New Waves Subscription model

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Re: New Waves Subscription model

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:19 am

I guess it is good everyone complained LOUDLY.

Waves says they are bringing back perpetual licenses alongside the subscriptions... makes a hell of a lot more sense.

https://www.waves.com/news/perpetual-wa ... s-are-back

I don't think I'll be buying anymore from Waves (after this stunt), but hopefully I can do WUP if something breaks and I want to continue using them.
Last edited by digitaldrummer on Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:21 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:49 am
drumsound wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:43 am
If somehow something I did in the past needed to be reworked, I'll get one month if there are a Waves things on them.
That's a good idea, although I would probably first see if I could re-create it with something else. But if I couldn't then a one month (or maybe the 7-day free trial if that still exists down the road) could be all that's needed.
Yeah, that's a good option too.
analogika wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:17 pm
I use their Abbey Road stuff all the time.

This really sucks.
It does, but you'll be able to use it for the time being. Maybe by the time you're forced into a bigger system update where it will be a problem, Waves will have turned back.

analogika
gettin' sounds

Post by analogika » Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:43 am

drumsound wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:21 am
analogika wrote:

This really sucks.
It does, but you'll be able to use it for the time being. Maybe by the time you're forced into a bigger system update where it will be a problem, Waves will have turned back.
They already have. :-)

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:56 am

analogika wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:43 am
drumsound wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:21 am
analogika wrote:

This really sucks.
They already have. :-)
I must be a prophet. :P

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jitters » Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:55 pm

Pretty much on topic I guess, but even iPhone/iPad apps are awful in this regard. I miss being able to pay a one time fee for things. Now everything wants to tag along on my credit card into perpetuity.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:00 am

I heard from a reliable source that the real reason they went back to the purchase model is that the subscription system wasn't working correctly. Basically, they released something not ready for the public and had to pivot back, and then made it seem like it was a response to user demand.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:08 am

drumsound wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:00 am
I heard from a reliable source that the real reason they went back to the purchase model is that the subscription system wasn't working correctly. Basically, they released something not ready for the public and had to pivot back, and then made it seem like it was a response to user demand.
file that with all of the other reasons to avoid Waves in the future. I've certainly lost any confidence, although I still do use a few Waves plugins on almost everything... That will likely need to change some day, but the urgent need seems to be delayed a bit (they still function as of today).
Mike

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:45 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:08 am
drumsound wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:00 am
file that with all of the other reasons to avoid Waves in the future. I've certainly lost any confidence, although I still do use a few Waves plugins on almost everything... That will likely need to change some day, but the urgent need seems to be delayed a bit (they still function as of today).
Yeah, I wasn't even going to install them on my new system last year, but I was still doing revisions on a project using them. I also added Sibilance and that has been super useful, so I might have to start a new deesser search.

I didn't install my IK stuff because their method is so damn clunky...

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:03 am

drumsound wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:45 am
I don't really like the "installer overlord" apps either. However at least IK's does actually keep track of which versions are installed and if any upgrades are necessary. the downside I found is that it seems to be scattered across several different apps - ie, the installer and then the custom shop, etc. if you have stuff like Amplitube or Tracks (which I do have but never use). So yeah, not a fan of that at all and I only installed a couple things for mostly older sessions.

I tried the Plugin Alliance Big Brother installer and it did not recognize any of the plugins I already had installed (which was a lot) so I immediately deleted it. Slate Digital's was just as bad. If they are to be of any use then I expect it to find my installed plugins and tell me if I need any updates. Otherwise I see it as just some kind of spying app (which they mostly are). Then again I also only connect my system to the internet for authorizing plugins or occasional OS updates
Mike

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:15 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:03 am
drumsound wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:45 am
I don't really like the "installer overlord" apps either. However at least IK's does actually keep track of which versions are installed and if any upgrades are necessary. the downside I found is that it seems to be scattered across several different apps - ie, the installer and then the custom shop, etc. if you have stuff like Amplitube or Tracks (which I do have but never use). So yeah, not a fan of that at all and I only installed a couple things for mostly older sessions.

I tried the Plugin Alliance Big Brother installer and it did not recognize any of the plugins I already had installed (which was a lot) so I immediately deleted it. Slate Digital's was just as bad. If they are to be of any use then I expect it to find my installed plugins and tell me if I need any updates. Otherwise I see it as just some kind of spying app (which they mostly are). Then again I also only connect my system to the internet for authorizing plugins or occasional OS updates
That kind of stuff really is a pain in the ass. I'm also sick of how many "this is you last chance to get this discount" emails. I have too many plugins as it is!