Clip-On Tuners?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

KuruPrionz
alignin' 24-trk

Re: Clip-On Tuners?

Post by KuruPrionz » Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:21 pm

Snarks have either died or disappeared, I won't get another.

For live work, Boss TU-10, it's sturdy, accurate enough and adjusts to the lighting situation.
If it is a bright sunny day, the TU-10 reverts to gray and black and you can see it easily.
If it is a typical club stage, the TU-10 lights up and can be seen easily. Batteries last a long time.

I don't like having pedals on the floor, the fewer the better.

At home I have a Peterson VS-II Virtual Strobe tuner that I bought new in 2003. Somewhere along the way the Mode button fell off but still works perfectly and is very accurate. I never used the Mode button. I got it because I am a guitar tech, I've intonated hundreds of guitars with it and more to come.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:12 pm

One of the weirdly proudest days of my musical life was impressing the punters at Banjo Mart thru tuning a guitar by ear.

The Snarks get me there faster, easier, cheaper, and take no pedalboard space and no power.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:29 am

one of my Snark's has broken - the plastic around the ball arm (that allows it to be positioned) looks like it got weak/brittle and broke on both ends now. We can rebuild it... we have the technology.... Gaffers tape works until somebody tries to move it into position (it doesn't pivot anymore) and breaks it again... but otherwise that one is still going. The others have a habit of walking off attached to someone else's guitar. Sometimes they return, sometimes they don't. My initials in silver Sharpie is the only thing that brings them home.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Dok
pluggin' in mics

Post by Dok » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:03 am

There's a new rechargeable Snark! Just ordered one and waiting for it to arrive. Sweetwater has 'em.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:48 am

The only clip on tuner that's worth a damn and built not to break immediately is the TC Electronics one.
I use them at home and in the studio period.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:29 pm

Dok wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:03 am
There's a new rechargeable Snark! Just ordered one and waiting for it to arrive. Sweetwater has 'em.

I have a couple rechargeable monoprice brand one. They work well and were cheap af. I don’t know why more of them are not rechargeable.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:35 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:29 am
one of my Snark's has broken - the plastic around the ball arm (that allows it to be positioned) looks like it got weak/brittle and broke on both ends now. We can rebuild it... we have the technology.... Gaffers tape works until somebody tries to move it into position (it doesn't pivot anymore) and breaks it again... but otherwise that one is still going. The others have a habit of walking off attached to someone else's guitar. Sometimes they return, sometimes they don't. My initials in silver Sharpie is the only thing that brings them home.

I actually just rebuilt one last week, putting the working guts of one into the different working body of a non-functioning one. If you do, note there's a tiny screw near the battery slide-piece.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:08 am

a friend was just commenting how he got some Amazon special clip-on tuner's. It was a 2-pack that came with extra batteries. He figures he got $12 worth of coin batteries with a coupla tuners thrown in for free. :lol:
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Dubmaniac
gettin' sounds

Post by Dubmaniac » Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:46 pm

When I bought my Jazz Bass about a year ago, I found something in the gig bag storage compartment- a TC Electronics PolyTune clip-on tuner. Now I keep it in my control room for any and all guitars and basses. It works perfectly.
"Stare with your ears"- Ken Nordine

KuruPrionz
alignin' 24-trk

Post by KuruPrionz » Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:06 am

roscoenyc wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:48 am
The only clip on tuner that's worth a damn and built not to break immediately is the TC Electronics one.
I use them at home and in the studio period.
The TC stuff is good kit, no doubt. Strobe tuners are more accurate, not disputing it.
Disagree on the "built not to break immediately" part.
I'm 6 years in on a Boss TU-12 that I got in a gig bag I bought at a pawn shop, so it was already used when I got it.
Zero problems, I used it last night. Batteries last a long time and the tuner slowly gets dimmer as the battery gets weaker so you have time to get another battery too.

I might get a TC or a Peterson some day, maybe if the Boss ever stops working. I picked up another TU-12 on fleaBay, Roland factory second (probably a return) for $15. It works perfectly also.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:28 pm

Sorta OT but I had one of the first Sabine LED tuners - still have it with like 25 LEDs onnit.

Anywhat, mebbe 15 years ago I rebuilt a Rhodes suitcase keyboard (had to replace and/or carve/sand some wood, naval jelly and scrape and sand and steel wool the tines, rewire some of the pups, clean the keyboard and amp contact points and tighten the speakers and cab, etc.) and I used that Sabine to tune 77 fcuking keys.

Worked, too.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.