Latest Gear You've Un-Acquired....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Re: Latest Gear You've Un-Acquired....

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:52 pm

sold my Telefunken CU-29 tube mic. Great mic but I was using my other mics more. I will use the $$ for something else (to be named later...)
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:48 am

The right offers came through and I sold both of my 2" machines. I need a new Pro Tools rig and once the spring Apple announcements are made, I'll have one.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:40 am

drumsound wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:48 am
The right offers came through and I sold both of my 2" machines. I need a new Pro Tools rig and once the spring Apple announcements are made, I'll have one.
what specific machines did you sell? did you get a king's ransom or was it hard to offload them? i'm always curious how the market is on those big machines.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:48 am

SHID, I don't think I've notices this thread before.

Latest, hmmm, well, let me call "latest" the last three years, because it seems the last two years have been really funky and fucking weird with everyone adjusting to pandemic life.

I bought a Moog Minifooger MF Delay for $90 in 2016 maybe? Great sounding, simple delay with a cool drive feature. I noticed on Reverb that they had become "collectable". I'm not one to do the "buy and flip" capitalist game, but fuck, I have hella bills to pay so I let it go for $375 on Reverb to someone who was fucking stoked to have one and had the finances to do something like that. I'm sure they are using it more than me, which is good, because it was sitting on my shelf more than being used ever since finally getting a El Capistan. Well, now that I have the Radial EXTC-SA, I fucking miss it. Doh!!

Keeley Triverb. Keeley likes to do some limited run pedals, and there's people out there who love to collect them. This was great pedal. Simple, and awesome sounds. Again, hella debt/bills so I decided to let it go. The Blue Sky (sitting after my El capistan in my synth chain) had been doing all the work for the past year. Now, i'm playing some guitar, and I miss having a "regular" sized reverb box on my small pedal board that sounds really good and has different reverb choices. DOH! However, the email conversations I had with the buyer were well worth it. It's nice to meet someone new, who seems to be a good person, and have some conversations. I gotta get out more i guess. Again, now that I have the Radial EXTC-SA...

Gallien Krueger GK1001RB (mark I, not the mark II) I've been an off and off "bass player" a couple of times whenever someone is needed to cover the low and if the material isn't too technical. Basically say, I'm not a good bass player, but I can fake it if the material allows. So i've bought and sold some bass gear over the years, also, since I've found myself behind keyboards more than anywhere else in the last 10 years, bass heads work for that stuff. I got this GK head in trade for some giant fucking Peavey PA cabs that i've been hauling around and storing for the last 15 years and a giant Peavey power amp to match them. I sold this to a friend, who's a really excellent bass player because he couldn't get the tone he wanted with is Orange head, and that tone he was looking for was definitely "GK tone". Gave him the "friend discount" because profiting off of people makes me feel weird (the Minifooger MF Delay situation above made my stomach hurt for days) especially friends who are going to be using the gear more than me. I don't really miss it, but it would be nice to have a bass head around in the studio for those situations where the client's isn't working well. I did buy a sans amp so that helps. The sans amp in front of my Peavey Mark III musician or my Verellen Kalaloch gets the job done in a pinch, but it would be nice to have a head specifically for the electric bass.

Peavey 400 Series Bass Head. Ugly and awesome. I love old Peavey stuff. Again, would be awesome to have around when I need a fun bass head. Bought it for $100, sold it for $100, sticking to the mantra "ALL PEAVEY 100 DOLLARS".

Things I'm constantly thinking about selling to pay some bills but just can't and because I will likely regret.
Verellen Kalaloch. Ben added an adjustable gain knob and DI outs for me. So, it's "custom" and one of a kind (although I'm sure he's offered the option to other customers). My partner is always shooting down the idea whenever I talk about maybe selling it to pay off some debt. They make the point of it being "local art" and it would be silly to sell it for stupid money and that I'd regret it. I just haven't played a live show since 2019 and having it sitting unused breaks my heart. It's the amp for my synth/keys setup. I built (with a lot of help) a pair of Greenboy fEARful 15's to go with the massive 1400 watts of stereo awesome that the Kalaloch has.

