Channel Strip Plugins

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Channel Strip Plugins

Post by Recycled_Brains » Mon May 23, 2022 8:22 am

I've been demo'ing the UAD API console channel strip on every channel of a session I'm mixing. Holy shit, where has this thing been all my life? I always kind of avoided these types of plug-ins for whatever reason. Maybe it's the sort of locked-in nature of it, but every component of the thing is useful and sounds great. The compressor is the only thing that I sometimes don't use because the limited controls don't always work for the source, but most of the time it works just fine on it's own or in front of something else. The efficiency of it, simply from not demo'ing different plugins to find the "right one" is so welcome to my workflow. It's also making me wish I had a fucking console and not just a piecemeal rack of outboard stuff that is all different.

What are some other similar things that are good?
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Re: Channel Strip Plugins

Post by drumsound » Mon May 23, 2022 2:36 pm

I did a mix using the API Legacy on every channel and had a similar experience. The mix came together really easily, I even used the gates on the floor toms. I believe the only difference between the Legacy and the current one is that the Legacy has 550b, but the 'new' version is 550A or 560, which is kinda cool. I tend to prefer having 4 bands of EQ, so I don't think I'll update this anytime soon.

I've heard a couple of people who like to do the same things with the Neve 88R strip, and with SSL strips from various plugin companies.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon May 23, 2022 2:55 pm

I've been enjoying the Plugin Alliance channel strips. And the few Waves ones.

I am waiting to see how long it takes UAD to port to Native the plug ins I own... before deciding on buying a new CPU to use their plugins. My older Satellite FW800 is no longer supported by them on mac Big Sur and later, so I'm screwed there for now.

I once did a blind shootout between a few plugin makers, comparing their takes on API, Neve et al, and found they are very similar.

I sometimes mix with only one type of strip, as if I was in front of a console. Makes things simpler. Limitations are good.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue May 24, 2022 7:23 am

I use the Waves SSL E and G channel strips a lot. I have some from Brainworx (Plugin Alliance) as well (SSL E, N, 9K, Focusrite, Lindell 50 and 80). They are all cool in their own way but I end up going back to the SSL E/G. I have the Waves Scheps omnichannel and the UAD API strips too. Waves even put out a "new" SSL (EV2) but I find it to be too hyped in the sub-bass (and the HPF always need more cutting and then don't sound right to me). So I always end up back with the Waves E/G. I also like the gates better in those. Maybe it's because I've been using them so long I feel like I really know them, but they get the job done 95% of the time when I want to use a channel strip. And when they don't then I have all of the above strips to try instead and if one of them can't do it then we did something wrong in the recording process...

other things I use on every final mix. Slate VBC (usually the SSL and Vari-mu bus compressors) and FGX (limiter). Then on most of them I am also using the Slate VCC (virtual console) - some of these are very subtle but when you put it across all channels and busses, it's noticeable when you take it away. I use that 75% of the time and then for others I will use the United Plugins FrontDAW or Sonimus Satson/Britson because I like the HPF/LPF that are built-into those and are handy during mixing.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Tue May 24, 2022 9:09 am

drumsound wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 2:36 pm
I did a mix using the API Legacy on every channel and had a similar experience. The mix came together really easily, I even used the gates on the floor toms. I believe the only difference between the Legacy and the current one is that the Legacy has 550b, but the 'new' version is 550A or 560, which is kinda cool. I tend to prefer having 4 bands of EQ, so I don't think I'll update this anytime soon.

I've heard a couple of people who like to do the same things with the Neve 88R strip, and with SSL strips from various plugin companies.
The UADx one that I'm using has the 550B. I kind of prefer the 3-band because it's just less "well what if I do this instead?" kinda stuff. The 560 is one of my favorite plugins ever though. Nothing does bass and kick like that thing.

I use the gate on kick and snare. I always manually gate toms because they seem to mis-fire more often. Expander is cool on room mics for making the snare and toms just slightly louder than everything else. I'm happy to use it because the Fabfilter Pro-G, while being a good, causes my CPU to spike every fucking time I open the thing. Actually, all of the FF stuff does that. Why I'm convinced the issue is graphics related. I digress...
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue May 24, 2022 11:13 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 9:09 am
drumsound wrote:

The UADx one that I'm using has the 550B. I kind of prefer the 3-band because it's just less "well what if I do this instead?" kinda stuff. The 560 is one of my favorite plugins ever though. Nothing does bass and kick like that thing.

I use the gate on kick and snare. I always manually gate toms because they seem to mis-fire more often. Expander is cool on room mics for making the snare and toms just slightly louder than everything else. I'm happy to use it because the Fabfilter Pro-G, while being a good, causes my CPU to spike every fucking time I open the thing. Actually, all of the FF stuff does that. Why I'm convinced the issue is graphics related. I digress...
I had that same issue with Waves stuff on my old Mac Mini. I'm also convinced it was graphics related.

I generally and mot a fan of gating, and feel the drumset sounds better with things ringing... Buuut sometimes, well, you know.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Tue May 24, 2022 11:49 am

drumsound wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 11:13 am
Recycled_Brains wrote:
drumsound wrote:

I had that same issue with Waves stuff on my old Mac Mini. I'm also convinced it was graphics related.

I generally and mot a fan of gating, and feel the drumset sounds better with things ringing... Buuut sometimes, well, you know.
I don't mind the toms ringing a little, but I loathe the cymbal bleed. haha. If it's heavy stuff I do it 100% of the time, exception being parts where the drummer is really going off on the toms or riding on the floor or something like that. Other stuff it's a case-by-case thing.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Post by permanent hearing damage » Tue May 24, 2022 12:31 pm

i have so many damn channel strips, but I almost never use them. I haven't used the UAD API in a good while, but when I did, it was to push the pre and use the EQ. I usually reach for the brainworx G series when I'm tracking just cuz it's a low CPU hit and I can usually put it on something without the audio dropping out.

I've honestly never found one with a comp I got along with. Granted, I never tried throwing one on every channel - dunno if my track counts would allow, even with my new beast of a computer.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue May 24, 2022 4:50 pm

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 11:49 am
drumsound wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 11:13 am
Recycled_Brains wrote:

I don't mind the toms ringing a little, but I loathe the cymbal bleed. haha. If it's heavy stuff I do it 100% of the time, exception being parts where the drummer is really going off on the toms or riding on the floor or something like that. Other stuff it's a case-by-case thing.
YEAH, I do think we work on pretty different music. I did do some gating on https://adelphiset.bandcamp.com/releases but even then I generally let the toms ring.