Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by vvv » Mon May 08, 2023 6:43 pm

I have one of those.

I don't play enuff keys to notice stuff like "aftertouch", but it's a fun noisemaker, goes with the little Microkorg.

Top o' da page atcha's!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Tue May 09, 2023 4:37 pm

vvv wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 6:43 pm
I don't play enuff keys to notice stuff like "aftertouch", but it's a fun noisemaker, goes with the little Microkorg.
I've been practising piano, with actual sheet music. What with there being a much better piano coming from friends, I figured I shouldn't suck quite so much at the instrument.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed May 10, 2023 6:04 pm

Wish I had room.

About 17 years ago I hadda Rhodes 88 suitcase - story was it was Billy Preston's, lifted from the Stones atta Chgo concert in the late 70's.

It had lotsa issues with warped hammer arms, and missing pads, and corroded pups, jacks, everything. Amp was pretty OK, tho'.

Took me a year to restore it and I haddit about a year after but it was in the living room and I had little kids and when the guy gave it to me asked for it back and offered to trade a girl's bedroom set, I took the trade.

Sounded cool, but I couldn't really play well enuff to record it then, so I took the deal.

Got rid of the bedroom set last year and this, but I kept the bureau.

Now I can play, have a cuppla refaces, a Yama S2, a cuppla mono-synths ...

Still not sure I could ID "aftertouch".
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri May 12, 2023 9:23 am

A Rupert Neve Designs 6 space 500 rack just showed up with custom d-sub to tt cables. This should allow me to use my Bereich03 BAX EQ that showed up a couple weeks ago and taught my Aphex rack was running -10 and the psu wasn't stock to allow me to change that.

Anyone need an unbalanced 4 space 500 rack?

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Sun May 14, 2023 10:53 am

Speaking of aftertouch, CL recently handed me a Korg Wavestation EX (or an E, because the X sticker fell off somewhere along the way). This is one of those synths that's kinda been on my list since maybe 1995. It basically the opposite of analog, so it's not particularly fashionable right now.

And the aftertouch on it works, but is way out of calibration. I really have to lean into it to make it go. It's got some trimpots inside, but it looks like it's a major undertaking to get in to them. Maybe a project for a rainy afternoon like today.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Mon May 15, 2023 5:48 pm

The Scum wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 10:53 am
Speaking of aftertouch, CL recently handed me a Korg Wavestation EX (or an E, because the X sticker fell off somewhere along the way). This is one of those synths that's kinda been on my list since maybe 1995. It basically the opposite of analog, so it's not particularly fashionable right now.

And the aftertouch on it works, but is way out of calibration. I really have to lean into it to make it go. It's got some trimpots inside, but it looks like it's a major undertaking to get in to them. Maybe a project for a rainy afternoon like today.
Anything from that era (like my Yamaha S-30) is basically vintage, like buying a Minimoog in 1984. Expect some repairs. I replaced a bunch of caps, a few buttons, and the parameter pots on the S-30.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue May 16, 2023 11:16 am

Wampler mini Plexi - nice MIAB. Noteworthy is a mids boost switch and a bass boot switch; I like Wampler pedals.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue May 16, 2023 11:19 am

The Scum wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 10:53 am
And the aftertouch on it works, but is way out of calibration. I really have to lean into it to make it go.
Well, now I know I ain't know what "aftertouch" is.

And here I was thinkin' it might be sompin' romantic-like ... :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Tue May 23, 2023 6:17 am

Early 60's Sony SRA-3 Stereo Tube Preamp. Couple 2 channel tube preamp that i'm using for direct instruments like bass, drum machine, synth, electric piano. Wonderful warm, thick sound. it's unbalanced in/out via RCA but that's not an issue for me. These were made for tape machines, they paired with a head unit, but just like the ampex 351/600/601/602 they work well for instruments as well.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed May 24, 2023 1:18 pm

Catalinbread Naga Viper - much more than a great treble-booster.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed May 24, 2023 2:18 pm

Even though I was bitchin about it I still ponied up the $29 to upgrade my Soundtoys bundle to the new 5.4 which includes "Super Plate" (the upgrade to Little Plate) and after a couple minutes I think Super Plate might be a pretty nice upgrade. I just did a couple of quick tests but I am looking forward to using it more. It finally has both high and low filters and also a pre-delay. but the different plate models seem pretty useful too. might have to break out the manual to understand what some of the little icons mean (I get tube and transistor but not sure about the 3rd...).

And I guess $29 for the upgrade was not horrible. I hadn't given them any of my $$ since 2016 apparently (when I bought the bundle). but they always seem to have issues and I had to contact support. instead of getting a license I just got an email that says "an error occurred". Luckily they responded within a couple of hours and sent the license.

update: - def check out the manual -- https://www.soundtoys.com/wp-content/up ... Manual.pdf

many new excellent features!
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Colorblind
takin' a dinner break

Post by Colorblind » Thu May 25, 2023 12:29 pm

markjazzbassist wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 6:17 am
Early 60's Sony SRA-3 Stereo Tube Preamp. Couple 2 channel tube preamp that i'm using for direct instruments like bass, drum machine, synth, electric piano. Wonderful warm, thick sound. it's unbalanced in/out via RCA but that's not an issue for me. These were made for tape machines, they paired with a head unit, but just like the ampex 351/600/601/602 they work well for instruments as well.
I’ve had one for years. Not much clean headroom, but that’s the charm. Love it on bass, direct in through the front.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Fri May 26, 2023 6:45 am

Colorblind wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 12:29 pm
markjazzbassist wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 6:17 am
I’ve had one for years. Not much clean headroom, but that’s the charm. Love it on bass, direct in through the front.
i'm using it on bass as a preamp, i'm going in through the AUX IN (1/4" plug for Bass, RCA to Sony) and then coming out the Monitor Out to my Line Input on my recorder. I'm able to get a warm and somewhat clean sound that i really like. Just like a tube amp before breakup.

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Sat May 27, 2023 3:04 pm

Spark "Go" 5w amp. Not that I needed another battery powered amp, but maybe it does something my Roland MicroCube, Vox DA-5, other mini Vox, mini Marshall, Danelectro Honeytone, Danelectro amp-in-a-bag, and Smokey don't. Maybe I'll run its line out/headphone into a big amp, and see what's what.
IMG_3105.jpg
IMG_3105.jpg (473.48 KiB) Viewed 5035 times

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun May 28, 2023 6:26 am

CraigS63 wrote:
Sat May 27, 2023 3:04 pm
Spark "Go" 5w amp. Not that I needed another battery powered amp, but maybe it does something my Roland MicroCube, Vox DA-5, other mini Vox, mini Marshall, Danelectro Honeytone, Danelectro amp-in-a-bag, and Smokey don't.
what, no pignose?
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com