Happy Black Friday! Did you get anything?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

darjama
tinnitus

Re: Happy Black Friday! Did you get anything?

Post by darjama » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:15 am

gig bags. woo!

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:36 pm

plugins! ecoplate .. a few fuse ones as well
the new rules : there are no rules

Colorblind
takin' a dinner break

Post by Colorblind » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:01 am

Sonnox Inflator for a cool $40 USD.

KuruPrionz
alignin' 24-trk

Post by KuruPrionz » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:15 am

Yesterday I bought Eventide Precision Time Align plugin, $29.99 marked down from 99.99.
Makes aligning the phase in recorded tracks simple, fast and accurate. Haven't used it yet but a looks like a great "janitorial" plugin.

I also dropped by the local Value Village thrift store and bought a complete and fully functional Roland HD-1 V-Drums Lite drum kit for $152 out the door.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:50 am

I was going to start a new thread but decided to dig up the past...

I'm kinda proud of myself, in that this year I did not buy a single plugin. And even though UA is getting closer and closer to Waves and PA pricing, I still convinced myself I didn't really need any more (and rightly so, even if that new Sound City plugin does look pretty cool...). But I did get 2 plugins for free -- haven't even tried them yet. Something from Waves (Silk Vocals - I had to check - couldn't even remember lol) and Slate Digital's new Heatwave. I don't think I ever installed the free Waves plugin from last year either. Even though they back-tracked, I'm still kinda pissed for the BS they pulled awhile back on the whole subscription thing.

I also resisted buying a bunch more Hairball 500 pres, even though I wanted to...

but I did spend some $$ on hardware, and not really even BF or CM related (although I did get a 15% cyber Monday deal on a 3pk of ATM230's that I want to try). I've been changing up my mic selection a bit... selling off some more expensive mics I didn't really need (like a pair of AKG C-451B's that I was only using on hihat and ride) or mics I did not use much, and using that to get a couple nicer things (like the Chandler TG Type L and I have a Pearlman TM-1 on the way).

So what did you get? or not get?
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:16 pm

I did not, because I don't do named sales days - I just buy shite when I have the need and dosh.

In keeping with that, my daughter gave me a Xmas present last night - a bottle of Angel's Envy.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:08 pm

Moving over to a much newer protools system has allowed more plugs to be available. BlackFriday makes me sick, and always has been a "buy nothing day" for me, but in the plug in world, I ignored my ethics this year, it actually was a good thing!. I grabbed some really cool UA plugs last month (October) via Plug In Boutiques deal they had with the crossgrade from the free UA La2a deal that was being offered.

For $200 I got
1176LN Plug-In for UAD-2
UA 1176 Limiter Collection Plug-In for UAD-2
Teletronix LA-2A Leveler Collection Plug-In for UAD-2
LA2A Plug-In for UAD-2
API 2500 Stereo Bus Compressor Plug-In for UAD-2
API Vision Plus Channel Strip Plug-In for UAD-2
Brigade Chorus Plug-In for UAD-2
Century Tube Channel Strip Plug-In for UAD-2
Galaxy Tape Echo Plug-In for UAD-2
Hitsville EQ Collection for UAD-2
Hitsville Reverb Chambers Plug-In for UAD-2
Lexicon 224 Plug-In for UAD-2
Oxide Tape Plug-In for UAD-2
Pultec-Pro Plug-In for UAD-2
Pultec EQ Collection Plug-In for UAD-2
Pure Plate Reverb Plug-In For UAD-2
Studer A800 Multichannel Tape Recorder Plug-In for UAD-2
Studio D Chorus Plug-In for UAD-2

Then for actual Black Friday deals, I bought the whole SoundToys package for $250. I only had a couple of their plugs (older versions) that they kept alive for me to run on my old system, so it was nice to throw them some cash and have ALL OF THEM. I seriously fucking love those plugs.
I then grabbed three plugs for $30 each from PlugIn Alliance; SPL De-Esser because I can't get the stock one to work well for me, SPL DrumXchange (the Massey DRT works fine, but this seemed even cooler), and the Lindell 254E Neve Compressor.

