roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Re: The bottom of the snare

Post by roscoenyc » Sun May 26, 2024 6:09 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 8:26 am
roscoenyc wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:18 am
I always mic the bottom. If I get tracks from somebody with no mic on the bottom I re-amp the snare track with a snare drum sitting on top of a Fender Pro Jr and mic the snares there. I almost always have an 1176 plug on the bottom snare fast attack/slowest release.
I forgot about that reamp trick. I have done that a couple of times. It's cool. I'm going to try that 1176 setting.

How important is the mics being mirrored to each other? I always wonder if I'm only trying to do that because I like visual symmetry.
Not important at all.
I usually use an AT ATM-23 but really any mic will do on the bottom.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon May 27, 2024 3:54 pm

roscoenyc wrote:
I always mic the bottom. If I get tracks from somebody with no mic on the bottom I re-amp the snare track with a snare drum sitting on top of a Fender Pro Jr and mic the snares there. I almost always have an 1176 plug on the bottom snare fast attack/slowest release.
now I just needa snare ... :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue May 28, 2024 8:47 am

vvv wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 3:54 pm
roscoenyc wrote:
now I just needa snare ... :twisted:
Craigslist is your friend. If you're just buying one to put a speaker on to 'reamp' snares, a cheap student model should be fine.

There's also the free Wavesfactory Snare buzz plugin. https://www.wavesfactory.com/free-vst-plugins/. The link says VST, but I have their freebies as AAX. Their free transient shaper is also really good. It's the first transient shaper I tried and I felt was doing something worthwhile.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue May 28, 2024 4:16 pm

wasn't someone just joking about that snare buzz plug?

yeah, I may hafta do that; my drummer is a minimalist, doesn't keep old stuff, unlike me whose house is, as my daughter says, "like living inna guitar store"
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed May 29, 2024 8:40 am

vvv wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 4:16 pm
wasn't someone just joking about that snare buzz plug?

yeah, I may hafta do that; my drummer is a minimalist, doesn't keep old stuff, unlike me whose house is, as my daughter says, "like living inna guitar store"
It actually works. I've used it on a track where I didn't like what the mic I used under the snare was doing, so I was able to get a different under snare sound that worked better in context.