Watts going ohm?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Watts going ohm?

Post by Jitters » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:57 pm

Hey, all. I’m considering treating myself to a new pair of cans. I’ve been using Sennheiser HD 280s, which are 64 ohms, and am looking at a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770s, which are available in 80 or 250 ohms. I will be using them with an Arturia AudioFuse Studio. I know that more ohms mean less volume, but aside from that I’m clueless. Why would I want 250 over 80? I don’t monitor very loudly, and really, my main concern volume-wise would be to have enough to cut a vocal or a non blaring guitar/bass part. I have headphones that provide more isolation if needed, but I don’t want to be switching back and forth more than I have to. Honestly, I probably would have just gotten the 60 ohm version, but the 250 has a coiled cable, which I prefer. What other advantages might the 250 ohm version offer?

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Re: Watts going ohm?

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:02 am

I have a pair of the 250's (DT770) and I have no problem driving them to any volume that is usually much louder than I'd ever need. And I like them way better than the MDR-7506's they replaced.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jitters » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:07 am

That’s good to know. What are you plugging them into? I see you’re from Austin, you wouldn’t know The White Ghost Shivers, would you?

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:30 pm

If I'm recalling correctly, I think the 250k model has a bit brighter of a top end? I think they referred them as the "mixing" version while the 80k is the "general" version. I could be wrong, but I switched to a few pair of the 80k version after my last two pair of Sony 75-06's died, much like Digital Drummer. I really wish I made this switch earlier. They're my new favorite headphone! I was about to go the Sennheiser HD 280 route as well, since that's what we use at the station, which would have been fine, but I think I prefer the Beyer DT 770s. I'm using them everywhere (macbook headphone output, Samson headphone amp, AMEK BCII headphone out) without a problem.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:33 pm

trodden wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:30 pm
If I'm recalling correctly, I think the 250k model has a bit brighter of a top end? I think they referred them as the "mixing" version while the 80k is the "general" version. I could be wrong, but I switched to a few pair of the 80k version after my last two pair of Sony 75-06's died, much like Digital Drummer. I really wish I made this switch earlier. They're my new favorite headphone! I was about to go the Sennheiser HD 280 route as well, since that's what we use at the station, which would have been fine, but I think I prefer the Beyer DT 770s. I'm using them everywhere (macbook headphone output, Samson headphone amp, AMEK BCII headphone out) without a problem.
Ok, if this is true...
from here
https://xander51.medium.com/headphone-s ... 2aacc6a651
Sound Quality
Each DT770 Pro targets a different use-case. The 80 ohm version is more for monitoring and fun listening use, and the 250 ohm version is better for critical listening applications.

Often, the 80 ohm version is cited as having more bass…and this is true. It gets there by having slightly less harsh/less prominent treble. So, you can turn the volume up higher on the 80 Ohm version and reveal more bass as a result. A similar quality of bass is still present on the 250 Ohm model, but the highs are more harsh and strident. This is good for studio/mixing work, and not as enjoyable for home listening.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:36 pm

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:08 pm

trodden wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:33 pm
[
Sound Quality
250 Ohm model, but the highs are more harsh and strident.
I would agree with this assessment of the 250 ohm model. I find the highs a bit harsh (which is useful in its way), and the mids a bit recessed (which kind of annoys me.) I like 'em, but I don't love 'em.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:01 pm

I have a few pairs:

The obiquitous MD7506s.

AKG K240 55ohm model. I recommend. While they do not go as loud as the MD7506s, they get pretty darn loud. Better top end too, but that leads to ear fatigue.

AKG K52 32ohm. LOL crazee loud. But alas, not as good as the K240s. Cheap, usable. Scares the drummer.

Apple Airpods Pro. Darn things are quiet. This is one of our target listening devices. Terrible, bring back Steve Jobs, so he can slap the silly out of whomever built these nasty contraptions.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:58 pm

I love my DT 250's - 80 ohm. Can't comment on the 250 ohm, but in general it's easier for consumer circuitry to drive lower ohm loads.

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jitters » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:13 am

Thanks for the info folks! That video was really informative too. The 250 ohm version seems to be what I need. Fine for cutting vocals, keeping me honest on the tops, working harder on the mids, and maybe even getting an accurate read on the bass? And all while luxuriating in velour? Sold!

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:37 am

Jitters wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:07 am
That’s good to know. What are you plugging them into?
I'm plugging into a cheap Nady headphone amp (used for tracking) most of the time but it seems to work fine and I do go between the monitors and these headphones for reference when mixing. sometimes the DT770's can help me hear some low end I don't want, or even some high end I don't want. I agree that the mids might be a little subdued, but my monitors cover that area fine. and they are really comfortable
Jitters wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:07 am
I see you’re from Austin, you wouldn’t know The White Ghost Shivers, would you?
don't know the band, sorry! quick search looks like they have not been playing in a few years?
Mike

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jitters » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:11 pm

They’re still playing in a few different incarnations. Cella joining the Squirrel Nut Zippers has slowed them down a bit.

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:40 am

and if you don't have a pair of AKG K240's, they are worth picking up too while they happen to be on sale in several of the major online retailers for about $55.
Mike

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:07 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:40 am
and if you don't have a pair of AKG K240's, they are worth picking up too while they happen to be on sale in several of the major online retailers for about $55.
Definitely. I use these a lot when checking mixes.

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jitters » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:40 am

Really? Why do I need these? What are they going to tell me that the DT770s aren’t?