Mastering recommendations?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Phobos
alignin' 24-trk

Mastering recommendations?

Post by Phobos » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:33 am

Not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask, but I need to find a good mastering engineer for a rock/Americana record. Already had it mastered but I'm realizing (a bit too late) that I'm not happy with the outcome. It took me a while to figure this out, which is kind of embarrassing in front of the artist, but I think my ears were just burned after the project and I really WANTED to like the masters. So I told the mastering guy "thanks, great job." I mean, they aren't terrible. But as I started really listening, it feels like the vocals and kick got a little lost, and everything sounds a little too squashed. Oddly enough, they aren't super loud, either. And I didn't give him stems.

Budget is not huge, but it exists, and I realize you get what you pay for. Any thoughts/recommendations are appreciated. The artist has already uploaded the existing masters to streaming services (doh!) but I'd really like to get the album remastered before doing CDs.

standup
re-cappin' neve

Re: Mastering recommendations?

Post by standup » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:36 am

I’ve done a couple of EP’s with Scott Craggs, who posts here as MoreSpaceEcho, and was pleased with the results.

http://www.oldcolonymastering.com/

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:15 pm

Phobos wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:33 am
Not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask, but I need to find a good mastering engineer for a rock/Americana record. Already had it mastered but I'm realizing (a bit too late) that I'm not happy with the outcome. It took me a while to figure this out, which is kind of embarrassing in front of the artist, but I think my ears were just burned after the project and I really WANTED to like the masters. So I told the mastering guy "thanks, great job." I mean, they aren't terrible. But as I started really listening, it feels like the vocals and kick got a little lost, and everything sounds a little too squashed. Oddly enough, they aren't super loud, either. And I didn't give him stems.

Budget is not huge, but it exists, and I realize you get what you pay for. Any thoughts/recommendations are appreciated. The artist has already uploaded the existing masters to streaming services (doh!) but I'd really like to get the album remastered before doing CDs.
Why not explain what you're not happy with to the engineer and have him take another pass? 90% of the time, I'm having the mastering engineers do at least 2 passes before I'm happy. Sometimes upwards of 5. They're not mind readers and they're always gracious with their time and attention in my experience.

Unless this person just plain sucks or doesn't get what you're going for, then I recommend Carl Saff at Saff Mastering, or Brad Boatright at Audiosiege. Dudes are great, rates are completely reasonable and they give a shit about making sure they take you over the finish line in a way that makes you proud of the end result.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:35 pm

i agree the first step should be a conversation with the ME about what you'd like to hear tweaked. Having a reference or 2 can be helpful to demonstrate the overall tone you're hoping for (keeping in mind that they obviously can't make it into something that it isn't).

Doing 1 round of revisions is often part of the deal (at no extra cost) and some guys will do a few ...

If that actually is not possible for some reason, then I'd recommend checking out Phillip Shaw Bova (http://www.philipshawbova.com/) or Harris Newman @ https://www.greymarketmastering.com/ - they both do great work and never disappoint and offer quite reasonable rates.
the new rules : there are no rules

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:13 pm

joninc wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:35 pm
I'd recommend checking out Phillip Shaw Bova (http://www.philipshawbova.com/) or Harris Newman @ https://www.greymarketmastering.com/ - they both do great work and never disappoint and offer quite reasonable rates.
I'd also suggest talking to the original ME and will second Jon's recommendations above. Harris Newman did my last solo thing a few years ago and did a great job. We were very picky and he was a-ok with it. I haven't sent stuff to Phillip Bova but he's done work for friends and it's all been good (with happy customers). I'd also suggest Andy Magoffin at the House Of Miracle. Ive sent him tons of work and it's always come back sounding great. He's also very open to suggestions and revisions if needed.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:43 am

standup wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:36 am
I’ve done a couple of EP’s with Scott Craggs, who posts here as MoreSpaceEcho, and was pleased with the results.

http://www.oldcolonymastering.com/
Scott's done a lot of my projects and they always sound great. Someone also mentioned Carl Saff, and he is top notch as well.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:09 pm

Thanks for the kind words guys, and to the OP I'd be happy to help, but I agree you should talk to the original ME first. Just say what you said here, it should be no problem for them to do a revision.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:35 pm

I'd also recommend Scott Craggs.... I like his work. And is reasonable.

A few things:

1. Does the artist agree with you that the current Masters are, as you say, not good? Remember, this is THEIR baby, not yours. Be objective, were THEY unhappy with the ME's job the FIRST time they heard it, and without any of your feedback? Or was it only you?

2. Are you prepared to have the ME you already used not end up giving you what you hear in your head? This can happen. Try to use him first anyways, you never know.

3. Can you objectively write down a list of what you DISLIKED about the final mixes, pre mastering? Is any of that actually Mastering Engineer - fixable? Or are the issues really fixable in another session of mixing? Like, overall louder lead vocal?

I have seen a shift for the past 10 or so years, of people over relying on the Mastering Engineer. As the joke goes: "I fucked up the guitar part... no worries, we can Pro Tools it!"... and then you know how that ends up... no one actually fixes the original issue, and then the ME is left to try to fix stuff.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:59 am

Similar to what the others have said....

You need to be able to specifically describe what you are trying to get out the mastering, either to go back to the original ME or to a new one.

I've seen some sort of 'generational' type problems with ME's for people in the last few years regarding delivered mixes.

If I can generalize, I do see folks sending mixes that had a whole lot more processing on the 2 mix bus than the way I learned which was to leave something for the mastering engineer to work with. Troubles can arise when somebody who puts tons of processing on the bus sends their mixes to an old school mastering guy and by the same token when somebody sends mixes maybe with just a little compression to a guy who's used to dealing with what I'll describe as 'modern mixes' where they tried to really finish it before they sent it to the ME.

It's important to find an ME that is going to be happy to work with the type of mixes you make.

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:49 pm

Justin at Mystery Room does great work and has a handy project calculator for your budget: https://www.mysteryroommastering.com/calculator/

Phobos
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Phobos » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:54 am

Hey thanks everybody for weighing in on this. There's a lot to digest in these replies, and I learned a lot. I did end up going back to the original ME and he cheerfully and quickly provided a revision, which is much more to my (and the artist's) liking. Thanks for steering me in this direction, because not only does the music sound "right," (now), but I ended up not having to spend more money, offend anyone, or cause project delays. Tape Op board is the best!

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:20 am

Excellent! Everyone likes a happy ending.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:57 pm

Now why do I wanna do a $35 joke?

:high:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.