Mic pads — they all work the same, right?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Re: Mic pads — they all work the same, right?

Post by Scodiddly » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:15 pm

emrr wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:59 pm
Jensens are “better”, but they will distort on low bass frequencies with a modern high output condenser on something loud. An old UTC A-10 won’t. Gotta dig into the definition of “better”.
(topic swerve)
A few years ago I got curious about all the transformers we had laying around at work. Various Radial products, Whirlwind, the mysterious dual-iso box the boss soldered together back in the 1970's, etc. Started measuring them with SMAART (because I'm a live sound guy) looking at overall frequency response w/ pink noise and then sine waves at low frequencies. Pretty interesting, and showed that most transformers did not do well with low frequencies at higher levels. The classic Sescom IL-19 had a well deserved reputation for weak bass which I was able to measure (it's actually distortion adding harmonics and therefore higher frequencies).

If you need a good XLR-XLR isolation transformer, the Radial "Ice Cube" measured really well at line level. Not sure how they're doing that, but they sound pretty good and definitely can help out in the wild world of live sound. We use them with the janky tie lines in a battleship of an old football stadium locally.

emrr
buyin' a studio

Post by emrr » Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:02 am

Cool, don’t know that Radial.
Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:01 pm

1. Hamptone's fabulous MP500A has pads at the input and output, so use those in any way you see fit. Scott Hampton designs some of the best pro audio gear in the world, but few of you have actually bought and used it. I have a lot of his gear, and can tell you it gets used ALWAYS when I am tracking. Yes, he's my landlord but he never pressures me about his gear. https://www.hamptone.com/products/mp500a - he also built me a single stage mic pre with attenuation before the circuit. It's insane how good kick and snare sound w/o circuits padded down or input stages pushed to their limits. Transients are way clearer and retain a lot of character through the mix process.

2. The OP overheard comment about pads protecting mics blows my mind in the ignorance displayed. The current state of audio "knowledge" out there is terrifying at times. I have been loathe to even post on SM when people come at me with "facts" that are so fucking wrong and ignorant suppositions.

3. I'm trying to wrap my brain around the purpose of an 85 dB pad. I call that a 'power soak' (ha ha). Like someone said, "Might as well skip the mic preamp!"
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:30 pm

That was exactly my thought re the 85dB pads (which are meant for lecture hall and industrial announcement PA's per the marketing) - to use 'em like a power soak after the pre to be able to crank it for whatever dirt results, particularly on tube pre's.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.