1073's... Real deal or one of the many clones?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Re: 1073's... Real deal or one of the many clones?

Post by trodden » Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:37 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:21 pm
Ever tried the Avedis MA5? I've got one and I put it on my bass drum (kick if you prefer) and it's never left that spot. I tried it once for a female vocal and it was awful (just too much for her) but I should try it on some other stuff again. I always forget and grab something else. And on kick it is just HUUUGE. I would like to have a pair of these too.
That's one that's been "on the list" for sure.
It was between a pair of those or a pair of Burl B1d's a few years ago, and I went with the Burls, which are fantastic preamps.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:02 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:54 pm
vvv wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:05 am
FWIW, and on the inexpensive end (as always), I have a Yamaha PM1000 pre racked by someone here, really like it on guitars.

And the ISA One is said to be a Neve design - lotsa options and it's wonderful with ribbons, too.

No idear how close they are to 1073's.
the ISA's are great but I think far away from the 1073 sound. The ISA is clean with tons of gain (I like them a lot for ribbons). Rumor was that the later designs (like the ISA and RND) are closer to what RN really wanted, but just couldn't get with the components of the time.

did I rack your PM1000? I can't remember anymore. I did so many back then (10-15+ years now)... I still have one that I kept and it's cool for certain things.
Yeah, Mr Neve couldn't understand why people wanted his 10x designs. He always thought his later creations were better. His partners and designers kinda had to twist his arm to get the Shelford stuff happening.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:25 am

vvv wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:06 pm
digitaldrummer wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:54 pm
did I rack your PM1000? I can't remember anymore. I did so many back then (10-15+ years now)... I still have one that I kept and it's cool for certain things.
I really can't recall, but you might have.
yeah, looks like one I did!
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:12 pm

8)

I will say it is the mostest cleanest, stream-lined looking piece in my racks.

Of my <$1k pre's (and they all are), it sounds closes to the ISA1, a little meatier in the low mids, not as bright; the PM1000 is a fave on guitar amps (I alternate between a UA710, the ISA1, a UA110, and a Altec 1589b for guitars, (altho' recent recordings are mostly the Zoom SR16 pre's, because live).

I like to use cleaner paths for guitar amps, with only a little "colour" - I mostly play OD to high-gain. My shite vocals, by contrast, I feel are helped by things like Meek pre's, or stuff with tubes (Summit, UA), and not subtle compressors.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

numberthirty
steve albini likes it

Post by numberthirty » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:09 pm

"Grumpy Uncle..." take?

You have to be able to ask yourself if something is getting by based on that it will bring John/Jane Public in the door.

Once you've done that?

It probably makes sense to be able to level with yourself as far as if it will ever actually get to do it's thing during the time that you will own it. Probably no real point in owning a Ferrari just do get on highways where you can legally on do fifty-five/sixty-five.