Pink Floyd: How'd They Do That?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:09 pm

hculture wrote:
cgarges wrote:
RefD wrote:*carefully examines various still frames from the DSOTM sections of the Live At Pompeii Director's Cut DVD*

*fails to reach any conclusions other than the Synthi A is pretty kickass and that custom guitar Gilmour is playing sure seems sweet*
And that there are a lot of U67s and KM86s in action.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

nice to know im not the only one who does that, my girlfriend hates it. "HEY they're using a royer blah blah blah!!" her: "HEY! who cares!"
:lol:
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Fieryjack
steve albini likes it

Post by Fieryjack » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:59 pm

"And that there are a lot of U67s and KM86s in action."

Really? Where are U67s being used?

Did anyone ever notice that Nick Mason used red electrical tape over cymbal washer/pads to muffle his drums (which sound great)? He used (and uses) Paiste of course.

Though I was surprised to read that the ride cymbal that is so fantastic on DSOTM is actually like an 18" ride...go figure.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:32 pm

Fieryjack wrote:Really? Where are U67s being used?

On the recent DVD release, there are shots of David Gilmour cutting some of the vocals into a U67. I also seem to remember seeing them up on some of the other footage. Maybe on Leslie cabinet or as ambient mics or something. I'd have to watch it again, but they're definitely there.
Fieryjack wrote:Though I was surprised to read that the ride cymbal that is so fantastic on DSOTM is actually like an 18" ride...go figure.
Apparently, Nick actually used 18" and 16" ride cymbals in the studio at various points. Not sure what was on Dark Side. I read a quote from him in 1975 where he talked about using Gretsch drums in the studio, too. This was a surprise to me.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

ChrisCo
pushin' record

Post by ChrisCo » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:11 am

hculture wrote:
cgarges wrote:
RefD wrote:*carefully examines various still frames from the DSOTM sections of the Live At Pompeii Director's Cut DVD*

*fails to reach any conclusions other than the Synthi A is pretty kickass and that custom guitar Gilmour is playing sure seems sweet*
And that there are a lot of U67s and KM86s in action.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

nice to know im not the only one who does that, my girlfriend hates it. "HEY they're using a royer blah blah blah!!" her: "HEY! who cares!"
+1
I'm all about a little kick and snare

Jess P
takin' a dinner break

Post by Jess P » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:02 pm

wedge wrote:Rent and/or buy the DVD Greatest Albums Dark Side of the Moon, produced by VH1, and you'll learn a few more, such as the tape loop at the beginning of Money that if I remember correctly, Roger Waters created at home with his own reel to reel, then took it into the studio, not knowing how it would be used. Once they set it up, they realized that it created an odd time signature, and they went with it, to develop the song...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NKDSDbipGU