CV out from Protools to analog sequencer for tempo?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

pointillist
alignin' 24-trk

CV out from Protools to analog sequencer for tempo?

Post by pointillist » Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:57 am

Ok, so clearly by the title alone I don't know what I'm doing. I'm an analog tape guy and am collaborating with a friend where I need to be able to get the tempo in prtools to set there speed of my Rucci 16 step sequencer.

I'm totally happy to do the reading I need to do to learn this, but at first pass I'm having a hard time knowing where to start. Can anyone point me in an effective direction? Thanks!!!

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: CV out from Protools to analog sequencer for tempo?

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:52 pm

Does the sequencer have a midi in? Pro tools can be send midi time code

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:18 am

Pro Tools and most other DAWs cannot output CV (control voltage).

You'll need a MIDI to CV converter.

You'll also need to output MIDI from your PT to that converter. Does your DAW already have a MIDI output? Sometimes you can use an existing USB keyboard to do this.

https://www.perfectcircuit.com/signal/midi-to-cv
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:53 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:18 am
Pro Tools and most other DAWs cannot output CV (control voltage).
I believe there was one from MOTU a few years back that did--I have no idea if they still make anything like that. EDIT: If you find MOTU's Volta User Guide online, you should find a list in there of at least some DC-coupled interfaces.

pointillist
alignin' 24-trk

Post by pointillist » Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:36 am

This is all really helpful, thanks- my converter (RME 802) does MIDI, so I'm going to look into that. I have a little box that turns audio into CV, so I might try that as well. This is new territory to me, appreciate the help!

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:32 am

If the sequencer takes midi you're all set. You can set up pro tools for midi machine control. That means when you hit play on pro tools the sequencer starts. I did a record a few years ago for an artist who writes everything on a keyboard work station. We used midi machine control to trigger the work station so we could record all the various parts of the songs onto individual tracks. It took a bit of research on my end to get it set up but it worked flawlessly once it was up and running.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:20 pm

You want a MIDI clock to pulse converter. MIDI clock works in terms of song tempo - faster tempo means more frequent clock pulses.

The hangup is that MIDI uses 24 pulses per quarter. If you take those directly to your sequencer, it'll probably run much faster than you want. If you divide that by 6, you'll get 1/16th notes, or by 12 for 1/8ths, or 8 for triplets.

You don't need MIDI machine control or MIDI timecode, which work in terms of film/video frames.

You also don't want to be confused by the old "MIDI to Sync" converters, which generate DIN-sync, which is used to synch up pre-MIDI drum machines, but also at 24/48 PPQ.

I'm trying to find you a standalone product that'll do the conversion. The Erica Synths MIDI to Clock V2 seems seems like it does the right stuff, but it's a euro module. There's also the Doepfer msy2, which is nominally a DIN sync converter, but can be set for subdivisions - it'll also require special cabling to get the pulses out of the DIN jack.

A different approach would be the Rucci Clock Trigger - it takes audio in, and outputs clock pulses. You could record some small, impulsive sound (handclap?), then feed the audio to that box, and it'll make clock pulses from it.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:48 pm

winky dinglehoffer wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:53 am
I believe there was one from MOTU a few years back that did--I have no idea if they still make anything like that. EDIT: If you find MOTU's Volta User Guide online, you should find a list in there of at least some DC-coupled interfaces.
Motu did that, I had some of their hardware back in the day. But only through their own DAW, which is not the case here. I hope the OP gets it sorted, as being able to interface CV to MIDI opens up a whole world of fun things to do with old synths.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

pointillist
alignin' 24-trk

Post by pointillist » Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:52 pm

I have that Rucci clock trigger box! Will try it again- I tried sending a click to it, but no dice. Going to mess around with it more tonight, and night pick up a Kenton pro solo at the local synth store to see if that gets me closer as well!

pointillist
alignin' 24-trk

Post by pointillist » Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:56 pm

And... I am so not good at this! I just had some back and forth with Michael at Rucci instruments, and you all are correct. The Clock Trigger is exactly what I need. And reason it didn't work last night? I had the wrong cable plugged in, since I'm still learning.

So now, I have Click II running and going out of a hardware out on the RME, into the Clock Trigger. It reads it perfectly, and outputs tempo to the sequencer. Works like a charm, and is simple an elegant. Big props to Rucci and thanks for people's input here. Totally appreciate you all.