Luckily, all my SONNEX and Massey plugs transferred over with no problem.

I don't think I'll be hurting for any more plugs for the time being. And, if I don't pay my yearly "fee" on my perpetual license, and Avid "takes away" the plug in bundle for a penalty, I'll still be covered.
Last edited by trodden on Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:09 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:28 am

I also picked up a couple more UAD plugins (since this is one of the best times of the year to do so). I got the API Vision channel strip and the Culture Vulture (I fall for hardware emulations of hardware I would never buy in real life...).
Do you enjoy the API Vision Channel Strip? I found myself using the waves API EQ's a lot, and didn't want to give WAVES money, so decided to go the UA route instead.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:31 am

trodden wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:09 pm
digitaldrummer wrote:

I also picked up a couple more UAD plugins (since this is one of the best times of the year to do so). I got the API Vision channel strip and the Culture Vulture (I fall for hardware emulations of hardware I would never buy in real life...).
Do you enjoy the API Vision Channel Strip? I found myself using the waves API EQ's a lot, and didn't want to give WAVES money, so decided to go the UA route instead.
I use it sometimes, and since then UA gave me the native version now too. But I still tend to default to my old Waves E or G-channel strips first (if I'm using a channel strip). but if I can't get something to sound right, then I go looking and sometimes grab the API. And sometimes it is the right one. I probably need to use it more to get a better feel for it, but I have a lot of (ok, too many) channel strip plugins...
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:57 am

I resisted a few temptations (such as Fender Acoustasonic Tele for $499?), did not buy anything directly music related.

I had a Target gift card that got converted into a set of AirTags for $80.

And some Best Buy rewards that got turned into a handful of 4k movies (I still prefer physical media while I can).

Debating on updating my Ableton license to 11 / 12. :alien:

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:19 am

trodden wrote:
digitaldrummer wrote:

I like the Vision strip a lot. I had the legacy and upgraded to the new version to have the 560 as an option. I think the EQs both sound great, and so does the compressor. I've had some luck with the gate, but I'm not a big gate person.

I traded for an entire UAD account last year, so there were already a ton of things including the Legacy API strip. I did an entire mix with it, as if I was using a console. I put it as the first plugin on all the tracks, and any Auxes I set up. I was a pretty fun way to work. I've also done that with the SSL strip AND G bus comp as an experiment. I worked fine, but I wasn't as into it...

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:26 am

I went a little nuts, but also not that bad. ha.

Have the DIY bug real bad so I got a Hairball Blue Stripe 1176 kit & 2 Hairball Bronze kits.

Oxford Inflator, Kazrog True Iron and True Dynamics plugins.

Also bought a rug for my temporary mix room in my apartment (80% off!). The studio I was working out of closed, so I've been scrambling lately to set up a comfortable space to hold me over til I make a move.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:28 am

trodden wrote:
digitaldrummer wrote:

It's good, but I often only use the EQ so when that's the case I just go to the stand-alone UAD plugs. The compressor is definitely cool for some stuff.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:28 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:28 am
trodden wrote:
digitaldrummer wrote:

It's good, but I often only use the EQ so when that's the case I just go to the stand-alone UAD plugs. The compressor is definitely cool for some stuff.
Does the stand alone EQ's sound different than the channel strips if your only using the EQ in the strip?

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:29 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:26 am
I went a little nuts, but also not that bad. ha.

Have the DIY bug real bad so I got a Hairball Blue Stripe 1176 kit & 2 Hairball Bronze kits.

Oxford Inflator, Kazrog True Iron and True Dynamics plugins.

Also bought a rug for my temporary mix room in my apartment (80% off!). The studio I was working out of closed, so I've been scrambling lately to set up a comfortable space to hold me over til I make a move.
I love the INFLATOR. It's a must have for me.