Acoustic Guitar Size in a Bass Heavy Mix

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Mustang Martigan
takin' a dinner break

Acoustic Guitar Size in a Bass Heavy Mix

Post by Mustang Martigan » Mon May 22, 2023 6:14 pm

If I want to record an Acoustic and the rhythm section is already quite bass heavy, would a smaller sized guitar be a better choice? Or will EQ allow any size to work just as well?

Hopefully I'm not being too vague for a proper answer.

Thanks.

vvv
zen recordist

Re: Acoustic Guitar Size in a Bass Heavy Mix

Post by vvv » Mon May 22, 2023 11:01 pm

One option is Nashville-strung guitar, where you use lighter strings on the E, A, D, and G so that you can tune them an octave higher - it's based on the idear of a 12-string with the lower octave strings removed.

Or you can shelf off a lot of the lows, boost some highs - I like a parametric and a shelf for this but a graphic or a tilt can also work.

A smaller guitar might be easier to work with, but mic'ing is important whatever the size of the guitar - pointing at the neck is brighter vs. at the sound hole, from above rather than straight on, a little farther away, etc.

I have found that a chorus on the acoustic can also brighten it to cut better, or sometimes a small and tight plate reverb.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue May 23, 2023 4:33 am

The correct answer is:
Mustang Martigan wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 6:14 pm
Or will EQ allow any size to work just as well?
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue May 23, 2023 5:08 am

The missing equation here is whether the acoustic is acting as part of the rhythm section or if it's a featured instrument. How big and prominent does it need to be in the mix?
If it's acting like a percussion instrument then you can pick a bright mic and roll off the lows until it fits the way it should. If it's a featured instrument you may need to follow a similar path but also use eq to carve some space out of the rest of the rhythm section so it has room to shine.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue May 23, 2023 6:45 am

arrangement is the other thing I haven't seen anyone say yet - by that I mean, if it's a strumming part, don't play the same chords. play different voicings, maybe higher up the neck, or a harmony, or capo it (or like VVV said, alternate tuning). If it's a picked/plucked part, then again something higher up the neck so it's not sitting in the same frequency range. A smaller guitar won't necessarily change that since it's still tuned the same. and I agree with using a brighter mic, if that's what sounds good (that usually works good for a strummed guitar but may not be best for an arpeggiated thing...)
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue May 23, 2023 9:56 am

In addition to the great advice above, I'd think a lot about mic choice. I smooth, even, extended mic is not actually what you want. A mic with rolled off bottom and a presence peak is going to be much better. I love AT Pro37s for stuff like this, but a lot of things can work, including dynamic mics. A Beyer M201 could work, and to get a little space around it an EV 635A might be the ticket. Placement is often based on tone desired, and the function of the part.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed May 24, 2023 1:16 pm

And then there's the nuclear option ...

... sub in a banjo. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

frans_13
takin' a dinner break

Post by frans_13 » Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:35 am

What role does the guitar play in that song/at that part of the arrangement? What kinda frequency range does it need to occupy to do the job? Does it still work when i cut the lows? Do it get away with just an SM57, mono? Is the guitar played well enough to contribute low frequencies to the rhythm?
Due to luck and circumstances i am offering a limited run of Beyerdynamic M380 clones with unused Beyer capsules. PM me for info.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:30 am

i like sdc for nice clear top end but not as much lows - akg 460 is my fave for this.
the new rules : there are no rules

vernier
pushin' record

Post by vernier » Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:23 pm

I'm thinking mic placement and rolling off some lows should work with about any acoustic.