A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: BEATLES GET BACK DISCUSSION

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:49 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:55 am
losthighway wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:23 pm
Once they move to Apple, what are the lollipop looking mics they have for vocals?
this site https://www.guitarandbeyond.com/beatles-microphones/ says they are the Neumann KM56 with a KM54 windscreen. if so, maybe they were in Omni and that's why they were pointing up (didn't matter)
KM56. It's a side address SDC so it's not actually pointing at the ceiling.

https://en-de.neumann.com/km-56

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:40 pm

been enjoying this and finding a lot of it super boring as well - they are just a bunch of goof balls most of the time... but it is cool to see how the songs evolve through the rehearsals...

engineer sure likes the Glyn John's Overhead set up eh? :)
the new rules : there are no rules

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:49 pm

Wait a minute, wait a minute.....

Is the AKG C28 the working man's C12 I never realized? The CMV 563 to another's U47?

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:31 pm

I love Ringo and George even more.
John is still a cunt, but obviously talented.
Paul is Paul, and an amazing song writer.

Billy Preston saved their asses and got John to act more professional.

"Glynis" Johns, Mel, and Kevin were the folks and the roles I could really appreciate along with Billy Preston.

I don't want to cancel my Disney Plus sub quite yet (i only planned to pay for one month to watch this) because I want to waste another seven hours of my life watching this again. Fucking loved it.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:48 am

joninc wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:40 pm
Well, sure... :lol:
but even then I was surprised to see the mic on the floor tom side - which is pointing down at the floor tom (about 8-10 in above it). I'd always seen it pointing horizontally across the floor tome and toward the snare/hihat. Maybe it was because of the tea towels on the floor tom? I suppose that would have picked up a little more thump than aiming across it. learning new things every day...
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:49 am

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:49 am
KM56. It's a side address SDC so it's not actually pointing at the ceiling.
ah, good point!
Mike

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:56 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:48 am
joninc wrote:
but even then I was surprised to see the mic on the floor tom side - which is pointing down at the floor tom (about 8-10 in above it). I'd always seen it pointing horizontally across the floor tome and toward the snare/hihat. Maybe it was because of the tea towels on the floor tom? I suppose that would have picked up a little more thump than aiming across it. learning new things every day...
That's how I always do it (probably a little higher), but my name isn't Glyn. The across thing never seemed as good to me. In fact I think the church of GJ technique can be an example of a generally good idea with a few arbitrary details faithfully reproduced more because of the innovator's discography than the sonic importance. It's like a thousand engineers put the left mic "right there" because Bonzo's drums were mic'd that way once.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:10 pm

Worth noting that this is the first Beatles record with stereo drums and it's also pretty early on in the Glyn Johns technique. Myabe it was still in development. Also worth noting that Johns himself is much more relaxed and flexible in his approach than most of the people who adopted his technique. He doesn't measure. He just moves mics until it sounds good.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:08 pm

FWIW, I had read about, and have sometimes used, "augmented Glynn Johns" where you also put a close mic on the snare and/or whatever needs emphasis (ex., floor tom).

Here they talk about on the snare:
https://musictech.com/tutorials/techniq ... ns-method/

I did try measuring it the first few times and then realized eyeballs and ears allowed for adjustment. I recall using guitar cords to measure, drumsticks, etc. ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:52 pm

I always measure a spaced pair's distance from the snare. Mostly because it takes about 1 minute and it's definitely not going to hurt. Sure, use your ears most of all, but I like knowing that the sound from the snare is reaching each mic at the exact same time. Then forget about how the tom and floor couldn't possibly be hitting each mic at the same time, yet still sound very good.

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:35 am

losthighway wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:56 am
It's like a thousand engineers put the left mic "right there" because Bonzo's drums were mic'd that way once.
yep, and not being in the same room with them, or having Glyn's phone #, we only have the pictures to provide any historical context.

and totally agree with A.David that the "rule" was probably created by followers and "internet experts". 8)

VVV - I usually use a snare mic too.
Mike

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:40 am

losthighway wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:52 pm
I always measure a spaced pair's distance from the snare. Mostly because it takes about 1 minute and it's definitely not going to hurt. Sure, use your ears most of all, but I like knowing that the sound from the snare is reaching each mic at the exact same time. Then forget about how the tom and floor couldn't possibly be hitting each mic at the same time, yet still sound very good.
Yep!

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:10 am

trodden wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:31 pm
I love Ringo and George even more.
John is still a cunt, but obviously talented.
Paul is Paul, and an amazing song writer.

Billy Preston saved their asses and got John to act more professional.

"Glynis" Johns, Mel, and Kevin were the folks and the roles I could really appreciate along with Billy Preston.

I don't want to cancel my Disney Plus sub quite yet (i only planned to pay for one month to watch this) because I want to waste another seven hours of my life watching this again. Fucking loved it.
I think once Billy was there and playing they all kind of thought "oh shit, we better step it up and quick fucking off," because Billy was killing it from the first note!
digitaldrummer wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:48 am
joninc wrote:
A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:10 pm
Worth noting that this is the first Beatles record with stereo drums and it's also pretty early on in the Glyn Johns technique. Myabe it was still in development. Also worth noting that Johns himself is much more relaxed and flexible in his approach than most of the people who adopted his technique. He doesn't measure. He just moves mics until it sounds good.
Yeah, I just looked up the dates. The Zeppelin I sessions were in September '68 and the first time Glyn Johns stumbled on the technique. These sessions were January '69 so he was still experimenting.

He's not nearly as precious about it as the rest of us tend to be. He eyeballs and listens. Mic technique in general doesn't bog him down. There's a JJP story where he was assisting GJ and spent all this time making tine movements on a guitar amp's mic. He brought Glyn out to the studio to show off his brilliance and GJ kicked over the mic and said, just put it somewhere and get in the control room.

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:53 pm

Glyn is not a scientist. He's an artist. of all the interviews I've done that was one of the coolest. He doesn't suffer fools, and I think I riled him up a bit...
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:29 pm

He does seem like one to speak his mind. Ha! Great interview btw..