some other kick sounds that ya'll think are awesome?

Another one that I love is on Isis' Oceanic...very cool.

-justin
Justin, there are things you can use/do to achieve a similar. You can take the much maligned D112 (or variant) in combination with a Shotgun mic (for attack) and that will get you in the ballpark too.

tubemonkey35
pushin' record

Re: kick drumsounds that are awesome

Post by tubemonkey35 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:08 pm

djgout wrote:So kick sounds have kinda really been on my mind recently. I've been growing really tired of the whole *click'n'boom* action that's been going on. Being a drummer I've been playing a lot with different head and muffling combos to try to see what I can do to make my kick go *THUDD!* and then stop. just *THUDD!* like a merle haggard or old elton john album. I want it to feel like you just got the wind knocked out of you instead of like standing in a tunnel with a starter pistol.
I've completely switched my normal mindset for kickdrums, instead of being empty with a hole in the front head, I've got a huge thick towel folded up and inside with a thin resonant head and no hole. It's really awesome sounding when you just slam your foot down. Maybe I'm just excited because it's a different sound than I'm used to playing, but it's currently my favorite.
Getting it to record properly has been alot of fun too. I was able to borrow a D12 that i had to give back, but it definitly gave that old *THUDD!* that I've been trying to find.

What are some other kick sounds that ya'll think are awesome?

Another one that I love is on Isis' Oceanic...very cool.

-justin
Justin, there are things you can use/do to achieve a similar. You can take the much maligned D112 (or variant) in combination with a Shotgun mic (for attack) and that will get you in the ballpark too.