Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Re: Latest gear you've acquired.....

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Wed May 31, 2023 8:13 pm

So this arrived tonight. Short scale, Japanese, almost certainly mid-'70s Matsumoku. Looks to be the same as an Aria 1560. I've been thinking about getting a short-scale, & i stumbled upon this one online at a very nice price. Needs strings & a little cosmetic help, but it plays nice & sounds pretty good!
bass small.jpg
bass small.jpg (96.32 KiB) Viewed 7349 times

Antler23
pluggin' in mics

Post by Antler23 » Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:26 pm

Deltalab Effectron II. I had one as a basement teen and couldn't resist grabbing another. Maybe I'm misremembering, but I thought the Feedback knob allowed for actual self-feedback, but the one I have now stops short. Still, a very lovely "analog" sounding digital box...

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:02 pm

winky dinglehoffer wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 8:13 pm
So this arrived tonight. Short scale, Japanese, almost certainly mid-'70s Matsumoku. Looks to be the same as an Aria 1560. I've been thinking about getting a short-scale, & i stumbled upon this one online at a very nice price. Needs strings & a little cosmetic help, but it plays nice & sounds pretty good!

bass small.jpg
That's a beauty!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:37 am

vvv wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:02 pm
That's a beauty!
It is indeed--I'm thrilled I got it. Figuring out the right strings for it might take time--I've got a couple different sets ordered to see what feels better--& there are a few relatively simple issues that have to be taken care of. I'm contemplating getting a '51 P Bass style pickup, since that's the bass it most closely resembles (aside from being short scale), but I'll probably just keep the OG Japanese one in for the time being.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:21 pm

I just rec's a Line 6 M5 I got cheap.

I'm not a huge digital guy, as I fancy I can often tell the difference.

With this on some stuff, I can, some I can't.

It's really cool, tho', for quickly auditioning pedals, and settings, even if I'll likely switch to what correlative standard boxes I have when actually playing, particularly live.

But it's really solid, has a huge # of pedals and many examples of related types of different brands.

And it's stereo.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Post by Burnt Ernie » Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:37 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 2:18 pm
Even though I was bitchin about it I still ponied up the $29 to upgrade my Soundtoys bundle to the new 5.4 which includes "Super Plate" (the upgrade to Little Plate) and after a couple minutes I think Super Plate might be a pretty nice upgrade. I just did a couple of quick tests but I am looking forward to using it more. It finally has both high and low filters and also a pre-delay. but the different plate models seem pretty useful too. might have to break out the manual to understand what some of the little icons mean (I get tube and transistor but not sure about the 3rd...).

And I guess $29 for the upgrade was not horrible. I hadn't given them any of my $$ since 2016 apparently (when I bought the bundle). but they always seem to have issues and I had to contact support. instead of getting a license I just got an email that says "an error occurred". Luckily they responded within a couple of hours and sent the license.

update: - def check out the manual -- https://www.soundtoys.com/wp-content/up ... Manual.pdf

many new excellent features!

I just picked that up yesterday,and love it! I havent dug into what features are new in 5.4. I still have my original install of Studio One from 2016 on my souped up Win 7 machines,and they are still super fast and stable. Last few new installs of other plug ins were nicht sehr gut.
I am the Walnut

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:49 am

Aguilar bass comp - the earlier version.

Very nice, blendable, has top jacks altho' it's a little bigger than a avg. pedal, clean sound.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:23 am

I know these are a couple small items, but I'm looking forward to using both today (just arrived yesterday).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002D0KOG

this is going in front of my kick drum - the DR short boom I have there now doesn't allow me to position how I want without sticking out too far, and then I'm always afraid it's going to get kicked/moved.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BYDHTPK2

this is going on my hihat mic stand because I've never been able to get it positioned exactly how I want it. Same kinda thing here, either the mic boom was sticking way out, or I kept it close and then the mic clip would only go to a certain angle and I needed a little more out of it...

problems solved!
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:04 pm

Catalinbread Kama Sutra(GE) - C-bread has become one of my fave brands of pedals. This one is a germanium distortion pedal that can go from drive to fuzz - very cool interactive 4 knob thing where you can not only change the gain amount but also change the EQ orientation, from like a OCD-ish drive to Green Russian bass fuzz to a smoove Rat - it can sound like AM radio but also be set to shake subs, never really clean and not as dirty as, say, Zvex.

I plugged a Tele innit yesterday running into a Hoof, a Electric Mistress and a Memory Boy to a Pro,Jr. and just jammed for a hour - my neighbors may hate me even more.*

I now wanna pick up the silicon version.

*Not true, actually, as the 'hood was all standing in my front yard calling out, "Encore!" and, "More, more, more!".
Of course, that was after the cops pepper-sprayed me and cut off the electricity at the utility pole.
Happens a lot.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:34 am

1.jpg
1.jpg (110.09 KiB) Viewed 6817 times
New studio build in my future. I'm excited to be moving from a one car garage to a two car garage.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:02 pm

Wow!!! :!: :!: :!:

Really beautiful house! Congrats!
A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:34 am
New studio build in my future. I'm excited to be moving from a one car garage to a two car garage.

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:49 pm

Scodiddly wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:02 pm
Wow!!! :!: :!: :!:

Really beautiful house! Congrats!
A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:34 am
Thanks! It's amazing what can happen when you move from the really expensive big city to a not so expensive smaller city 45 minutes away.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:06 pm

Nice digs! When's the studio-warming?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:39 am

vvv wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:06 pm
Nice digs! When's the studio-warming?
I take possession at the end of August. It'll likely be Early 2024 before I'm making music in there.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:37 pm

8)

here's my latest (on the right)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.