stupid question regarding EH12AY7 or any other outboard pre

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:13 pm

JC [analoghacker] you rule for answering all of these questions. Thank you. I hope you and yours are well. 1st birthday coming up??!? or 2nd? I cant remember, I just know it is the 17th of december... have fun.

Matti
studio intern

Post by Matti » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:23 pm

Thank You, Sir!
I was hoping it would be simple enough for me to do...
The next move is to buy one! ( and the transformer )
These might happen in january as I?m quite busy
with some projects and family -but now that i know
it can be done easyly enough I?ll do it ..and report
what happened!

Seasons etc.. +cheers
Matti

Immanuel
ass engineer

Post by Immanuel » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:12 am

analoghacker wrote:make sure to use a 12AU7 in the right spot or you will have very little out.
I'm getting confused ... right <-> left ... or right <-> wrong???

If I understood one of your former posts right, the right spot for the 12AU7 is in the left spot. Another confusion: Right and left from which view point? I figure there are different options:

Option 1: Pre on the floor positioned in front of you as a stomp box, pots pointing towards the ceiling, and power plug pointing left. I would personally call this view "from above".

Option 2: You are holding the pre in your hands looking at the plugs, pots pointing to the ceiling and the power plug pointing right. I would personally call this view "from behind".

When you write from the "front", it could in my mind mean both things.

Other ways to describe it would be:

Input pot side vs. output pot side, or phantom switch side vs. polarity switch side, or power plug side vs. no power plug side.

I like the pre, and I bought a 2U shelf for it today for safer and easier gigging. I guess the thing is light enough to be held in place with a bunch of Velcro.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:40 am

Immanuel wrote:
analoghacker wrote:make sure to use a 12AU7 in the right spot or you will have very little out.
I'm getting confused ... right <-> left ... or right <-> wrong???

If I understood one of your former posts right, the right spot for the 12AU7 is in the left spot. Another confus .... er and easier gigging. I guess the thing is light enough to be held in place with a bunch of Velcro.
I'm pretty sure analoghacker means "right" in the sense of "correct" in that post. Which would, technically, indicate that the AU goes on the "left" as you view the unit from above with the graphics visible right side up.

Bravo
audio school

Post by Bravo » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:20 am

I am thinking about buying one of these after all I've read about them and was curious analoghacker, can't I just buy a simple Y-adapter to move from balanced to unbalanced? I see a site that sells(say that 10 times fast) 1 XLR to 2 rca Y-Adapters for $11. This would allow me to run it right into my DJ Mixer(I'm an old school beat maker from way back). It's a Numark with push button sends(clean) for each channel so I could just send it through to my soundcard or whatever.

At the risk of sounding totally wack isn't balanced and unbalanced a fancy way of saying stereo and mono? Could you please clarify? Cheers

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:31 pm

Balanced is not interchangable with stereo the way you suspect. If you run a splitter out of that pre like you plan to do, the hum will be overwhelming. Seriously, don't even bother trying.

I think (assuming 'color' is your objective) you should look at the ehx lpb 2ube. It has dual mono and it can run out unbalanced just fine.

Bravo
audio school

Post by Bravo » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:45 pm

Thank you for helping out a N :shock: :shock: B!

BTW I'm just getting this for soul vocals(never recorded vocals before) because I wan't a vintage sound for less than $200. I hope the 2ube is good for vocals as well? The only other thing I'm considering is an Art Pro Channel but people seem to like the sound of the EH's. Also, I can always just get a Di Box (IMP2 as suggested by analoghacker).

Cheers

jckinnick
buyin' a studio

Post by jckinnick » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:43 pm

Just got one of these and im not feeling the 1/4 output but no 1/4 input design.

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:12 pm

Bravo wrote:Thank you for helping out a N :shock: :shock: B!

