Latest gear you've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:59 am

the ballet company i work for just inherited a bunch of video gear and an older avid system. the thing was apparently like $80,000 when it was new, but now with the transition to HD video it's probably kind of counter productive to try and learn the damn thing when we've got machines that can handle HD editing just fine, that i'm super productive on.

but hey, nothing like getting pile of huge SCSI hard drives, a digidesign 888 audio I/0 and the Avid video interface all in sexy computer beige, along with a single processor 900something mhz G4 server, a canon xl2, some wired lavs, and some tripods and giant crt monitors and playback/recording decks and such for FREE. i'll take what i can get. i'll find a cool use for some of this stuff at some point.

i think i'm gonna have to make one of those craigslit adds that people post here from time to time to laugh at advertising "full service pro audio/visual recording studio! make your record and make your music video! one low price! be like the pros for a fraction of the price!" type shit. :wink: i'm not really gonna do that but it's the thought that counts.
the tape is rolling, the ones and zeros are... um... ones and zeroing.
http://www.davewatkinsmusic.com

Karl5
audio school graduate

Ampex AG300 8 track reel to reel

Post by Karl5 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:52 am

I recently picked up and Ampex AG300 8 track machine with 8 AG350 preamps and a dolby a system. Great tape machine that was custom built for Screen Gems in 1965. Supposedly it was used to record Green Acres and other tv show around the era.
I am also setting up two ampex 351 machines on stereo and one mono.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Re: Ampex AG300 8 track reel to reel

Post by calaverasgrandes » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:20 am

Karl5 wrote:I recently picked up and Ampex AG300 8 track machine with 8 AG350 preamps and a dolby a system. Great tape machine that was custom built for Screen Gems in 1965. Supposedly it was used to record Green Acres and other tv show around the era.
I am also setting up two ampex 351 machines on stereo and one mono.
but.....analog is dead?
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:42 am

dave watkins wrote:the ballet company i work for just inherited a bunch of video gear and an older avid system. the thing was apparently like $80,000 when it was new, but now with the transition to HD video it's probably kind of counter productive to try and learn the damn thing when we've got machines that can handle HD editing just fine, that i'm super productive on.

but hey, nothing like getting pile of huge SCSI hard drives, a digidesign 888 audio I/0 and the Avid video interface all in sexy computer beige, along with a single processor 900something mhz G4 server, a canon xl2, some wired lavs, and some tripods and giant crt monitors and playback/recording decks and such for FREE. i'll take what i can get. i'll find a cool use for some of this stuff at some point.

i think i'm gonna have to make one of those craigslit adds that people post here from time to time to laugh at advertising "full service pro audio/visual recording studio! make your record and make your music video! one low price! be like the pros for a fraction of the price!" type shit. :wink: i'm not really gonna do that but it's the thought that counts.
the Cannon XL2 is nothing to shake a stick at, even if it's SD. Good score
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

kinger
steve albini likes it

Post by kinger » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:13 pm

ART PRO VLA II, sorry to write that all in caps but that's what it says on the box.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:10 pm

kinger wrote:ART PRO VLA II, sorry to write that all in caps but that's what it says on the box.
Yeah when I'm writing about my ART MPA GOLD I'm always tempted to write ART MPA, GOLD!

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:27 pm

Ryan Silva wrote:
the Cannon XL2 is nothing to shake a stick at, even if it's SD. Good score
hell yeah, i've actually been using it a bunch already, there's a bunch of great stuff that i got, and i don't take it for granted, it's just really funny to me that the thing that was the most expensive brand new (the avid system) which i would have shat myself for 6 years ago... is now pretty lackluster in the grand scheme of things. confounded technology!

the damn thing still works well i just don't have a ton of time for it. especially when i have been using PC's and premiere for so many years. i'm going to try and get around to it and maybe use it for a machine to put together motion graphics, and video clips to be used for my live sets which are still SD projections.
the tape is rolling, the ones and zeros are... um... ones and zeroing.
http://www.davewatkinsmusic.com

stixnskin
audio school graduate

New toys

Post by stixnskin » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:01 pm

Just started down the 500 rabbit hole. Just bought a Shadow Hills Mono optigraph. So far on vocals and bass...Yummy!

losthighway
resurrected

Re: New toys

Post by losthighway » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:56 pm

stixnskin wrote:Just started down the 500 rabbit hole. Just bought a Shadow Hills Mono optigraph. So far on vocals and bass...Yummy!
Good for you! It is a rabbit hole, I feel some boyhood appeal to that whole system. I will sometimes find myself looking at my meager gear budget thinking, "Dude, what if you had a Pants, a 525, an Action, a pair of Great Rivers, and then just like 8 512c's. I could get some good tracks done with that!"

I look at my six space lunchbox and question myself, diversity or consistency?

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:48 am

a pair beyerdynamic m260's in original boxes with frequency response plots.

FOR FREE!
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

capnreverb
takin' a dinner break

Post by capnreverb » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:30 pm

A complete 70's set/deck of Brian Eno's "Oblique Stratagies". Every recording studio should have one.

studilaroche
studio intern

Post by studilaroche » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:04 pm

I just picked up an Apogee AD16x with the XHD card.
Last edited by studilaroche on Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:14 pm

dynomike wrote:a pair beyerdynamic m260's in original boxes with frequency response plots.

[bunch o'dots]
[/bunch o'dots]

FOR FREE!
Wow! Nice score! How'd that work?
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:31 pm

dynomike wrote:a pair beyerdynamic m260's in original boxes with frequency response plots.

FOR FREE!
Ok that qualifies as rubbing it in, you lucky bastard!!! :^:
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

Bryantx512
gettin' sounds

Post by Bryantx512 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:17 pm

I got an Earthworks M30 for $375. Looks brand new. I got it for measurement, but it sounds really nice on my cheapie acoustic.