Glyn Johns OTHER cool ass technique

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:38 pm

Gregg Juke wrote: Ah, "martoonies" were made famous by that guy from the Cat Pack, Dern Maertin, right???

GJ
Hmmm, for me, it was my dad. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:26 pm

I've been doing essentially that all the time in our new space, though sometimes additional amps end up on the other side of the room, or in one of the isos. It's amazing how well gobos can work. We actually set our ATC SCM50's up as a PA system mounted to the ceiling on either side of the drum kit, and very little of that even seems to bleed in to the kit mics, so I've been trying to avoid headphones entirely and the bands are loving it. If we do use headphones, people are only adding what they need, and it's keeping the phones from becoming their usual blown out mess.

I've only had luck with it in a well designed room though. If the room is too small or too live sounding you just end up with a wash in every mic. Room treatment, who knew? :)

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:51 pm

Marc Alan Goodman wrote:I've been doing essentially that all the time in our new space, though sometimes additional amps end up on the other side of the room, or in one of the isos. It's amazing how well gobos can work. We actually set our ATC SCM50's up as a PA system mounted to the ceiling on either side of the drum kit, and very little of that even seems to bleed in to the kit mics, so I've been trying to avoid headphones entirely and the bands are loving it. If we do use headphones, people are only adding what they need, and it's keeping the phones from becoming their usual blown out mess.

I've only had luck with it in a well designed room though. If the room is too small or too live sounding you just end up with a wash in every mic. Room treatment, who knew? :)
The room at Webster University is large, but pretty dead.

Sculli
takin' a dinner break

Post by Sculli » Sat May 18, 2013 7:03 am

Still no pics? Would love to see what you did as i love all things Glyn Johns!

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sat May 18, 2013 8:00 am

I just used this set-up for a mobile session in a hockey rink banquet room. It works out really well. It's pretty shocking how little bleed there is between instruments. There's a little guitar and bass in the overheads but nothing that sounds bad and isn't manageable.
There were a ton of office dividers in the space so we used one between each source and built a booth of sorts around the singer (mostly to catch spill from the back wall coming back into the mic).

My set up was from left to right was -
guitar amp 1 / bass amp / drums / guitar amp 2

The guitar amps are stereo from one guitar. The singer was facing the band and we were using a powered speaker on the far right as a monitor.

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Wed May 22, 2013 9:21 pm

Now THIS sounds like a SERIOUSLY COOL TECHNIQUE.

I can't wait to try it out.
Of course, I'm not sure it'll work with my drum "room" (a.k.a. basement, complete with shop tools in the far back).

Also, Mr. Vvv, I didn't see a North arrow on your little map there.

:)
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu May 23, 2013 4:51 pm

Around that time, I was tryna keep up and down straight.

OK, not "straight", but separate. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:12 am

Well, you've got your scale, attribution, and source taken care of, so from a cartographer's point of view you're batting .800. :D
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com