Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by The Scum » Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:18 pm

The Fluke 115 is a great meter, but its their entry-level, general purpose electronics meter, to compete with some of the other high-quality import meters we see these days (Wavetek, Extech, UniT, and so on). I've had one for about 10 years now. Goes everywhere I need a portable meter.

But I'd say the Fluke 8020B would be the "treating yourself" meter.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:08 am

Scodiddly wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:03 pm
drumsound wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:55 am
Scodiddly wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:32 pm

It's said that a man with a meter can be sure, but a man with two meters is never certain.
I've never heard that. Does that mean there's a THIRD meter in your future?
I own rather a collection. The issue is that once you start comparing meter readings you start questioning all your tools.

I think the quote is more accurately "a man with a meter is certain, a man with two meters is certain of nothing".
I guess I'm good to go, because I only own one, that I barely use, because I'm not smart enough to do my own repairs...

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:21 pm

The Scum wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:18 pm
The Fluke 115 is a great meter, but its their entry-level, general purpose electronics meter, to compete with some of the other high-quality import meters we see these days (Wavetek, Extech, UniT, and so on). I've had one for about 10 years now. Goes everywhere I need a portable meter.

But I'd say the Fluke 8020B would be the "treating yourself" meter.
If I wanted a vintage meter, I'd get a Simpson 260... but I already have one. 8)

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jitters » Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:20 pm

I haven't received them yet, but they are on the way - a pair of Lauten LA-120 SDCs! They come with cardioid and omni caps (putting my Jecklin disc back into play if I can find the damn thing) and should be here in time to track a mandolin next weekend and to hopefully recut some less than optimum acoustic guitar parts in the meantime. And hey! A matched pair of something besides my MD421s. Now I have everything i need and will never have to spend any more money on this hobby!

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:02 am

IMG_20220921_085944305.jpg
IMG_20220921_085944305.jpg (917.05 KiB) Viewed 2993 times
I'm in Spain for three months and needed something to keep my hands busy. It's surprisingly better than it should be.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:49 am

I’ve been kind of bad.

Korg Opsix on the blowout sale a few weeks ago $329)
Fender Jagstang in fiesta red (was also about half off, new)
Monoprice Stage Right SB20 50 watt tube amp head (about $300 shipped for Labor Day)

The Korg is a great sounding / interesting synth, kind of cheaply built (would have been disappointed at full price), but light weight

The jagstang has been in my list a long time, and I do like a short scale guitar sometimes. Needs a set of 11s then I think it’ll be perfect. My only “Fender” (as opposed to Squier)

The amp exceeds expectations, I mainly wanted the clean channel (works well), but the drive channel isn’t bad either (not my favorite but it works). Some people don’t like the reverb but it seems okay, though amp reverb isn’t really my thing anyway.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:20 am

kslight wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:49 am
The amp exceeds expectations, I mainly wanted the clean channel (works well), but the drive channel isn’t bad either (not my favorite but it works). Some people don’t like the reverb but it seems okay, though amp reverb isn’t really my thing anyway.
Pedal platform? I have a Elektar and a Pro,Jr. that we use that way for low-volume living-room jams.

And a HRDX that I would use that way if ever I could find another band ... :(
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:06 pm

I finished the first of my Scodiddly mic booster/preamp thing. Simple circuit, easy to build. This one has a Bozak transformer on the front end. Lots of gain. Initial testing suggests it plays well with ribbons.
scodiddly.JPG
scodiddly.JPG (117.17 KiB) Viewed 2877 times

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:17 pm

winky dinglehoffer wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:06 pm
I finished the first of my Scodiddly mic booster/preamp thing. Simple circuit, easy to build. This one has a Bozak transformer on the front end. Lots of gain. Initial testing suggests it plays well with ribbons.

scodiddly.JPG
Dude! Your enclosure is way cooler than mine! :evil:

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:05 am

Scodiddly wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:17 pm

Your enclosure is way cooler than mine!
Thanks! I've been on a pedal-building jag this year, so I'm getting a lot more comfortable doing this sort of thing.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:02 am

Ssshhhh, dudes. Keep it down.

We'd never want Vlayman to hear us say "Bozak", would we?
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:23 pm

No, you would not. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:31 pm

Solid Gold Funk Lite: nice envelope filter, on the subtle side at unity, nice small size. I used it atta jam the other day; it was not domineering as some, but nicely audible.

Behringer Octave Divider: this is only my second B'ger pedal (after the entirely worthy Superfuzz knock off), a knock off of a Mutron, what is why I bought it because some say it is indiscernible from a real one. Don't know about that but it sounds like one to me, and the retro design, while awkward, is kinda cool, aluminum box and all. Bonus added "ringer" what is basically distortion and I like the "mix" knob, as well. I'll never board it due to its size, but it will be fun for goofing around in the living room, and I'll use it for recording. Oh, and currently $79 at Sweetpiss.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:54 pm

Guitar show scores - a Squier Strat with pearloid pickguard & trem cavity cover (and a suspicious lack of "made in ???" labeling), and a 20 button pearloid concertina from GERMANY EAST.
The tuning on the latter is just about 50 cents off of "normal/A 440". Similar notes and sounds to diatonic harmonicas (one row is "D" and the
other is "A", push and pull play different notes).
concertina.jpg
concertina.jpg (371.92 KiB) Viewed 2798 times

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:35 pm

The new ProCo Lil' Rat.

I dislike Sweetwater's marketing practices, but they had it on sale and I hit "buy" before I realized it was from them ...

It's really cool - sounds great, about 1/3 the size but just as heavy, not easy to knob-read as it's so small but ... it sounds huge, as good as my vintage LM308 Rat II, if slightly noisier (I gotta real good old one).

Ran a Mascis Jizzmaster into a EQD Special [Speaker] Cranker stacked into it to a Elektar 10 watt, sounds much like a Marshall stack.

And it's so cute ... :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.