Hamptone gain block / mic preamp article

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Hamptone gain block / mic preamp article

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:09 pm

If y'all remember way back to 2004 or so when Scott Hampton wrote an article about a DIY J-FET mic preamp design, including schematics and application notes... I finally built mine last year. Turns out it has maybe a little too much gain for most people these days, as we're all mostly driving the mic preamps in our interfaces instead of big iron tape machines.

However, I figured out that the basic gain block circuit, which does something like 23dB of fixed gain, is a pretty nice alternative to the Cloud Lifter type devices for dynamic mics with the standard mic pre nowadays. So I'm building a box with a four of those and a couple different varieties of transformers that I had laying around.

I'm having circuit boards made, and I'll have extras. Anyone interested? The actual board and components will be pretty cheap, just a few bucks. A really good modern switching supply is under $15, and then you just need mic transformers (the expensive part). Unbalanced output probably equivalent to a decent condensor mic when a dynamic is plugged in. No provision for phantom power but that would be pretty easy to add with another (+48vdc) switching supply.

:!: :!: :!: I've based the layout on some 2N5457 FETs that I've got from something else, but aren't those kind of rare nowadays? I could do it for something reasonably equivalent as the exact FET isn't critical. :!: :!: :!:

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Re: Hamptone gain block / mic preamp article

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:02 pm

I'd be in for a couple of channels (or is it 4 channels on one board? In that case I'd be in for 1 pcb). I have 2N5457s and a few other FETs, so no worries for me in that regard. I might even have extras to share if anyone is in need. EDIT: I've got at least 20 2N5457 that are surplus to my needs & would donate to anyone who's working on this project & needs them.

Scodiddly

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:48 pm

It does look like somebody is actually making through-hole 2N5457 again these days. So I'm not going to worry about that - minimum order is only 10 boards, and so far more than half already have a home.

Scodiddly

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:26 pm

PCB files uploaded to Chinese website and paid via PayPal - probably 3-4 weeks since I'm being cheap on the delivery speed.

Still freaks me out a little bit every time I do this. Finish my design, upload the files, pick a PCB color (they'll be yellow!) and a couple other options, and then just wait.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:37 pm

Scodiddly wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:09 pm
If y'all remember way back to 2004

So I'm building a box with a four of those and a couple different varieties of transformers that I had laying around.

and then you just need mic transformers (the expensive part.
Any thoughts on transformer ratios for this project? I have some smallish 1:3 and 1:4 lying around—that’s the cheap option. I have a few others of different ratios, bu it’d be nice to put these to good use if they’ll work here.

Scodiddly

Post by Scodiddly » Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:08 pm

winky dinglehoffer wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:37 pm
Any thoughts on transformer ratios for this project? I have some smallish 1:3 and 1:4 lying around—that’s the cheap option. I have a few others of different ratios, bu it’d be nice to put these to good use if they’ll work here.
Not a clue. I've got a pair of Cinemag CM-75101APC transformers that I got in a group buy years ago, also a pair of old DuKane 3A55 transformers. I recently happened into an appropriate rack chassis, so I'm going to put in four channels with those transformers and see how it sounds. The input impedance of the J-FET should be 1M, so no worries about having to "drive" a strong signal into it.

I might even build a "fun" version with a doorbell transformer and a stack of 9v batteries to power it, just to see if it's good or bad.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:13 pm

I didn’t know if levelwise there might be a ballpark ratio that would give best results. I have a variety of options available, so I guess I could just experiment till it sounds great.

Scodiddly

Post by Scodiddly » Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:44 am

emrr
buyin' a studio

Post by emrr » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:49 am

It’s a hi-Z input so a higher ratio transformer gives the lowest noise. Anything 10k or higher worth a try. Tradeoff is higher ratio, higher gain, though the way transformers work a 10K isn’t as much less as a 50k might appear, in the neighborhood of 6dB.
Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73

Scodiddly

Post by Scodiddly » Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:09 pm

Got my cards in last week, finally had a chance to stuff one and make a rats nest of test leads and temporary wires. It works! There are a couple things to tweak, but I think it will be a success.

Scodiddly

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:44 am

Another update - I have one channel working, still with a few test leads but waiting on parts to fill out the project (4 channels in one chassis). It took a bit of work to stop noise from the PSU, which was manifesting itself as a fairly quiet ~2k tone. With that solved, it turns out this works great as a preamp for a dynamic mic into a phone/computer mic input. Last couple of Zoom calls I've used a Sennheiser 441 at a distance of several inches, through a primitive little iOS "interface" which pretends to be a headset.

Scodiddly

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:49 pm

I built my four channel "Dynapusher", and it works great! Nice clean gain, and because of the transformer it's actually got a very high gain going on. Definitely ribbon friendly.
Attachments
Dynapusher innards.jpeg
Dynapusher innards.jpeg (221.26 KiB) Viewed 3526 times

Scodiddly

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:36 pm

... now I just need to figure out why it's dead quiet in my workshop but picks up hum upstairs in the music room. :x

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:34 pm

Scodiddly wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:36 pm
... now I just need to figure out why it's dead quiet in my workshop but picks up hum upstairs in the music room. :x
If it isn't some other equipment's hum, you might just need to shield that power supply inside your, I might say impressive, unit.

Good job!
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Scodiddly

Post by Scodiddly » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:44 pm

Found the culprit, at least for the higher frequency stuff that was showing up in the Beyer M500. Guess I need a cleaner PSU than an old laptop brick, or at least throw some capacitors into the LED strips behind there.
Stars lamp.jpg
Stars lamp.jpg (145.79 KiB) Viewed 3429 times
Still some 180Hz hum showing up in the Shure 333, which might be the neighborhood rather than my house. Maybe replacing that old aluminum siding with vinyl was a bad idea? I can position the 333 to minimize that hum and notch it out too.

EDIT: Also I need to remember to wipe off the lens on my phone before taking a photo.