Korg MS2000. I've had it since 2004. It was my live synth along with a keyboard midi controller for the soft synths for the last decade. It paired up with my NORD Lead rack unit for great layered synths. I'm liking the amount of space my soft synths take up, and I procured a Juno 106 a couple years ago. So between those, the MS2000 is just sitting there. I know the minute I sell it, I'll need one of the many patches I created that I can't get out of the other ones, but... there's so many other sounds that would likely work just as well, so do I really need it?

AMEK BCII. It's once again in the shop. I love this little console, but could I get the job done with a Toft ATB or a SSL Big 6 (costs the same as what I paid for the AMEK!!!) or SSL Logic X? Maybe I should just finally ditch the console altogether? I've got enough outboard pres now. However, they do make working with outboard gear that much easier and I'm still stuck on one for a hybrid mixing technique.
Last edited by trodden on Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

emrr
buyin' a studio

Post by emrr » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:48 pm

Let a pair of KMR 81i shotguns go.
Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:51 pm

drumsound wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:48 am
One was a 3M M79 that had not been in service for a long while. The PSU needs a rebuild and the reverse idler needs to be replaced. It went to the main 3M guy, who actually has the parts stash from the guys I had rebuild the thing 22 years ago.

The other was a 3rd quarter of the last year of production, 2 owner MCI JH24. It went to the main rebuilder of MCI decks. It is being refurbed as an 8, 16 or 24-track playback only machine in the NYC library archive department. He offered me extra because he was going to be able to pick it up, and basically offered me the money he'd normally spend on shipping as well as a good price for the machine.

The 3M went for far less than I bought it for in '98 (when tape decks were still kinda expensive). The MCI I technically made money on. Though I made money WITH both, so they had both paid for themselves many times over.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:06 am

sold my UAD-2 "solo" PCIe card. I swapped it for a quad (8 total DSP chips now with my Apollo 16). I gotta admit UA does make it pretty simple to un-register/re-register used gear.
Mike

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:44 am

I gave away some pedals to friends, including a Golden Horse and nano Green Muff.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:21 am

trodden wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:48 am
SHID, I don't think I've notices this thread before.

Latest, hmmm, well, let me call "latest" the last three years, because it seems the last two years have been really funky and fucking weird with everyone adjusting to pandemic life.

I bought a Moog Minifooger MF Delay for $90 in 2016 maybe? Great sounding, simple delay with a cool drive feature. I noticed on Reverb that they had become "collectable". I'm not one to do the "buy and flip" capitalist game, but fuck, I have hella bills to pay so I let it go for $375 on Reverb to someone who was fucking stoked to have one and had the finances to do something like that. I'm sure they are using it more than me, which is good, because it was sitting on my shelf more than being used ever since finally getting a El Capistan. Well, now that I have the Radial EXTC-SA, I fucking miss it. Doh!!

Keeley Triverb. Keeley likes to do some limited run pedals, and there's people out there who love to collect them. This was great pedal. Simple, and awesome sounds. Again, hella debt/bills so I decided to let it go. The Blue Sky (sitting after my El capistan in my synth chain) had been doing all the work for the past year. Now, i'm playing some guitar, and I miss having a "regular" sized reverb box on my small pedal board that sounds really good and has different reverb choices. DOH! However, the email conversations I had with the buyer were well worth it. It's nice to meet someone new, who seems to be a good person, and have some conversations. I gotta get out more i guess. Again, now that I have the Radial EXTC-SA...

Gallien Krueger GK1001RB (mark I, not the mark II) I've been an off and off "bass player" a couple of times whenever someone is needed to cover the low and if the material isn't too technical. Basically say, I'm not a good bass player, but I can fake it if the material allows. So i've bought and sold some bass gear over the years, also, since I've found myself behind keyboards more than anywhere else in the last 10 years, bass heads work for that stuff. I got this GK head in trade for some giant fucking Peavey PA cabs that i've been hauling around and storing for the last 15 years and a giant Peavey power amp to match them. I sold this to a friend, who's a really excellent bass player because he couldn't get the tone he wanted with is Orange head, and that tone he was looking for was definitely "GK tone". Gave him the "friend discount" because profiting off of people makes me feel weird (the Minifooger MF Delay situation above made my stomach hurt for days) especially friends who are going to be using the gear more than me. I don't really miss it, but it would be nice to have a bass head around in the studio for those situations where the client's isn't working well. I did buy a sans amp so that helps. The sans amp in front of my Peavey Mark III musician or my Verellen Kalaloch gets the job done in a pinch, but it would be nice to have a head specifically for the electric bass.