BTW I'm just getting this for soul vocals(never recorded vocals before) because I wan't a vintage sound for less than $200. I hope the 2ube is good for vocals as well? The only other thing I'm considering is an Art Pro Channel but people seem to like the sound of the EH's. Also, I can always just get a Di Box (IMP2 as suggested by analoghacker).

Cheers
Oh, I thought you were going to use it for DJ'ing. Well, an lpb 2ube will make things vintage-esque but so would a lot of other things. What you really need to enjoy the ehx mic pre, though, is a mixer or interface with balanced ins.

Bravo
audio school

Post by Bravo » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:44 pm

EH 12AY7 + Whirlwind IMP2 di box it is then(for now). Thanks Taters!

hillfield
audio school

Post by hillfield » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:46 am

hi all

this kind of thread is so helpful for people like me just starting the journey into recording, and trying out interesting kit... this is my first post on the board, so would like to make clear I'm pretty new to recording, and looking to be able to record decent quality demos at home

I've just invested in an EH Mic Pre - sadly, the power adaptor seems to be faulty, as it makes an unholy whirring noise when I plug it in, so hoping a new power supply arrives today.

my 'studio' setup is:
- Studio Projects B1 Condensor mic
- Edirol UA25 USB audio capture box (tech specs - http://www.roland.com/products/en/UA-25/specs.html)
- EH12AY7 Mic Pre preamp
- a selection of pro xlr-xlr and xlr-1/4" leads
- Radial Pro DI Box
- hi-spec'd Dell PC

I'm primarily recording acoustic & bass guitars, ukuleles (!), harmonmicas, melodicas and glockenspiels...

so my question:

I was getting a lot of hum when recording through the Mic Pre, which I'm figuring is aligned to the dodgy power supply. that said, what is the proper chain? my guess is:

> microphone, connected by xlr-xlr to
> EH Mic Pre, connected by xlr-xlr to
> Edirol UA25, connected by USB cable to
> PC

should I be using an XLR to 1/4" for my Edirol device? Should I be turning the gain up full on the Edirol?

sorry if this is slightly confused, but behind the hiss, I could hear an amazing leap in what I'm getting from my B1, and woudl love to get this nice and clean.

many thanks

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:17 pm

4 years this thread?!

4 years!

Holy cow...is that any kind of record for TOMB or have there been other's? LOL
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

capnreverb
takin' a dinner break

Post by capnreverb » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:27 pm

KennyLusk wrote:4 years this thread?!

4 years!

Holy cow...is that any kind of record for TOMB or have there been other's? LOL
That is the glory of using the search button before posting a new topic!

BTW, I thinks me is gonna gets me one of these! For a $200 buck pre, it sure gets a lot of love.

soul&folk
audio school graduate

Post by soul&folk » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:43 am

hillfield wrote:hi all
so my question:

I was getting a lot of hum when recording through the Mic Pre, which I'm figuring is aligned to the dodgy power supply. that said, what is the proper chain? my guess is:

> microphone, connected by xlr-xlr to
> EH Mic Pre, connected by xlr-xlr to
> Edirol UA25, connected by USB cable to
> PC

should I be using an XLR to 1/4" for my Edirol device? Should I be turning the gain up full on the Edirol?
I also use the edirol ua-25 when I record on a laptop and actually just received the 12ay7 in the mail this morning. (that's why I'm lurking on this 4 year old thread this morning)

Yes, you will need an xlr to TRS cable, What you're currently doing by going into the ua-25 with an xlr input, is using both the 12ay7 preamp and then running through the ua-25 mic preamp as well. With the correct xlr-trs cable you will bypass the ua-25 mic preamp and only make use of its A/D converter.

hillfield
audio school

Post by hillfield » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:12 am

ah, that's really helpful - before I blow any more money on cables I don't need this month, that means I need a balanced XLR to TRS cable, yeah? have used this guy for instrument leads, so thought I'd go there again:

http://www.surebuyz.com/CustomleadZ/LDZ-0531.html

thanks for your help!