Additional Analog Outputs via ADAT

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Additional Analog Outputs via ADAT

Post by trodden » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:24 am

Hello.
I've been using this Alesis AI-3 for over 20 years to add additional analog ins and outs with my various pro tools rigs. Originally paired up with a Digi 001 from 2002-2011, then with a TDM Mix Plus, and then finally with my HD2 system along with a Digi 192. I got it modified/upgraded by Black Lion in 2012.

I think it finally died on me. I'm no longer getting output from it. Considering I paid a good amount to have it upgraded, I was never worried about it not being "good enough" along with my 192's ins/outs.

A lot has changed over the last 20 years. I'm looking at the following options. Get the AI-3 repaired, will it be worth the costs? Buy another used AI-3, and deal with it stock (don't really want to pay for yet another mod on an ancient piece of gear). Or, buy a second used 192. Or, something else? The only thing I see is the Behringer ADA8200, and for many reasons, i'm a bit wary of the quality. I won't be using the preamps, only the conversion via line ins and outs, mostly outs, because my 16 ins on the 192 are enough for the time being.

I'm completely ignorant if I can use any other interfaces, made within the last 10 years, along with my 192 via adat light pipe.

I also see a few Frontier Tango 24's on the used market, which would work for what I do, but I have no idea how they sound compared to my modded AI-3, a stock AI-3, or the Behringer unit.

Thanks.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Additional Analog Outputs via ADAT

Post by trodden » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:32 am

I may just need to bust out the Sweetwater credit card and get this. It looks like something that I could use when I decide to upgrade to an Apollo rig within the next 3-4 years. For some reason I've never heard of this product/company. Granted, I'd only be able to use 8 of the 16 channels if I tie it in with my 192.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... -converter

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:43 am

And if I am going with the SW credit card and financing options, this is also in my monthly "price range".
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... octamic-ii

It would give me 8 more pres, which would be handy when tracking full bands.
NOPE! Thanks The SCUM for the heads up.
Last edited by trodden on Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:53 am

NOPE!!! Thanks The SCUM for the heads up.
Last edited by trodden on Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:11 am

trodden wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:53 am
Hell. This may be the answer?
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ent-asp800
If that is the answer, you can get it here cheaper:
https://www.thomannmusic.com/audient_asp800.htm

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:44 am

I'd go for the Ferrofish, it has ins and outs. The Audient only has ADAT inputs.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:46 am

I don't believe the Audient or RME convert from ADAT to Analog. Neither has an ADAT input port. I think the analog outs on both are just the output from the preamp stage.

In the respectable quality column, you might also keep an eye open for an Antelope Orion 32 or Lynx Aurora.

In the older column, there's also the Aphex 141, Apogee DA16 and the Lucid/Symetrix ADA8824.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:59 am

The Scum wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:46 am
and the Lucid/Symetrix ADA8824.
Kind of an annoying device because routing is configured with a DIP switch--it drove me crazy during the brief period I had one. I have an 88192 now--they can still be pretty pricey on the used market, but at least routing etc. is configurable via the front panel.

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Post by alexdingley » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:03 am

You might consider any of the Focusrite Clarett+ interfaces... I had the thunderbolt2 version until recently. it sounded great, and it was totally capable of being used (after you plugged it in via it's own host connection to set up the settings) as a stand-alone Analog ← | → ADAT converter.

So if you go with something that is, in and of itself, an I/O box, (that has the same ability) then you've got a dual function option. It can be a converter in both directions most of the time, and if / when you need to travel & record something/someone you can use it with any laptop as a full I/O.

Food for thought.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:45 pm

The Scum wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:46 am
I don't believe the Audient or RME convert from ADAT to Analog. Neither has an ADAT input port. I think the analog outs on both are just the output from the preamp stage.
DUDE. Thanks for noticing that.. FUCK. Thank you again...

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:48 pm

Nick Sevilla wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:44 am
I'd go for the Ferrofish, it has ins and outs. The Audient only has ADAT inputs.
I'm thinking this may be the way besides getting another 192... Which will be worthless when I do upgrade the whole system in 2-3 years, at least the Ferrorfish had a chance of still being relevant.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:49 pm

alexdingley wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:03 am
You might consider any of the Focusrite Clarett+ interfaces... I had the thunderbolt2 version until recently. it sounded great, and it was totally capable of being used (after you plugged it in via it's own host connection to set up the settings) as a stand-alone Analog ← | → ADAT converter.

So if you go with something that is, in and of itself, an I/O box, (that has the same ability) then you've got a dual function option. It can be a converter in both directions most of the time, and if / when you need to travel & record something/someone you can use it with any laptop as a full I/O.

Food for thought.
I'm digging this food. I'll look into this. thanks!

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:39 pm

I guess at this point, it comes down to either a second 192, or the Focusrite Clarett+8Pre, or the FerroFish Pulse 16.

Second digi 192
Pros: $250-$350 so I can afford it without financing. I know it will work with my PT 9 HD2 rig.
Cons: Worthless when I do finally upgrade my ancient PT9 HD2 rig.

Focusrite Clarett+8Pre
Pros: 8 more preamps, that could be useful someday. Modern piece of gear. Allows me to have a mobile tracking rig with my laptop which is handy in this day and age.
Cons: Worried that I'll have issues with it behaving with my 192/PT9. Does it work as advertised in "stand alone" mode with my current rig. Will be paid off in two years.

FerroFish Pulse16
Pros: High quality conversion. Simple in and out. 16 ins and outs total. Will be useable with future DAW rigs and likely will be used in the future. Better resale value.
Cons: I can only use 8 of the 16 in/outs with my 192 so current bang for buck is expensive but I can afford monthly financing payments.

also
Fixing AI-3
Pros: I know it works (when not broken). Already paid to have it modded by BLA in 2012, I've made dozens of records with it. Simple to use.
Cons: I haven't heard back from BLA about a repair service. It's old as fuck. Will repair costs be worth the value of the piece itself?

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:05 pm

I'd just get a second Digi 192 then. Probably the cheapest option.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:06 pm

Nick Sevilla wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:05 pm
I'd just get a second Digi 192 then. Probably the cheapest option.
Definitely the cheapest but still solid option. Leaning that way. I got the rack space.