yow..U67 inspired mics..

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: yow..U67 inspired mics..

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:14 pm

Peluso. Hands down.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:07 am

Having tried out the WA 251 when visiting another studio, being blown away by it and buying one for our place, when I heard about the WA 67 I jumped on it.

I've really been super happy with it.
Sounds great.
Great build/parts.

It definately punches above it's weight class.

Dok
pluggin' in mics

Post by Dok » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:12 pm

Don't know if this exists anywhere yet but I'd love to hear a shootout between the WA-67 and the Advanced Audio CM67. They're about the same price range and the people that love them seem to rave about them.

vernier
pushin' record

Post by vernier » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:00 pm

VM1 seemed like a 67 on steroids to me.

KuruPrionz
alignin' 24-trk

Post by KuruPrionz » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:43 pm

Bringing this back up from last year.

They are currently out of stock but I recently built a kit from Microphone Parts called a T-67. I have no affiliation with Microphone Parts or Roswell Microphones. I've built 3 of their kits, two of them were Mod kits for upgrading existing cheap mics. I won the first kit in a contest on YouTube and had to go find a beater MXL 990 to put it in. That one has the RK-47 capsule in it now and and a FET / Transformer circuit. It does not sound like an MXL microphone at all anymore, it's really good.

When it comes back, it should be on this page with the other T kits. https://microphone-parts.com/collection ... phone-kits
The T stands for Transformer and they have a new Platinum model transformer that I spec'ed in my order.

This is a FET circuit, it was not difficult to build if you have the right tools and some soldering experience you can do it in a couple of sittings.
It's a great sounding microphone, I am grateful to be able to get a microphone of this quality for under $500 and some elbow grease.
There are easily accessed internal switches for Cardioid/Omni and a Pad. They'll build it for you for a few more buck.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:20 am

I suppose in the interest of completeness, I'll also mention the Slate VMS ML-1. It's a LDC FET Condenser but it has a modeling plugin. The mic by itself sounds pretty good actually. Then when you insert the plugin, you can try out all sorts of different models, and of course a 67 is in there. I got the mic when it first came out and got a bundle with all of the mic models that exist so far (base, Blackbird and Classic Tubes 3). I don't use the VMS preamp, but I have a flat and neutral pre I can use. or sometimes, I just go for a nice Neve clone or whatever. I don't expect the mics to really sound exactly like the originals, nor do I have the originals to compare. What I do is just cycle through the models until one pops for me.

The downside, is that with my Apollo rig, there is really too much latency to monitor through the DAW, so I can't use the plugins during recording. The Townsend L22 looks like a better fit for that (since you can insert the plugin in the UAD console), and I considered trying one, but I've got enough "real" mics I like that its off my list and the Slate mic may hit the chopping block soon too. I am keeping the Slate ML-2 mics though (I have a pair). I find them useful from time to time (strange thing is that they also have a model of a 67...).

there's this one too... https://stamaudio.com/category/sa67/ (never tried one though)
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

KuruPrionz
alignin' 24-trk

Post by KuruPrionz » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:08 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:20 am
I suppose in the interest of completeness, I'll also mention the Slate VMS ML-1. It's a LDC FET Condenser but it has a modeling plugin. The mic by itself sounds pretty good actually. Then when you insert the plugin, you can try out all sorts of different models, and of course a 67 is in there. I got the mic when it first came out and got a bundle with all of the mic models that exist so far (base, Blackbird and Classic Tubes 3). I don't use the VMS preamp, but I have a flat and neutral pre I can use. or sometimes, I just go for a nice Neve clone or whatever. I don't expect the mics to really sound exactly like the originals, nor do I have the originals to compare. What I do is just cycle through the models until one pops for me.

The downside, is that with my Apollo rig, there is really too much latency to monitor through the DAW, so I can't use the plugins during recording. The Townsend L22 looks like a better fit for that (since you can insert the plugin in the UAD console), and I considered trying one, but I've got enough "real" mics I like that its off my list and the Slate mic may hit the chopping block soon too. I am keeping the Slate ML-2 mics though (I have a pair). I find them useful from time to time (strange thing is that they also have a model of a 67...).

there's this one too... https://stamaudio.com/category/sa67/ (never tried one though)
Nice, I've considered both the Slate and the Townshend modeling mic options. I'm a small home studio guy recording my own songs and an occasional outside project so either could cover lots of bases.
Then from out of the blue, I won the mic mod kit from Microphone Parts and built that. I really enjoyed doing that, when the T-67 was announced, I got one. I have no idea what a real U67 sounds like and while I'd love to try one it doesn't matter - this is an excellent mic and a real bargain if you can solder and screw things together. Considering the prices for assembled mics - justifiably quite a bit more expensive - I just wanted to pass this along as an option since a fair number of studio rats have spent some time with a soldering iron already.