Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by CraigS63 » Sun May 15, 2022 5:29 am

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 11:31 am
Just picked up a nice 1960's harmony baritone uke on craigslist. I'm a bit of a sucker for baritone uke. It covers some of the same tonal range as classical guitar but it's size allows for chord shapes and voicing that would be impossible. This one is solid mahogany and sounds lovely. I just have to replace the friction pegs with something usable.
I have one as well, and interested to hear how you replace the tuners. Tightening the screws only seems to help up to a point.
I think it has the nicest "real" wood of any of my guitars or ukes. Slightly bowl-shaped back.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon May 16, 2022 5:03 am

Grover planetary banjo pegs are the best of the best.

This is the cheaper option -

https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-hardw ... BQQAvD_BwE

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon May 16, 2022 3:37 pm

This past week, I got two tube devices:

A Summit Audio TD-100 direct box, for cheap from REverb com, as the old owner thought it was broken (could not get the yellow "drive" LED to light up... it is only supposed to light up when distortion happens LOL).

A brand new (s/n/ 6) 2ubes audio mic preamp and DI box. This one was designed and hand built by Larry Janus, a tube genius who has designed many cool things over the years for different manufacturers.

Very excited about both deavices in the studio!
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon May 16, 2022 6:34 pm

winky dinglehoffer wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 5:41 am

Just bought a guitar for the first time in 10 years or so--a hardtail version of the Yamaha Revstar 502. So far it's nice--I think it'll find a comfortable spot in my relatively limited guitar arsenal.
I have sworn off buying guitars for the time being, but did find myself checking out those Revstars too.
(Just for research purposes don't you know.)
The 502T versions? P-90's, stainless steel frets, satin finish on the backs of the carbon reinforced neck , interesting electronics that sounded pretty darn versatile in the demos, somewhat extended string to body area after the bridge for plinky-plink sound effects. Sounds like a keeper, hope you continue to dig it!

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Mon May 16, 2022 7:37 pm

^Those guitars look and sound great. The only thing that kept me from picking one up is the body contour. It felt really flat to me like I couldn't rock and roll strum it without changing my technique or getting a blister on my wrist.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Mon May 16, 2022 8:41 pm

shedshrine wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 6:34 pm

I have sworn off buying guitars for the time being, but did find myself checking out those Revstars too.
hope you continue to dig it!
This is the original version--I'm pretty sure it doesn't have the carbon reinforced neck--and it's the straight 502, with the hardtail bridge. Also, it has the "dry switch," which is just a passive bass-cut filter, as opposed to the "focus switch" the new one has in its place. The guitar feels really good to me--nice fit & finish--and I like the p90s quite a bit, although I haven't quite gotten the bridge pickup set perfectly yet (perfectly for me, anyway.) The dry switch is pretty handy too--I imagine I'll use it more when I'm recording.
Last edited by winky dinglehoffer on Tue May 17, 2022 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue May 17, 2022 6:55 am

a bit off the normal "gear acquired" path, but I finally picked up a Wifi router to dedicate to my Behringer XR16. Actually I went through several. The first I bought off Amazon as a "used-very good" item. Sometimes that works great for me, but in this case it was a nightmare. The router had Chinese language firmware and I could not change it so I sent it back... then I got another but didn't realize it was an "access point: only and not a router (no dhcp), so back it went. Finally got a TPLink TL-WR802N mini router - this thing is smaller than a box of Altoids and it works great. As recommended, I hid the SSID so it was not visible to everyone and their brother. And of course at a live show a few weeks ago I did with my band, I did not have this and lost control of the XR16 mixer - a well known phenomena when you have lots of cell phones in the area that are checking for a wifi signal and overwhelm the built-in access point on the XR mixers. I had used it a few times before (outside of rehearsals) and did not have a problem, but this time was a bit larger crowd. So, now (as Neil wrote and Mickey sang) I'm a believer. Hopefully in the future it's all good, but I'll bring a backup old-school mixer anyway just in case.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu May 19, 2022 6:04 am

Picked up a Behringer 2600 (blue Marvin edition). The arp 2600 has been a bucket list synth for me for over two decades, it seems like this is as close as I will get.

https://imgur.com/a/9gFSJsZ

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu May 19, 2022 8:38 am

I just got a couple spare tablet holders (that clamp to mic stands or whatever). I had the choice of one for $11.85 or 2 for $12.15 (actually looked back and I only paid $10.15 and then Amazon jacks up the price for the second purchase... uggh). Well, yes, I'll take the pair. They are just like the one I probably paid $25-30 for awhile back and these come with the longer arms for bigger tablets so I can use it with my 10" tablet too! great deal that probably won't last much longer.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B074VP9Z28/ ... UTF8&psc=1
Last edited by digitaldrummer on Fri May 20, 2022 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu May 19, 2022 11:40 am

A cuppla 24" right-angle flat TS patch cords for a pedal board build.

Ya really gotta shop the small shite like patch cords (yeah, I just felt too lazy to build only 2), as prices can vary by like 300%.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri May 20, 2022 8:29 am

vvv wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 11:40 am
A cuppla 24" right-angle flat TS patch cords for a pedal board build.

Ya really gotta shop the small shite like patch cords (yeah, I just felt too lazy to build only 2), as prices can vary by like 300%.
the monoprice Premier series are actually pretty nice patch cords - at least so far for me - at a reasonable price.

https://www.monoprice.com/category/pro- ... tar-cables
Mike

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri May 20, 2022 6:47 pm

I bought the Audioblast because they seemed like they might be ... fun. :twisted:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CXN5Y7D?ps ... ct_details
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed May 25, 2022 8:31 am

Got a pair of Amek System 9098 mic pre and eqs. I had to sell my last pair years ago to cover some emerency expenses. I am so happy I have these back. From their original owner, in pristine condition. These are incredible. I will try to buy more as I can, perhaps getting to 8 or even 16 channels.

I asked Rupert Neve which design he liked most, and the 9098 system is what he told me was it. This was right after he had brought out his new white series.

https://www.historyofrecording.com/AMEK_9098i.html
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed May 25, 2022 12:28 pm

Bassbreaker, baby! 007!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sun May 29, 2022 7:09 am

I just bought my second Symetrix 501 toggle version. I hadn't planned on getting one but I've had an Overstayer SVC on order for about 7 months and I've become fixated on having a grindy stereo thing for parallel drums. I've got a heap of mixing to do so I'm going to try stereo linking a couple 501s.