Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by CraigS63 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:33 am

winky dinglehoffer wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:34 pm
Some dude 5 minutes from my place had a Dano guitar in great shape for a good price. Pictured here with my defretted no-name Japanese bass, which is not new to me but recently put back into service.

dano.jpg
Great score! Got the nicer bridge too! I have a reissue U2, and replaced the wood-saddle one with an Allparts 6 saddle bridge.
I usually end up using the middle switch position (a little louder, I think it's both p/u in series).
Is that black or dark blue?

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:18 pm

CraigS63 wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:33 am

Is that black or dark blue?
It's a dark blue--actually much prettier in person--and the action is great on it. So far I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:50 am

I got a new amp. I ordered it in September from Cutthroat Audio in Idaho. It's their take on the Brown Deluxe with a few extra twists like internal channel jumping and selectable negative feedback and tube/SS rectifier. It's got that cool "bias tremolo" that only the brown Fenders had. I ordered it in white because I love my white Bassman. It came with the Weber Classic Alnico speaker, a back panel master volume and the cabinet is solid pine so it weighs less than 30 pounds. I'm pretty stoked about using it on gigs. I put a couple clips of it on my Insta.

Here's the website thing on it. https://cutthroataudio.com/product/down-brownie/

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:37 pm

Awesome - the clips sound terrific, both channels and the blend.

And switchable rectumfriers!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:01 am

vvv wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:37 pm

Thanks, I'm really digging it.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:43 am

roscoenyc wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:01 am
vvv wrote:

I saw this on insta. I dig that amp, it seems to love P90s, which I also do.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:39 pm

drumsound wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:43 am
roscoenyc wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:01 am
vvv wrote:

I saw this on insta. I dig that amp, it seems to love P90s, which I also do.
Get one!
It'll go nice with your Neotek!

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:04 pm

EHX LPB-1, got it cheap because I was curious - it's actually a really nice clean boost that can sound great in front of another dirt pedal without changing that pedal's sound, kinda like s transparent stacker to drive a dirt pedal or boost a front end.

Chgo Stompworks Beef - a Red Llama clone, a nice flava of overdrive with edge, cool graffix

Heavy Electronics El Oso - a bass overdrive, can thicken nicely, can be clean or dirty but always adds bottom

MXR Fat Sugar - a Klone, said to be the same as the Sugar drive but in standard size - awesome pink metallic finish

T-Rex Quint - a really nice envelope filter, for guitar or bas - I mean really nice, doesn't volume-spike too bad and can be fairly subtle to fairly effected

EHX Green Russian (Alchemy Audio mod) - has a midrange knob added to it like the Wren and Cuff version, but also has a side bright switch.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:07 am

Just picked up a mid-60s US-made tube amp, a Gene Leis model 910. It's not the 910T, which has a built-in tremolo and seem to be more common, though these amps aren't at all common either way... there's hardly any info out there. Mine has one 12ax7 (CBS), a 6v6 (GE) and a 6x5 (GE). The speaker is the original Utah 10". It has two inputs, one with more and one with less headroom. Damn, this thing sounds sweet. The guy I bought it from said it was a 1965 or possibly '66.

Some people claim Gene Leis amps were made by Massie Electronics, which was founded by Ray Massie, who worked for Fender in the 40s and 50s and helped design their early amps. Whether or not this is true, I have no idea, but the tone is bad-ass, regardless.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:03 pm

As per my other post, I just picked up a pair of the Monoprice active ribbon mics. I resisted as long as I could but at $49 each I finally caved. My first impressions are really good. The come in a nice steel suitcase virtualy identical to the one the my 414s came with. There's a pop filter and a shock mount. The shock mount is the terrible one that comes with every off shore condenser mic but I'm hard pressed to complain given the price. The build quality feels solid.
So far I've tried it out as a front of kit mic and on classical guitar. The output is plenty hot and it sounds good. Maybe not as good as my more expensive ribbons but still really good. There's a ton of lows but the highs aren't as rolled off as I might have expected. It's fairly even sounding. On classical I had to engage the high pass filter but that might come down to placement.
I bought these imagining they'd get used as permanently installed room mics (right now I have a pair of oktava mk219s doing that). Now I'm not so sure. I'm going to leave them on stands for a few weeks and see if I change my mind.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:46 pm

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:03 pm
As per my other post, I just picked up a pair of the Monoprice active ribbon mics. I resisted as long as I could but at $49 each I finally caved. My first impressions are really good. The come in a nice steel suitcase virtualy identical to the one the my 414s came with. There's a pop filter and a shock mount. The shock mount is the terrible one that comes with every off shore condenser mic but I'm hard pressed to complain given the price. The build quality feels solid.
So far I've tried it out as a front of kit mic and on classical guitar. The output is plenty hot and it sounds good. Maybe not as good as my more expensive ribbons but still really good. There's a ton of lows but the highs aren't as rolled off as I might have expected. It's fairly even sounding. On classical I had to engage the high pass filter but that might come down to placement.
I bought these imagining they'd get used as permanently installed room mics (right now I have a pair of oktava mk219s doing that). Now I'm not so sure. I'm going to leave them on stands for a few weeks and see if I change my mind.
I’ve been tempted by these again on sale, but I just haven’t been doing a lot of recording work the last few years so it would feel like a waste.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:55 pm

https://imgur.com/a/djFzSRa

This showed up….cheap, but with the shaped case and upgraded pickups, had to do it. Downside, was absolutely loaded with stickers on the back…this photo was before I removed them all.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:44 am

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:03 pm
I could definitely see myself putting up a pair "permanently" like you said. I have a pair of AT4033's way up in the top corners today (mostly for tracking drums) but I might like a pair in a slightly different location, and for a different sound.... or even just one. interested to hear what you think about these in another week or so...
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:57 am

Not a purchase per se, but an update. Steinberg's HALion 7 sampler / synth.
Spent a good hour last night looking over the new features. This thing is insane.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Post by alexdingley » Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:32 pm

Grabbed a new computer & a used Interface:

So... due to a move, I had to essentially break down the whole home studio and find a way to work with the smallest footprint possible. All my big-boy gear is safely packed away, awaiting the home studio to eventually assume it's final-form, but for now I'm working small... to make that happen, I grabbed a new Mac Studio M1-Ultra + a used UAD Apollo Twin | X on reverb. — I have 3 UAD Satellite Octo's, so I can always pull them out & daisy-chain them in if I'm doing any heavy-hitting mixing... but for the small stand-up comedy jobs I'm working on & for my own soft-synth scratch-tracking, it's a more-than capable desktop rig. Just don't have room to do sound-treatment nor set up my newer monitors, so I'm just gonna work out of a pair of Sennheiser HD600s