Peavey 400 Series Bass Head. Ugly and awesome. I love old Peavey stuff. Again, would be awesome to have around when I need a fun bass head. Bought it for $100, sold it for $100, sticking to the mantra "ALL PEAVEY 100 DOLLARS".

Things I'm constantly thinking about selling to pay some bills but just can't and because I will likely regret.
Verellen Kalaloch. Ben added an adjustable gain knob and DI outs for me. So, it's "custom" and one of a kind (although I'm sure he's offered the option to other customers). My partner is always shooting down the idea whenever I talk about maybe selling it to pay off some debt. They make the point of it being "local art" and it would be silly to sell it for stupid money and that I'd regret it. I just haven't played a live show since 2019 and having it sitting unused breaks my heart. It's the amp for my synth/keys setup. I built (with a lot of help) a pair of Greenboy fEARful 15's to go with the massive 1400 watts of stereo awesome that the Kalaloch has.

Korg MS2000. I've had it since 2004. It was my live synth along with a keyboard midi controller for the soft synths for the last decade. It paired up with my NORD Lead rack unit for great layered synths. I'm liking the amount of space my soft synths take up, and I procured a Juno 106 a couple years ago. So between those, the MS2000 is just sitting there. I know the minute I sell it, I'll need one of the many patches I created that I can't get out of the other ones, but... there's so many other sounds that would likely work just as well, so do I really need it?

AMEK BCII. It's once again in the shop. I love this little console, but could I get the job done with a Toft ATB or a SSL Big 6 (costs the same as what I paid for the AMEK!!!) or SSL Logic X? Maybe I should just finally ditch the console altogether? I've got enough outboard pres now. However, they do make working with outboard gear that much easier and I'm still stuck on one for a hybrid mixing technique.

I’ve noticed the same thing with the Moog pedals, I have the complete set. They are cool, but I’ve been holding on to them for a rainy day, ie: when it’s time to buy a new car or expensive home repair, lol.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:57 am

spring must be coming... I just sold a fine Pork Pie snare that was butcher block construction. It was either Oak or yellowheart (Bill D said his book said oak, but he thought the color looked wrong in the pictures I sent him...) and then just yesterday parted with my Pearl Crystal Beat (Tangerine Glass) drum kit. hard to let go, but the good news is I freed up a little more space in my studio...
Mike

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:38 am

seems like I've started another purge. the first to go this time is a vintage DBX 160X. Great unit but my laziness always wins out and I grab the UAD DBX 160 or even another plugin before I power on outboard hardware...
Mike

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:20 pm

Ouch.

I use my 160XT on every bass track I record, DI, mic'd amp, or simulator for years now.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:58 am

vvv wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:20 pm
Ouch.

I use my 160XT on every bass track I record, DI, mic'd amp, or simulator for years now.
I like the choices of preamps I have and with the UAD interface I can choose to "record" a plugin, or just have the effect go to the headphone/monitor mix, so I often will record w/o (unless there is a lot of poppin and slappin that needs some limiting...) and then compress ITB the later. I've compared the hardware and plugins and found the plugins to be so close that I just go for what's easiest, and that is plugin for my setup.
Mike

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:48 pm

8)

I'm a hobbiest, so I try to steer my $; having bought the hardware, I use the hardware.

I might also be a hardware fetishist*, in that I cannot imagine selling the stuff I like, much less replacing it.

But then, "workflow" for me is not at all a priority.

*Horder? But only of gear and CD's.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon May 09, 2022 11:02 am

sold a couple cymbals that I bought over the pandemic, used for a couple sessions, band then decided maybe I didn't need them (18" and 20" Istanbul Xist Ion - the ones with the holes in them -- btw these are great cymbals, and the Xist line sounds a lot like modern K's for a lot less $). thinking about selling a big-ass drum kit I bought before the pandemic and used for a few recording projects, but not sure I see myself doing another project like those.... has the pandemic changed us permanently? I think so.
Mike