Auto Talent VST- help wanted

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Dubmaniac
gettin' sounds

Auto Talent VST- help wanted

Post by Dubmaniac » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:46 am

I recently downloaded Oli Larkin's Auto Talent VST plugin for Windows. Now that I've got it, I sure wish I could make it work for my needs. I don't want to make anybody sound like T-Pain and Cher's love child. I just want to gently guide some vocals back on pitch. I admit I've never used a pitch corrector before, so some of it not working right is my own fault. But it came with no tutorial at all. I've got it installed correctly, but all I can do is change the pitch of the vocals to one note, which sounds awful. I guess this is where you guys and gals come in. How do you control it? What am I doing wrong?
"Stare with your ears"- Ken Nordine

The Scum
mixes from purgatory

Post by The Scum » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:13 pm

I've got zero experience with Auto Talent.

If you want a free, and reasonably easy to control pitch corrector for VST, check out the gSnap plug from gvst:

http://www.gvst.co.uk/downloads.htm

You select the "allowable" notes using a little keyboard down the side, or picking a scale.

While you're there, download them all - very underrated plugins.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

Dubmaniac
gettin' sounds

Post by Dubmaniac » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:57 am

Wow. I haven't downloaded it yet, but I already like it better, because it COMES WITH INSTRUCTIONS! What a concept! I can't believe Autotalent doesn't! Oli Larkin is well known for his plugins, which makes it even more surprising that he dropped the ball on this one. Maybe he assumed that everyone on Earth knows how to use Autotune, and the same concepts carry over to Auto Talent. I don't know. Anyway, thanks for the link. I'll be downloading it soon and trying it out. I'm excited to work with it! Once again, TOMB saves the day!
"Stare with your ears"- Ken Nordine

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:35 pm

Does anyone know of a pitch correct vst or direct x that allows setting the correct pitches by cents? Say for example I wanted my scale to be A+20, C-35, D+48, F-25, G+40? Does anything like that exist? Everything I've seen only uses the chromatic scale and subsections of it.

The Scum
mixes from purgatory

Post by The Scum » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:28 pm

Well, by definition, if they did that, then they'd be an auto-out-of-tuner.

At least, by the narrow, Western, 12-tone definiton.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:30 pm

ubertar wrote:Does anyone know of a pitch correct vst or direct x that allows setting the correct pitches by cents? Say for example I wanted my scale to be A+20, C-35, D+48, F-25, G+40? Does anything like that exist? Everything I've seen only uses the chromatic scale and subsections of it.
yes. melodyne is the king on this.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:24 pm

casey campbell wrote:
ubertar wrote:Does anyone know of a pitch correct vst or direct x that allows setting the correct pitches by cents? Say for example I wanted my scale to be A+20, C-35, D+48, F-25, G+40? Does anything like that exist? Everything I've seen only uses the chromatic scale and subsections of it.
yes. melodyne is the king on this.
Cool, thanks.