The SM7 Is Just So-ooo Damn Badass....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

The SM7 Is Just So-ooo Damn Badass....

Post by tonewoods » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:03 pm

"You see, the whole thing about recording is the attempt at verisimilitude--not truth, but the appearance of truth."
Jerry Wexler

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:18 am

That looks well-used!

I have a "b" and like it lots.

And lemme mention how cool is the Peavy 520i, what I sometimes like better (it's not as "heavy' a sound).
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:09 am

vvv wrote:That looks well-used!
I think it's just about the only mic that gets used on every session...
Great on high-hats, but especially good on so-ooo many vocalists...
vvv wrote:
This one is a straight SM7...
"Assembled by Shure in Mexico"...
vvv wrote:
And lemme mention how cool is the Peavy 520i, what I sometimes like better (it's not as "heavy' a sound).
Yeah, the Peavey box in the pic is a VMP 2 which I like a ton...
Nice pres...
"You see, the whole thing about recording is the attempt at verisimilitude--not truth, but the appearance of truth."
Jerry Wexler

Wagz
takin' a dinner break

Post by Wagz » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:55 pm

The SM7 is one of the best sub $1000 ever. I absolutely live mine.
Never thought to try it on hats. I should give that a go. Lately its been my go to on vocals if I'm recording other things in the room.

We had a VMP-2 in the studio I used to work at. Never got a chance to play with it though. Have heard some wonderful things about it.
Snoring Hound Studio
Kalisepll, MT

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:17 am

I'd also try the Beyer M700 if you can find one. It's has a similar vibe.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:04 pm

also great on guitar and bass cabs and can be cool on acoustic guitars and kick drums.
the new rules : there are no rules

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:51 pm

vvv wrote:
So-ooo, do we notice a lot of difference between the SM7 and SM7b?

I thought mine was more recent (despite it's condition), but I guess the original mics were also labeled "Assembled by Shure in Mexico"...?

I love that metal screen--it just looks too cool...
Jerry Wexler

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:54 pm

I've no idear, never used the non-"b".

That said, I found this:

Q: I think the Shure SM7B is a great dynamic microphone for vocals and instruments, but I always wondered, what is the difference between the original and the current model?

A: The Shure SM7 dynamic mic was introduced in 1973; according to Shure, seven years of field research went into designing what was intended to be the finest unidirectional dynamic microphone ever. The SM7 uses the same Unidyne III acoustical principle as the venerable SM57 and SM58, but has a thinner and more flexible diaphragm. Plus, the SM7 has three times as many turns of wire on its voice coil compared to the SM57/SM58. This reduces the resonant frequency of the mic and, combined with the larger housing, provides rich low-end response. In fact, the filter switch on the SM7 technically works in reverse of how you might expect; the ?boost? position is actually the unfiltered low-end response, while ?flat? inserts a filter to reduce the low-end response.

As for differences among the SM7, SM7A, and SM7B, the SM7A featured a humbucking coil designed to reduce noise picked up from computer monitors and an improved mic mount. The SM7B has a larger foam windscreen, which is included with the mic.
Sweetwater

Some history here:
SM57 on Steroids: The Shure SM7(B) Story
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:50 pm

Not sure what you mean about the filters. There is a bass roll off (which does reduce the low end) and there is a mid bump (which boosts midrange).
the new rules : there are no rules

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:10 am

I used think it was the greatest dynamic mic then I got a Telefunken USA M-80 and it does everything the SM-7 does but does it a whole lot better. I got a 2nd one.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:31 am

joninc wrote:Not sure what you mean about the filters. There is a bass roll off (which does reduce the low end) and there is a mid bump (which boosts midrange).
Not me, sir - that's what's at that Sweetwater link. They mebbe are writing about the SM7, not the SM7a or SM7b?

r.nyc: I have looked at those because I so lic, well mic's. You steered me right on the M500, so ... now I gotta find some $ :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:45 am

vvv wrote:You steered me right on the M500...
My absolute desert island mic...gawd, I love those things...

Thanks for all the info, folks.
I never really delved into the SM7 history...

EDIT: Wow, that article is fabulous...anyone here running an SM5? Love to hear about it if "yes"...

And:

You can hardly visit a mic review site without reading pages of animated and sometimes heated commentary on the SM7B. There?s even a Shure SM7 joke thread on gearslutz.com with posts like these:

?You know that voice in your head that tells you right from wrong? Well, it was recorded with an SM7B.?

?My SM7B automatically doubled and then quadrupled my vocal takes, translating them into Spanish and Mandarin versions, enabling me to deliver international releases.?

?They say with careful positioning, you can use an SM7B to record the future.?

:)
Jerry Wexler

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Thu May 07, 2015 12:24 am

roscoenyc wrote:I used think it was the greatest dynamic mic then I got a Telefunken USA M-80 and it does everything the SM-7 does but does it a whole lot better. I got a 2nd one.
Interesting.. Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah the SM-7 has been my go to for vocals since I got it. At times it can be a bit dark for some vox but nothing a little 3db (give or take) of 10Khz high shelf won't cure.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Sat May 23, 2015 9:14 pm

We have a SM5 at the studio. It sounds pretty good but not really better than a SM7 and seems to require even more gain. And it's not at all practical...damn thing is enormous
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Sun May 24, 2015 8:52 am

I've never used an SM7, b or otherwise. How do they compare to an RE-20? I have two of those, and wouldn't mind trading one for an SM7, if someone is in the opposite position.