Need some ideas on a problem with a Tascam 122Mk II

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

bloodspoint
alignin' 24-trk

Need some ideas on a problem with a Tascam 122Mk II

Post by bloodspoint » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:37 pm

I have a 122 Mk. II. I inherited it and a 112 from my Dad's voiceover studio. Over the last couple of years, each of them has developed some problem or another that has made it unusable, but we'll start with the 122, because it's by far the fancier machine, and I used a lot of its features.
I used it usually for transfers from cassette to digital media, so I used it usually every few weeks. The last time I fired it up to use it, as soon as I put in a tape and closed the door, this high speed, high pitch whine started from inside the unit. Not just the usual "motor running" noise. Much louder. When I hit play, the tape appeared to be going, like, 4x speed, way too fast. And no output. The heads don't engage. The speed correction doesn't make any difference at all. On/off, full up/full down, no difference. Obviously the whine was just the first sign that something had failed somewhere. I opened the machine up, and this is a video clip of the sound that the unit makes when a tape is inserted (i.e., that little switch at the top of the tape compartment gets pushed:

https://youtu.be/Uz99brA9qLI

The noise is coming from that motor at the bottom with the big flywheel.

So, my question is, what is likely to have failed there? I don't see any place that this particular motor would have driven a belt or anything. The reel motor up top has a belt, and it ffwds and rwds just fine. It's the play transport that's busted. Looking for anywhere to start here.

The other option, are the transport units the same on the 122 and 112, or do they use different units? I ask that because I'm pretty sure the 112 has a broken belt, and I can fix that pretty easily, but if I could "fix" the 122 by swapping in the transport from the 112 (after putting a new belt on it), that would be at least a temporary solution.

Thanks in advance!

Sean
Last edited by bloodspoint on Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
Bloodspoint Studio
http://www.bloodspoint.com/
"This is our concern, Dude..."

bloodspoint
alignin' 24-trk

Re: Need some ideas on a problem with a Tascam 122Mk II

Post by bloodspoint » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:16 am

So, to reply to my own thread, I opened the 112 up yesterday, and learned a couple of things.
First thing, and most obvious, was that no, the transports are not the same between the 122 and 112. Not even similar.

Second thing was the capstan belt was broken and actually, more like "goo" than rubber, and that explains why the 112 would not play, but would ffwd and rwd.

Third thing, which is more a supposition based upon where the belt went in the 112, there must be a belt I'm missing on the 122, which went around the big flywheel. I'm not 100% sure where the other pulley is, because it's not in the same place as in the 112, but there must be one somewhere. The belt is completely missing on that machine. Not even a broken one. I found and ordered a replacement for it. Once it gets here, I'll try to figure out where it goes.
--
Bloodspoint Studio

bloodspoint
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bloodspoint » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:56 pm

BTW, I did find the service manuals for both machines. Annoyingly enough, neither shows where the belts are supposed to go. I did find the remains of the flat belt in the 112, and I ordered new ones for both machines. I hope when the one for the 122 arrives, it will become apparent where it should go.
--
Bloodspoint Studio

bloodspoint
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bloodspoint » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:17 pm

Okay, so to update my own thread:

I have taken the 112 apart, and found where there was a belt which is missing, and I ordered a new one for that. I also could plainly see that the transports are nowhere close in design. It's immediately apparent where the belt goes in the 112, but not the 122 Mk. II.

The belt for the 122 Mk. II got here, but I don't see where it's supposed to go. Nothing. I have the service manual, but it doesn't show it, unhelpfully enough. You'd think that would be basic information.

Can anyone with one of these decks describe where the other end of the belt goes, assuming that one end goes around the capstan flywheel, but please correct me on that too, if not?
Pics would be great, but any idea would be appreciated. I'm assuming I'll have to dissassemble something more in the transport to get the belt in, but I'l like to have some idea of what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance!

Sean
--
Bloodspoint Studio

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:24 pm

Where did you find the belt? I have a 122 that's developed as serious wobble sound. It gets worse as the tape gets closer to the end. I'm guessing the belts are worn or stretched.

sizzlemeister
audio school

Post by sizzlemeister » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:24 pm

Yes, same question.

Did you get the belt through Tascam/Teac?
I have a band. We call ourselves SPACELORD. Bandcamp | Facebook

bloodspoint
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bloodspoint » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:39 pm

Sorry for the delay. I didn't get a notification.

Got the 122 belt off of eBay. I haven't found any parts for any of my tape machines from Tascam. They seem to have stopped carrying anything older than about 10 years.

That said, it's for a 122 Mk. I. I have a II, which is a direct drive. so that didn't help.
--
Bloodspoint Studio