Making a drum sound without drums or samples

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

KuruPrionz
alignin' 24-trk

Re: Making a drum sound without drums or samples

Post by KuruPrionz » Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:19 pm

Legend has it that Ringo played a shipping crate on Words Of Love, the only Buddy Holly song the Beatles recorded and released.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:29 pm

I did this tune with a piano bench for the kick, a blend of a cardboard box and a tin Scotch case full of bbs for the snare, and I think I tapped on some drum hardware for the hi hat. Small cheat, I think I blended a floor tom hit with a mallet for the kick, but it's mostly bench.

https://snappylittlenumbers.bandcamp.co ... d-of-noise

KuruPrionz
alignin' 24-trk

Post by KuruPrionz » Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:53 pm

losthighway wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:29 pm
I did this tune with a piano bench for the kick, a blend of a cardboard box and a tin Scotch case full of bbs for the snare, and I think I tapped on some drum hardware for the hi hat. Small cheat, I think I blended a floor tom hit with a mallet for the kick, but it's mostly bench.

https://snappylittlenumbers.bandcamp.co ... d-of-noise
Nice work losthighway, thanks for sharing. Piano bench kick is a win too!
There are so many ways to get this thing done. Nothing wrong with real drums, I'm in a multi unit condo and share a wall and a ceiling with neighbors.
I don't think drums would sound that good in this small space anyway and I don't need to have angry neighbors so I've got to do other things or move operations elsewhere. Other things is my best option.

Scodiddly
speech impediment

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:22 pm

A few years ago during a slow period at work we had a big popcorn tin, probably a gallon capacity and the lid had a plastic window glued into the metal. Sounded kind of tom like, and with a few washers thrown inside turned into a very convincing snare. Added a contact mic attached to an Atlas mic stand base and we had 2/3 of a drum kit.