Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:08 pm

emrr wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:59 pm
vvv wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:39 pm
I always wondered, given those kinda issues, if it's more difficult for lefties to play keys?
more involved bass lines!
I'm a lefty, and have managed to learn a handful of songs on piano with a bass line, chords, and singing. Definitely easier to come up with a good bass line than it is to keep the chord hand moving.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:13 pm

While we're onnit ( :high: ), how do all drummers (AFAIK) play with the hats to their left?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:22 pm

vvv wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:13 pm
While we're onnit ( :high: ), how do all drummers (AFAIK) play with the hats to their left?
I would guess that it has to do with efficiency. The hat is played with the right hand, snare with the left, so the hands are close together. This is a more natural posture than with the hands and arms spread apart.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:48 pm

Right, but I mean, how to explain lefty drummers?

Actually, yer answer makes sense; my problem is how to explain drummers.

Like, period. (My latest quit yesterday.)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:20 pm

Just rec'd a cuppla daze ago ...

bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:33 pm

Just got a decently priced Summit audio Element78 MPE-200 mic pre amp and equalizer. Rupert Neve designed.

I used to use one for mastering of all things, they are amazing. They also have a TDM plugin that controls the unit and saves settings. Which is almost impossible to get. If anyone has a copy of that plugin, I'd love to get it.

It was one of the few plug in controllable and automatable hardware EQs on the market back in 1999 when they first appeared.
At any rate, I'll be building a new plug in for this unit, to control it via VST3 at least, since I am using Nuendo. Time to get my plugin in writing chops back up!

Here is a Barry Rudolph review:

https://w.barryrudolph.com/mix/summit.html
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:51 pm

Two pedals: One Control Super Apricot, and T-Rex Møller v. 1.

Re the former, damn whadda cool amp-inna-box, does a great Supro/Fender small amp sound, takes pedals well in front. Even tho' I love (and, I guess, collect) tube amps, sometimes DI is necessary and I think this is gonna work well on my DI board into cab emulators (Digitech Cabdry, Omnicab mini, some cheap Chinese thing) - it is really cool for a low gain edge-of-distortion sound, and also imparts clarity in front of an amp. I also have a Hooker's Green coming, and am looking for a Blue Twanger and the Jubilee one to go with the Rowin Dumble and Catalinbread Marshall Super emulators I have on that board. I have a Blue Berry what inspired getting this - that Bjorn guy is a genius.

Re the latter, it is a very cool OD with a blend and boost (usable alone as a 20dB clean boost), mebbe a little noisy at some settings (tried it with a Jizzmaster wit P1's into the former pedal into the living room Elektar), very flexible on the lower-gain side of things. Cool color, too. (v. 2 has a crappier bright green color and a flick-switch called "bass boost" instead of a button for "voice"; otherwise they appear to be the same.)

Re emulators, I do think that having played fairly extensively through real amps makes my ability to get good DI sounds better - Some muso friends (including a pro or two) have not been able to tell what's a real amp vs. emulators on my last cuppla EP's, linked below.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:25 am

vvv wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:20 pm
Just rec'd a cuppla daze ago ...

Is that a G&L? I can't read the headstock, but looks like it could be. I love natural finished basses.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:27 pm

It is, yeah, L-2000.

I love natural finishes, also:

G&L F-100II and a Kramer, mebbe a 250;

Peavy T-40 on the right.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:00 pm

Just arrived, a new-to-me Summit Audio element78 MPE 200 mic pre and eq. The AMEKs I got recently too.

Eventually I hope to have a few more pairs of different Neve design preamp eqs. Except the new ones, they did nothing for me, too clean.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:10 am

Scodiddly wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:22 pm
vvv wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:13 pm
I would guess that it has to do with efficiency. The hat is played with the right hand, snare with the left, so the hands are close together. This is a more natural posture than with the hands and arms spread apart.
The hihat on the left is an outgrowth of the lowboy, which is basically hats close to the floor, and only played with the foot. It was on the left, because the right foot was already occupied with the bass drum. I assume someone dropped a stick onto a low boy and it sounded cool so someone figured out how to get it up to playing height.

As to the arms spread comment, I actually find it more comfortable to play the ride than the hats and have considered a cable hat, but I don't think it works practically on a drumset.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:02 pm

I never heard of nor saw a "cable hat" before - interesting concept.

Here's one with good reviews:
https://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Drummers ... B006AGKOY0
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:04 am

OT... but another option is the "X-hat" which is basically a holder for a pair of hi-hats in a fixed position. in other words, always closed or semi-open, etc. since there is no pedal they don't adjust on the fly. this is one variety...

https://www.amazon.com/Meinl-Cymbals-MX ... B01N7R6RNT

I have something similar and actually most recently used it as a "stack' where I have a small china cymbal and splash cymbals arranged in a "stack" that that just sorta clatters when you hit it. but I have put hihats on it before too. it's useful for having a closed hihat when you have a double pedal (or double bass drum) setup and both feet are on bass drum pedals...
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:50 am

vvv wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:27 pm
It is, yeah, L-2000.

I love natural finishes, also:
I put this together a couple years ago after collecting all the parts for awhile. Thought it would be a cheaper way of getting a t-40 since their prices seem to have tripled over the last 20 years. Ended up not being cheaper! ahaha. Mostly because I used a t-45 neck. I couldn't find a rosewood or ebony t-40 neck, so just had a luthier modify the body so the slightly longer t-45 neck would intonate. I was new to refinishing then as well, and could have done a better job on the refinish. The sunburst effect didn't come out as clear as I had hoped, using two different stains, but it's faint. Since then, i've gotten into imported AK/AKM format rifles and have learned a lot about refinishing wood by working with old surplus wood stocks and hand guards that are on those rifles. I don't feel like taking apart the t-40 again to try again. It looks cool, i just have to force myself to ignore the superficial things that bother me.
Attachments
Bass3.jpg
Bass3.jpg (160.52 KiB) Viewed 1408 times
Bass1.jpg
Bass1.jpg (188.15 KiB) Viewed 1408 times

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:02 am

trodden wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:50 am
I put this together a couple years ago after collecting all the parts for awhile. Thought it would be a cheaper way of getting a t-40 since their prices seem to have tripled over the last 20 years. Ended up not being cheaper! ahaha. Mostly because I used a t-45 neck. I couldn't find a rosewood or ebony t-40 neck, so just had a luthier modify the body so the slightly longer t-45 neck would intonate. I was new to refinishing then as well, and could have done a better job on the refinish. The sunburst effect didn't come out as clear as I had hoped, using two different stains, but it's faint. Since then, i've gotten into imported AK/AKM format rifles and have learned a lot about refinishing wood by working with old surplus wood stocks and hand guards that are on those rifles. I don't feel like taking apart the t-40 again to try again. It looks cool, i just have to force myself to ignore the superficial things that bother me.
That is nice!!! Don't worry too much about cosmetic stuff, if it sounds good, who cares.