Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by roscoenyc » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:13 am

I've had a couple mix sessions w the UnFairchild 670m II

As I said above, our main 2 mix compressor has been the CraneSong STC-8. In addition to other stereo comps we have a Manley Variety-Mu and a Chandler TG-1 that we've mixed through but since getting the CraneSong in around '03 it's been our main bus compressor. These are all older models and none of them have built in side chain capabilities.

We have used the 670 on the drum bus in place of the Chandler and really liked it but I wanted to try mixing through the 670 (I'm just gonna call it that here). We didn't have a lot of time to mess around but before our mix session (and before the client got there) we put up one of the songs that I had been working on at home, deleted the master fader and ran the mix I had through the console so we could route that mix to both the STC-8 and the 670. Got them close settings wise and listened. The difference we heard was subtle so excuse my non-tech speak. They both sounded very good and just a little different. We heard the 670 as just a "fuller" and "sweeter", meaning it was giving us just a little more harmonic content. So we decided to use it on the mixes. I didn't record and comparison clips but I may try to do that sometime when we aren't working with a client.

Since the 80's I've been a put the comp on the 2 mix in the beginning and mix through it guy.
We really enjoyed using it. I can see using it on the 2 mix or on the parallel drum bus, or on the parallel guitar bus depending on where you really wanted that sweetness the most. Where we have it set up it's kind of visual too with the amp jewel light and the big meters. I enjoyed it and the client liked it a lot too.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:31 am

where's the "Like" button?
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:16 am

I finally got a second Josephson E22S. The unexpected versatility of the first motivated my long term savings plan to purchase another.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:18 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:31 am
where's the "Like" button?
thank you!

vernier
pushin' record

Post by vernier » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:23 pm

After waiting months I finally bought three strings ..two for a twelve string and one for another twelve string. That'll be it for 2022 ! !

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:51 pm

roscoenyc wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:13 am
I've had a couple mix sessions w the UnFairchild 670m II
Damn, that's HAWT.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:52 pm

losthighway wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:16 am
I finally got a second Josephson E22S. The unexpected versatility of the first motivated my long term savings plan to purchase another.
The only mics on my want list besides a fet 47 reissue/copy! They really do the job well!!

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:34 pm

trodden wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:52 pm
losthighway wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:16 am
The only mics on my want list besides a fet 47 reissue/copy! They really do the job well!!
They really live up to the hype. They're fast but such a smooth top end for an SDC. Just as great on snare as toms, if I were richer I'd have 3.

Antler23
pluggin' in mics

Post by Antler23 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:39 pm

Picked up a Roswell miniK87 mic. Really liking it. I've got a voice that can go a bit nasal if I'm not careful, but the Roswell does all the right things in the right spots. I'd first ordered their k67, as the U67 has always been my fav, but the Roswell 67 brought out a bit too much NPR, as my wife put it. The 87 is just what I need for home recording. I held up my 12-string near the mic to record a scratch guitar track and even without concern for proper anything, it sounded good. Natural and "like a guitar." I've been using an Aston Origin for a couple years and I do like it, but it can harsh out on my voice when I'm not looking.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:45 am

I just installed a set of custom 3-way monitors. There's a local builder who usually makes larger models, but I asked him about some nearfields a bet ago and he came up with something cool. He's very into the dipole concept, which is basically cabinet-less speakers. Drivers are mounted on a baffle. This doesn't work well for bass, but is great for low mids and higher. The speaker he designed had an 8" aluminum driver in a sealed box with a baffle that has an 8" ribbon drive for mids, and a 2" ribbon driver that is like a super tweeter. It's a tri-amped system controlled by a Dayton Audio DSP for crossover and correction EQ. What's really great about the components he's chosen is that the woofer can play pretty high and the midrange ribbon can go pretty low, so the typical issue of a crossover hole is eliminated, generally.

Once he got it dialed in yesterday, I spent the rest of the day just listening to things. They are super fast and detailed. My ears and brain are still doing some adjusting.

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Post by alexdingley » Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:43 pm

Just finished the initial run through with my new I/O.

Got the first of 2 or 3 Metric Halo ULN-8 mkIV boxes. Wow... So far, I'm really impressed. I've loved the Antelope Orion 32+ that I got back in 2017/2018, but the flexibility that this unit (and it's control panel / routing / mixer) offers really blows Antelope out of the water. + the baked-in DSP plug-ins sound really good!

Spend the last hour just f'n around with channels strip plug-ins /routing experiments. So far, I think it's gonna work out super well.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:35 pm

MXR Bass Compressor: pretty transparent, pretty lights.

Walrus Jupiter: I love this trend of switchable dirt in one pedal, like the Walrus Iron Horse and the Earthquaker plumes and various Chinese Rats, even the Behringer Superfuzz clone ... very cool to have all the variations. This one is equally good on bass and guitar - just put it on my #2 bass board (lives in my living room for playing through a Rumble) and loving it.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:41 am

pulled the trigger on another A-Designs EM "Gold" 500 Series preamp. I find my self in need of some pairs of preamps recently, and I already had one of these and really like it. Of course both my 500 chassis are full so that means now I have to make a decision on which one to pull (and sell)...
Mike

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:56 am

Today I got a stereo stager SE-2N. Long story, but something I’ve had for months sold, and the money was there.

I have the original SR-2N, and I like it on drums. I could have bought another and rigged up a Blumlein mount over the kit, but the stager is so useful on many things…

So now the stereo version hangs over the drum kit, and I have the mono mic to move around the room.

My overheads have been a spaced pair of Sony C38b’s and they’re still there. I want to A/B them. The Sonys are very natural sounding and a bit airy, I’m hoping the Stagers will be a total contrast.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:35 am

I wanted a kit with deep power toms in the studio (because sometimes I need that sound and all my other kits are "standard" size), so I picked up this old Pearl Export. It had a stainless wrap but looks like it was gigged without cases. So I "re-finished" or maybe re-purposed the existing wrap. I call it "BB Gun Fight". It sounds pretty good, but unfortunately it's still not really the sound I was looking for so I will probably just move this onto the chopping block anyway... it was a fun project though.
BBgunfight.jpg
BBgunfight.jpg (303.73 KiB) Viewed 2313 times
Mike