digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:35 pm

losthighway wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:50 am
Jitters wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:20 pm
This is true! Or you could just wait for that magic "You know what this track really needs? A guitar that squeals like a stuck pig!" moment.
I'd say about once a year that's exactly what the doctor ordered around my place. I've kept an instrument around for dumber reasons than that (I'm looking at you Mr. Drummachine).
I'm not going to change my FF338 - it sounds really good at normal volumes/gain as is and then of course it can squeal if needed (semi-hollow body). But I have some PUPs on the way for this one (and maybe another) and will see if they are any better. and if not, I will explore the ol' wax repotting adventure.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:09 am

I, too, have succumbed to the Behringer synth clone thing.

I stumbled across a used yellow TD-3-MO, so I have caught the fabled "Uli-fish."

(and, yes, make of that nickname what you will)
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:46 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:35 pm
I'm not going to change my FF338 - it sounds really good at normal volumes/gain as is and then of course it can squeal if needed (semi-hollow body). But I have some PUPs on the way for this one (and maybe another) and will see if they are any better. and if not, I will explore the ol' wax repotting adventure.
I dropped in a pair of the 57 Alnico II's (from Guitar Madness - Reverb/eBay) which are also very cheap but they were less microphonic than the originals and I think work pretty well. Maybe not as good as a name brand set, but they cost me a LOT less $$ too.
Mike

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:25 pm

I just ordered a Korg Volca Sampler. I've been nerding some electronic music and it's about as cheap as a stomp box. After dusting off my Alesis drum machine I want to make/tweak more of my own samples and I like the tactile element of programming beats on a 16 step sequencer.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:33 pm

Duncan Bass Studio Compressor - very clean and I like the blend knob and the switch to control the compressed freqs

Orange Kongpressor - gets that awesome Byrdsy jangle on single coils

Catalanbread Perseus - I'm-a try to get saxophone lines with this, altho' I am already getting some cool lead sounds
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:42 pm

I just got Soundtoys, like all of 'em. Black Friday sale of $230 was too good to pass up.

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:28 am

losthighway wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:42 pm
I just got Soundtoys, like all of 'em. Black Friday sale of $230 was too good to pass up.
I did that several black fridays ago... you will enjoy having all of the options. there's some good stuff in the bundle.
Mike

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:08 am

Thanks for the reminder! I just did the same.

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:01 pm

Amplitube 5 Max, on sale for $99, and down to about $70 with some kind of credits/points I had with IK.

Tons of presets, amp sims, effect sims, yadda yadda. And only took up 3 GB or so on my aging Macbook Pro with a smaller SSD.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/a ... tube-5-max

emrr
buyin' a studio

Post by emrr » Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:17 am

Grabbed another Lauten LS-208 for vocal stage use on the music broadcast gig I work. Been using one about a year and it’s sounded great on most everyone.

The LS-308 I got earlier in the year has also been great for acoustic bass, especially with drums onstage. Definitely a specialty mic, hasn’t really won anywhere else onstage. I did use it 6-8 feet out off a 4x12 cab with electric guitar and it sounded very good there, with not much room pickup. Haven’t tried toms, which most people talking about them are into.
Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:03 pm

Finally bought a Carl's Custom guitars power soaker, in 8ohms.

For my multiple amps which had been sitting all lonely in the storage room.

Now to buy some 9v batteries for my two active guitars, and see why my Hot Rodd Dlx one channel is acting up.

It's always something...
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:08 pm

I love the HRDX, both channels altho' the clean is better

but open it up and it's kinda a nightmare, what with the vertical board and all the surface mount

I bought mine used with a bad panel channel switch that I lazily fixed with what was there instead of replacing - works good now, but I use the floor switch to change channels, and 90% of the time it's on the clean channel because it's an awesome pedal platform

Oh, and why I came here:

I just got a used Stagg EUB which will require some practice - I figured how to use a strap to hold it up but just ordered the stand because I think that will work better - anyone here uses a EUB I'd like to hear about it

in the last few weeks I got a One Control Jubilee Marshall AIB and a Purple Humper Marshall drive, pretty good pedals,

the Catalinbread Montavillian delay is a excellent tapey-sounding delay, much dirtier and preferable to nearly any of my other mono delay pedals (including EHX, MXR, T-Rex [which are close] and various cheap Chinese) It sounds as good as my old DOD FX65(?) and the C-bread is true bypass. Stereo still belongs to the Joyo, tho', because I like the ping-pong and it do sound good mono.

and a AMT S-1 Marshall AIB that also has speaker emulation - really good, so good I have another AMT (R1, the Boogie one) on the way, along with a Hotone IR cab emulator

EDIT: I again feel the need to add that all of the above gear is used - that bass was less than 1/3 the price of a new one, and as a rule I pay less that 75% of a new piece of gear - I admit to doing a lot of surfing for gear
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:05 am

I'm happy to say that I avoided and/or deleted most of the Black Friday and Cyber Monday emails and ads. I did fall for one that came early - and that was on one more UAD plugin (the SSL bundle - E channel + G comp) - or actually 2 more plugins since it's a bundle. it was lower than I'd ever seen ($74+tax after discounts) so I grabbed it but haven't even had a chance to try it out yet. if they came out with a Spark version I'd probably use it a LOT more.

most everything else seemed like the same old sales on stuff I didn't want then or now.
Mike

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:38 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:05 am
I'm happy to say that I avoided and/or deleted most of the Black Friday and Cyber Monday emails and ads. I did fall for one that came early - and that was on one more UAD plugin (the SSL bundle - E channel + G comp) - or actually 2 more plugins since it's a bundle. it was lower than I'd ever seen ($74+tax after discounts) so I grabbed it but haven't even had a chance to try it out yet. if they came out with a Spark version I'd probably use it a LOT more.

most everything else seemed like the same old sales on stuff I didn't want then or now.
I did succumb and picked up Trackspacer for $30.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:33 am

losthighway wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:42 pm
I love the few Soundtoys plugs I have and I am grateful that the company helped me out with keeping the ones I've paid for working on my old ass protools rig.