Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:01 am

I recently picked up a Lindell Lin76 hardware compressor (1176 style). I got it before all the black friday madness. Using it mostly for vocal tracking into an AML 5003D (1073'ish) or Hairball Copper (also 1073-ish) preamp and it's working nicely.

but then I also now have an Avalon Designs VT-737SM (the black "Mercenary Edition") channel strip that is sort of on semi-permanent loan (complicated), so along with my UA LA-610, I'm feeling pretty good about vocal tracking options (and if I really need an LA-2A I can still use the UAD version)
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:53 am

Lord knows I didn’t need…but this was one of those elusive new guitars sold as “open box” from Pro Audio Star…$229 (half off basically). My past experience with current Squier productions (also have a j mascis jazzmaster) has been that they are capable of putting out nice stuff, and this model is no different. In many ways this is a better guitar out of the box than a $1300 made in Mexico fender I also have, I’m embarrassed to say.

This is also my only guitar with active pickups, and thought I might be replacing things…but I don’t know. Not much to dislike so far. If you fancy cheap guitars as I do, the Squier contemporary line is a win IMHO.

https://imgur.com/a/ela19dg

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:38 am

kslight wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:53 am
“open box” from Pro Audio Star…$229 (half off basically).
scrolled through that list myself but I definitely don't need another guitar... (reminding myself I'm really a drummer...) :lol:
Mike

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:07 am

I played that Mascis Jazzmaster at GC and was really impressed with the quality. And ProAudioStar really have some deals sometimes, earlier this year I picked up a couple Charvels they listed as 'used' but they were brand new, still had tags on them. Normally 1k, they had them for $699. I figured fuck it for that price I'll take two!

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:57 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:07 am
I played that Mascis Jazzmaster at GC and was really impressed with the quality. And ProAudioStar really have some deals sometimes, earlier this year I picked up a couple Charvels they listed as 'used' but they were brand new, still had tags on them. Normally 1k, they had them for $699. I figured fuck it for that price I'll take two!
Yeah the mascis is nice - a jazzmaster with a functional trem, and I like the non glossy necks they have. Definitely not from the generation of cheapo squiers I remember growing up that don’t stay in tune.

The contemporary jazzmaster has that same non glossy neck, 2 point trem (so again, a functional if not vintage style trem), and with actives makes it a poor man’s Jim Root sig. With some heavier strings I suspect it’ll be perfect.

I have bought a handful of things from Pro Audio Star… no “sales engineers” if you want customer service, in my experience….but everything I’ve bought as “open box” could have been sold as new. I’m sure they just use that to skirt away from minimum advertised price.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:58 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:01 am
I recently picked up a Lindell Lin76 hardware compressor (1176 style). I got it before all the black friday madness. Using it mostly for vocal tracking into an AML 5003D (1073'ish) or Hairball Copper (also 1073-ish) preamp and it's working nicely.

but then I also now have an Avalon Designs VT-737SM (the black "Mercenary Edition") channel strip that is sort of on semi-permanent loan (complicated), so along with my UA LA-610, I'm feeling pretty good about vocal tracking options (and if I really need an LA-2A I can still use the UAD version)
I've never seen this Lindell Lin76 before! It's affordable! I'll have to look into some reviews and see if anyone compares it to the WA76 which is the only "1176" hardware I own. I still hope to build a HairBall "blue stripe" someday.

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:50 pm

trodden wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:58 am

I've never seen this Lindell Lin76 before! It's affordable! I'll have to look into some reviews and see if anyone compares it to the WA76
this is pretty good -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=398SgkhsbBs includes the KT-76 and a Rev F too

I built one of the hairball kits awhile back and back then had to order the MNATS board separately. it wasn't too difficult and sounded great, but I ended up selling it. I basically built a Rev F but in the blue stripe chassis (cause I liked the look better). Now I think you get the whole kit so you can't mess around with it like I did (unless you use additional parts - I think the board is common)
Mike

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:27 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:50 pm
trodden wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:58 am

I've never seen this Lindell Lin76 before! It's affordable! I'll have to look into some reviews and see if anyone compares it to the WA76
this is pretty good -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=398SgkhsbBs includes the KT-76 and a Rev F too

I built one of the hairball kits awhile back and back then had to order the MNATS board separately. it wasn't too difficult and sounded great, but I ended up selling it. I basically built a Rev F but in the blue stripe chassis (cause I liked the look better). Now I think you get the whole kit so you can't mess around with it like I did (unless you use additional parts - I think the board is common)
Wow. That's a pretty cool rundown. Thanks! Although not important, I do like the Lindell's color scheme!

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:20 pm

+1 on the Mascis Jizzmaster, as I said up-thread.

I have a few guitars, and it is top 10 o'er here.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Post by alexdingley » Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:59 pm

Well... with my last piece of "old guard" gear sold off... I finally got my last two "input-path" purchases made.

I bought a second Metric Halo ULN-8 mkIV i/o box (so that's 8more preamps w/ great AD/DA and some DSP in it...

+

Since 16 converters felt like an invitation for frustration, I decided to capitalize on the fact that each of the ULN8's has an AES i/o port on it, and I grabbed a used Universal Audio 4-710D that a buddy was selling. So that's 4 of those "trans/tube" preamps w/ built in a switchable "fast or slow" "Pre-voiced 1176-style" compression circuit on it... and the converters are built in.

With that rig, (plus the shelford channels) I'm at 22 mic inputs for the home studio — and 6 of those channels are 'vibey' while the other 16 are just straight up nice & clean.

So, I've finally arrived at a rig I feel super-good about that fits in a 4x4 desk footprint.

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:38 am

got a Hairball Audio "Bronze" on the way. thought about getting one of the kits (over black friday) but then saw this for nearly the same price and it's already built (although I'd have fun building it too). but now I have to sacrifice one of the other pres that I still really like to free up a slot...
Mike

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:05 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:38 am
got a Hairball Audio "Bronze" on the way. thought about getting one of the kits (over black friday) but then saw this for nearly the same price and it's already built (although I'd have fun building it too). but now I have to sacrifice one of the other pres that I still really like to free up a slot...
I've got a second Copper that needs to be built. Ryan built my other one for me, it's my new favorite preamp. I think a Bronze would be very useful for the stuff I record.

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:45 am

trodden wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:05 pm
I've got a second Copper that needs to be built. Ryan built my other one for me, it's my new favorite preamp. I think a Bronze would be very useful for the stuff I record.
I have a pair of copper and a gold already. I like the copper best so far too but wanted to see what the bronze could do.
Mike

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:34 am

Just picked up a late 60's Harmony H162. Except for some scuffs and dirt t's in great shape. The neck angle is creeping up though and it'll need a reset at some point in the future. They all do. Still, the price was right and it plays and sounds beautiful.

[attachment=0]H162.jpg[/attachment}
Attachments
H162.jpg
H162.jpg (798.41 KiB) Viewed 5150 times

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:12 am

beautiful top on that Harmony, is that spruce?